Update to: WTF Knoxville show

So it was security guards or Law Enforcement Officers? People were jumping like crazy thinking it was LEO. Honestly it sucks and shouldn't have happened but probably the only thing that will happen is if you file a complaint with the Department of Commerce and they come in to do investigation and look at records of the security guards and maybe fine the show management.

I haven't seen much of anything mentioned about them being LEO's, but then again I haven't read the entire other thread on it. I know several LEO's and out of all of them I can't think of one that wouldn't have given the option to put the ammo in the car or at least given him the option to leave the event. From what's been described, I've seen this kind of attitude from security guards before. Seems that the ones that have no training or license are also uneducated as to what powers they actually have, and in general seem to think that they make the rules and whatever they say is law. I don't particularly care for those with this kind of attitude. Years ago I was even harassed by one who somewhere in the argument quickly flipped out his Texaco card (for some reason I was suppose to find this intimidating). He demanded my ID, so I handed him my police ID since at the time I was an explorer with the City PD here. It was fun to watch his attitude change so quickly. :D

Edited by MCSCOTT
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LE thing was all explained away in the original thread.

Basically a LE friend of mine mentioned it was probably another LE agency but I later found out it wasn't. It was all cleared up in the original thread. I admit when I am wrong, I don't have a problem with that. Read the original thread and you can see that. I based it on a current LE who has worked the shows in the past. I figured if anyone would know who took his side job he would.

I am farthest thing from a cop hater. Hell, the last one who came to my house got a red dot for his AR because he didn't have sights or anything else on it. He brought it in and I asked about sights. He said he didn't get issued any and that he guess he would walk it in if he had to use it. I stopped an auction early and gave him the red dot and we stood on my front porch and zeroed it. I always offer to help LE, with equipment and anything else I can. I worked in LE and know how bad it sucks trying to buy gear on your own dime when that dime is pretty small.

I have already contacted the appropriate department in Nashville. I have my course of action already mapped out and all I am waiting for now is a response from RK. He puts on great shows and I don't want to have the uneducated security guards affect that but when I was told it was the show promoter/owner who gave the go ahead to seize people's personal property that is where I place blame. I just want to see how he makes it right for me as well as others and that it doesn't happen again.

I was also told, I still need to verify this, that if the security guards were indeed unlicensed and they broke the law the employer is responsible as well because the guards are working as an agent of the employer. The employer can be held responsible for what his agents did as if he did the crime himself. I will try to verify this.

Dolomite

Security should never have taken your property like that, but there were about 20 signs posted outside the building, on all the doors, and the ticket booth about carrying ammunition into the show. I think security was getting irritated with people ignoring the signs & carrying it in anyway and acted unprofessionally about it. They should have been honest enough to give you the option to take it back to your car. Next time, simply leave your ammo in you vehicle and the rent-a-cops won't have a chance to steal again.

I sure hope that the "guards" are liable and will charged for the theft and providing security without a license.

Personally, I like RK's shows, he is the only promoter here in Memphis and I would hate to see anything happen that would dispel him from putting on shows in TN anymore.

I know that deals can be found on the internet, but prefer to by my guns, ammo, and gear at the gun show with cash. If you order on the internet there will be several permanent records of the transaction from the credit card company to the shipping company. I like the fact that I can conceal what property I own by purchasing through the avenue of gun shows.

From my experience, there are only two staff members working the RK shows (I attend the ones in Memphis, Jackson, Murfreesboro, and Williamson County AG center) that can actually poor piss out a boot with the instructions written on the heal. But, I have never heard of some of the issues, I have read here, concerning what takes place in Knoxville happening in other venues.

Just to give everyone an update:

I just spoke with Rex, from RK Shows, about what happened to me at the show. He was appologetic regarding the situation I had with security. He agreed that the security had no right to seize my property. He went on to say that this isn't the first problems he has heard of from the security firm. Part of the contract for the Expo center was that the Expo center mandates what security that is going to be used for his shows.

He went on to say that he is going to set up a meeting to discuss the security situation to try to get it resolved and if not it will be part of the contract for next year.

His call was greatly appreciated and he is making things right for me because of the problems I had at one of his shows.

I will say he has a lifetime customer because of how he handled this and I will be recommending his shows to anyone who asks.

Again, Rex is a standup guy.

Dolomite

Just to give everyone an update:

I just spoke with Rex, from RK Shows, about what happened to me at the show. He was appologetic regarding the situation I had with security. He agreed that the security had no right to seize my property. He went on to say that this isn't the first problems he has heard of from the security firm. Part of the contract for the Expo center was that the Expo center mandates what security that is going to be used for his shows.

He went on to say that he is going to set up a meeting to discuss the security situation to try to get it resolved and if not it will be part of the contract for next year.

His call was greatly appreciated and he is making things right for me because of the problems I had at one of his shows.

I will say he has a lifetime customer because of how he handled this and I will be recommending his shows to anyone who asks.

Again, Rex is a standup guy.

Dolomite

Good to hear it was handled that way because personally if he had wanted to argue the point with you in the situation I know for a fact that I would never attend one of their shows. Also gotta applaud you for taking the situation as far as you did, because if it weren't for guys like you these situations would only get worse.

It is believed that they were unlicensed security guards.

But hating cops is a hobby for alot of people on here.:P

It is a forum. Bashing sucks and should not be condoned, but news and info as well as posters opinions, and/or experiences although negative are not always bashing. I see that virtually every time anyone has a negative experience with a LEO and shares, people a quick to scream "cop bashing"!

Not always the case!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPS -TNRobocop viewpost.gif

But hating cops is a hobby for alot of people on here.:D

Kind of unfair....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPS -TNRobocop viewpost.gif

But hating prick cops is a hobby for alot of people on here.:rolleyes:

Fair...

Don't really understand the whole "hating cops" thing. If I go to Burger King and the guy at the computer is a prick... I'm not gonna like him.... It's pretty much fair across the board like that... at least for me.

I agree.:up:

Security should never have taken your property like that, but there were about 20 signs posted outside the building, on all the doors, and the ticket booth about carrying ammunition into the show. I think security was getting irritated with people ignoring the signs & carrying it in anyway and acted unprofessionally about it. They should have been honest enough to give you the option to take it back to your car. Next time, simply leave your ammo in you vehicle and the rent-a-cops won't have a chance to steal again.

Signs, signs everywhere theres signs.....

Pimp_Zone.jpg

Sorry sir... You have no grounds for filing an assault charge, seeing as you are not a pimp AND there was a sign stating you were subject to being b*tch slapped.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: