Cable Modem Problem

Guest GlocKingTN

Guest GlocKingTN

Im having trouble with my cable internet modem. After a few hours of non-use, it will not shut off, but will go into hybernation or something. I have me PC settings to never use the power saver or anything. When the modem does this, I have to reset it to be able to get back online. Meaning I have to un-plug it and then plug it back in. After waiting about 30-45 seconds, it starts working like nothing was ever wrong. I have had my ISP out here, all he did was set the modem back to default settings. That didn't work! He said he may have to exchange the modem with a new one if he comes back out here. I just recently changed from DSL to Cable internet, and never had the same problem with the DSL.

Any suggestions on the problem or the fix?:up:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

A friend of mine had the same problem, and he was using it for his business. He had to get rather ugly with Comcast, but they eventually came out and changed the modem. That fixed it. Sounds like you may have to do the same thing.

Yes it is, Model# SB5101.

i deal with comcast and their POS modems all the time. do yourself a favor and go get a linksys modem. if you are wireless get the the router as well, they have a combo as well. Even if they come replace it, you will have problems again, only a matter of time, those moto's are awful!

Guys, when it comes to the cable modems' that you're using, and how well it works, you have to take into account the type of programs they're using to run them at the switch, you also have to take into account how much experience the comcast guys have with that software/hardware.

believe me..its hard to find guys that know the programming needed to keep that stuff running behind the scenes.

Grey man has the right idea...get a linksys..those guys put literally thousands of man hours into making sure their equipment runs like it should and is compatible with everything.

Still, its expensive if you do it..so try getting comcast to come out and replace the modem first.

I have about 23 years in the broadcast transmission (thats communications) industry. Believe me, sometimes its a pain.

Guest GlocKingTN
Guys, when it comes to the cable modems' that you're using, and how well it works, you have to take into account the type of programs they're using to run them at the switch, you also have to take into account how much experience the comcast guys have with that software/hardware.

believe me..its hard to find guys that know the programming needed to keep that stuff running behind the scenes.

Grey man has the right idea...get a linksys..those guys put literally thousands of man hours into making sure their equipment runs like it should and is compatible with everything.

Still, its expensive if you do it..so try getting comcast to come out and replace the modem first.

I have about 23 years in the broadcast transmission (thats communications) industry. Believe me, sometimes its a pain.

I dont have Comcast, but close. Its called New Wave Communications, out of Brownsville, TN. Pretty fast stuff though. Im still gonna look into the Linksys modem though.

I dont have Comcast, but close. Its called New Wave Communications, out of Brownsville, TN. Pretty fast stuff though. Im still gonna look into the Linksys modem though.

You will soon enough.:D They will buy them too.

Guest Archimedes

Yeah, you should get another modem.

I used the Motorola POS and got disco’d constantly.

I went to Wal-Mart, picked up a Linksys modem, called Charter with my new MAC, and haven't had any problems since (Outside of area outages).

Charter sent out techs, linesman, and engineers (at least, that's what they told me) who couldn't figure out why my service was intermittent. They tried signal boosters, signal reducers, signal uppers, and signal downers.

They even gave me a ‘new’ modem, but it was obvious that it was slightly abused.

I went through about 3 or 4 modems from Charter before I got the Linksys and I think I was paying $5/mo. at the time. The Linksys was only about $60 as I recall. I rented from them for several years before I bought my own.

Just my experience. Seems to be worse in rural areas.

~Archi

Guest GlocKingTN

Im gonna have to do something. It has a thing with waiting till Im in the middle of something before it goes crazy. I may jusst go to Wal-Mart and get the Linksys and be done with it.