Gerber Back Paxe

Picked this little guy up for something small to keep in my bag. The grip felt really slick, so I fixed it with a little 550. It is very light weight and takes up very little room, but I think it will serve well for light duty chopping. It also came with a tough feeling sheath.

e8685a2f-1.jpg

66aff3bc-1.jpg

01b5ec5f-1.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are identical as the Fiskars line of axes. I've got the hatchet that's one size up from the Pack Axe, and the Super Split wood splitting axe.

They've both been great. They were both very sharp out of the box, and have held an edge well.

I don't know why you'd ever need to use a hatchet to split wood, but if you do be sure that you don't try to drive it through the wood by hitting the back of the head with another axe, hammer, etc...unlike most other steel tools, instead of deforming or mushrooming out, it will crack and break.

Good stuff. :stunned:

I want a full size axe in this lineup but have not gotten around to it yet. My buddy has the splitting maul which I have used. It works great and he has not torn it up yet. That says something. :stunned:

I keep the Fiskars hatchet in the back of my truck. It works great at light chopping duties. Very nice little hatchet. i have a full size single bit Jersey axe in the box as well for other occasions.

Guest bart_p

Big +1 on the Gerber/Fiskars line! I have the hatchet that is a size up from the one posted and it is a fantastic little piece of kit. I have yet to get around to wrapping the handle, but it will happen before my next survival/adventure trip.

Bart

• 3 weeks later...
Can't wait for a review. I've been looking at these for awhile but can never make the leap.

Well, last night's camping trip to Cherokee gave me the opportunity to try this bad boy out. As far as chopping goes, I was really impressed. The largest pieces I cut were probably 4" in diameter and I had no trouble. My buddy brought a saw and I can say that cutting with this hatchet was much less work. I'm tempted to say I wish I got the next size up, but when I consider the size vs usefulness, it really is a great tool for light chopping when camping. It hardly takes up any room in my pack at all. I am definitely glad I picked this up.

Well, last night's camping trip to Cherokee gave me the opportunity to try this bad boy out. As far as chopping goes, I was really impressed. The largest pieces I cut were probably 4" in diameter and I had no trouble. My buddy brought a saw and I can say that cutting with this hatchet was much less work. I'm tempted to say I wish I got the next size up, but when I consider the size vs usefulness, it really is a great tool for light chopping when camping. It hardly takes up any room in my pack at all. I am definitely glad I picked this up.

If you are talking about the Cherokee forest area east of Chattanooga they have a fabulous range and beautiful places to camp. I highly recommend it.

When I click on the link all I get is the general, main Cherokee National Forest webpage. Are you talking about the Spring Creek Shooting Range near Delano, TN - on the Hiwassee River? There is the Gee Creek (State) Campground at/near the entrance to that part of the Cherokee National Forest but it is, I don't know, a couple of miles back from the shooting range. http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/Hiwassee/ Then there are designated 'pull off' type campsites here and there along the road that runs by the entrance to the range. I've never gone beyond the range entrance so I don't know if there are campsites beyond it (coming from the Delano direction) or not. Of course, since the Cherokee National Forest is pretty big and spread out (parts in the Tellico area, parts in the Vonore area, parts in the Delano area, etc.) you might be talking about somewhere else.

Anyhow, Spring Creek is a pretty nice, basic outdoor range. Covered shooting areas with a 25 yard pistol range and 100 yard rifle range. Open daylight hours, has a cinderblock 'outhouse' type toilet facility and only costs $3 per vehicle not per person to shoot. No range officer. In fact, I think I might have some pics of the range floating around my Photobucket account...

Yep. TNRat, is this the range you were talking about?

Pistol side:

S5002391.jpg

Rifle Side:

S5002396.jpg

Except last time I was there the plywood target stands were gone and they had been replaced with more of the orange netting. I liked the plywood better but for the price to use the range, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Edited by JAB

That is definitely it. There was a lot more trash at the range when we were there so it is looking good now. Great work to whoever cleaned it up.

There are pull off camping sites BEFORE the range, but none past. We actually campled PAST the range at a picnic area and I was cited for camping in a noncamping area. :D:D The ranger hung out at the range all day while we were shooting and was a pretty nice guy. He let us stay overnight at the campsite since we were already set up and the cite was more of a warning.

I strongly recommend the range if you have the chance to go. Beautiful place with shelter and campsites. Glad to see it is still there. Just be sure and camp in designated sites only. :D

That is definitely it. There was a lot more trash at the range when we were there so it is looking good now. Great work to whoever cleaned it up.

There are pull off camping sites BEFORE the range, but none past. We actually campled PAST the range at a picnic area and I was cited for camping in a noncamping area. :D:D The ranger hung out at the range all day while we were shooting and was a pretty nice guy. He let us stay overnight at the campsite since we were already set up and the cite was more of a warning.

I strongly recommend the range if you have the chance to go. Beautiful place with shelter and campsites. Glad to see it is still there. Just be sure and camp in designated sites only. :D

Well, sometimes it is 'dirtier' than others but it is pretty nice. According to the date I put on the Photobucket folder, those pics were taken back in January of '09 (though stuff looks awfully green for January) - we were the only people there that day. We went to the range a couple of months back, though, and it was still there as of then. My problem is that I don't go there often enough. It is about an hour drive from our house. I get so excited about going and being able to shoot out to 100 yards that I want to take too many long guns - plus wanting to shoot handguns, too. I end up wearing myself out before I want to quit.

More 'on topic', I keep looking at those Gerber axes - especially the ones that also have a fixed blade knife in the handle. I don't really do backpack camping, though, so I generally have a vehicle - and a full-sized axe - nearby.

Edited by JAB