Pervert in the 'hood

My neighbor lady stopped by this evening to warn me that there is a man driving around our area trying to get women into his vehicle. She said he approached her when she was leaving her house to go for her evening walk. She thought he needed directions since it is easy to get turned around back here. He pulled up to her, she being on the passenger side of the car, and rolled down his window. He commented about the day then asked her about her husband. She is single. He then went on his way. When she got to the end of the street he was waiting for her. This time he stopped the car and told her to "Get in!" She refused and he became more insistent and agitated. She turned around and walked the opposite way, toward the neighbors house and safety. He drove off and she didn't see him again.

He approached another lady in much the same manner. He pulled up along side her while she was on her evening walk and asked her if she "Wanted to party" all the while he was rooting around in a duffel bag on his front seat. She told him "No" but he kept pacing her for about 100 feet until she told him she was going to call security. He drove off. Both incidents have been in broad daylight at about 5 or 6 in the evening.

I had to call security about 10 days ago for a prowler.It was about 1:00 in the morning and I kept hearing a vehicle drive past the house and slow down and stop then drive off. I thought it was kids out looking for things to steal so I got the keys to the truck and my gun and went outside to lock my husbands tool box on his truck.

When I first turned on my porch light the vehicle was at the end of my drive right behind the truck. Once the lights went on the car drove off. I was trying to get the key out of the tool box lock when low and behold here comes the same car. This time he stayed back away from my house but sat in the road idling his engine. He couldn't see me from where he was so I used the remote on the keys to turn on the truck lights, then I walked across my yard and back into the house, making sure he saw me.

Once I was back in the house he drove up to my mailbox. I could see him sitting in the car from my back door so I grabbed the phone and went out on the porch to call security. Once he saw that I was on the phone he drove off. Security came out and drove around for about 1/2 an hour but they never saw the car.

We think it is the same car. Mid size and dark blue or black and about 10 years old.

I am always armed when I am out in the neighborhood plus I am walking 4 dogs so I'm not prime pickings. I am worried about the other ladies though. They were walking carrying golf clubs this evening. Better than nothing but pretty much next to nothing for self defense. I told them to quit fooling around and fooling themselves and get their permits and a firearm. Short of driving them to a HCP class, I don't know what else to do for them.

Edited by Red Haired Girl
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

File police reports right away. Get the ball rolling. Tell your neighbors to do the same. This will at least start stirring up the boys in blue to take action. Maybe drop a line to the local newspaper and television station. Start stirring up the hornets nest of activity among your neighbors and local police and politics and this will either die down or he'll be arrested...or "die" down himself. At least you are armed, red. Make sure you stay that way. Don't assume your doors are locked. When you go out walking, let someone know when and where and how long you will be gone for and that you will give them a return call. If they don't get a return call the friend should immediately call the police.

Guest jackdm3

It'll probably be another "old dogs, new tricks" scenario. My father and I successfully got his mother to take the Beretta he gave her and go HCP. She did it all. She left it in the pouch on her recliner. Empty.

Guest Jamie
then I walked across my yard and back into the house, making sure he saw me.
...so I grabbed the phone and went out on the porch to call security. Once he saw that I was on the phone he drove off.

If you want this guy caught, quit doing that.

Stop letting him see you or see what you're doing. Stop giving him a chance to get away. Call security or the police without letting him know what's going on, if you can.

I know you want him gone, but just scaring him away gives him the chance to come back. Getting him caught doesn't.

Keep the element of surprise if you can. If you spot him again, don't let him know you've seen him, if at all possible, and try to get to a place that you can call security or the police without him knowing what you're doing. Let the surprise be on him, when they show up.

J.

Make sure you got a camera kept handy as well. Next time he pulls up in the drive way or in front of your place snap his pic with a camera using film if possible if you don't have a high mega pixel (10-12) digital for the best quality photo you can get without getting too close . Get his tag number.

file your complaints with the authorities like others have said .If this dude keeps coming around hes going to get bolder and eventually he wont be asking you to get in the car .

Thanks every one. I fully understand that the police need to be involved. I asked my neighbor if she called. She told me the other lady who was approached told her unless she had a tag number the police wouldn't do anything, so she didn't call! I told her to call even if she only had a make and model or a color so they are aware of the problem.

Jamie - You are 100% right. I was dumb for going outside. I really thought at the time is was kids. Now that I know it wasn't, there is no way I'd leave the house! Nothing in the truck is worth the risk. They make new tools at Dewalt everyday.

This isn't going to end well if LE isn't involved. As it stands right now he is using a rather mild tactic but at some point when that doesn't work he is going to become more frustrated then aggressive in his actions. By scaring him off constantly this is only speeding up the process.

Do not confront him.

Best thing to do is call LE or security without the bad guy knowing.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

This is a good time for some "community activism" as well. Make sure you let your neighbors know what's going on and to be aware when they are out and about. Walk in groups if you can.

With a militant proposition like that, I'd think that a can of pepper spray through that passenger window would probably make sure he sticks around somewhere nearby until law enforcement can arrive.

Oh...It's not too late for you or your neighbors to call the police, either. The more of you that call and report seeing him, the better.

Guest Jamie
This isn't going to end well if LE isn't involved. As it stands right now he is using a rather mild tactic but at some point when that doesn't work he is going to become more frustrated then aggressive in his actions. By scaring him off constantly this is only speeding up the process.

Right now the guy is scouting things out... getting an idea of who's where, and what they're apt to do.

He'll eventually pick a victim, and a time and place that suits him, based on the info he's gathered.

Letting him see someone calling the police or security only hands him the chance to see what their response time is, and how long he's got to do whatever it is on his mind.

It also lets him know who's apt to call, and who's not.

Sorry, but in Red's account, I saw where everybody involved is giving away far too much info to the bad guy.

Everybody needs to think, and they need to get sneaky. That'll put the fellow behind bars, where he needs to be.

Hell, Red's even got a gun, so it's the Perv that needs to be afraid... right there on the very end, when he sees the gun for the first time, and the bullets hit him.

J.

Guest TargetShooter84

File report with the police.

Do NOT confront him.

Do NOT show your weapon off to him, he'll have an motive to get you in trouble.

I fully understand that the police need to be involved. I asked my neighbor if she called. She told me the other lady who was approached told her unless she had a tag number the police wouldn't do anything, so she didn't call! I

I doubt that is a policy of your local department. We would have people stay on the line and talk the Officers in. I have had the dispatcher relaying a car count from the corner that a witness was giving them. Contrary to popular belief by some; a citizen’s call of a suspicious person or vehicle is probable cause to make a stop and investigate. Most District Officers would want the information you have.

I would call the Police, but if you live out in the county or something and the local security can get there faster; call them.

Do NOT show your weapon off to him, he'll have an motive to get you in trouble.

The only person who sees my weapon is my husband and he only gets to see it to clean it for me. The only way this guy would see it would be if I had no other choice.

I am going to print off all of your replies and give them to the ladies. The thing that gets me about this whole situation is that from what they've told me, he is in his late 20's to early 30's. We are all close to or over 50 and from my perspective we are by no means beauty queens.

Guest Jamie
We are all close to or over 50 and from my perspective we are by no means beauty queens.

Red, some folks make a hobby out of raping eighty year olds.

The bottom line is that your age has nothing to do with it.

And this "The only way this guy would see it would be if I had no other choice" is exactly what I meant with my earlier comment concerning your gun. :lol:

Keep us posted.

J.

I doubt that is a policy of your local department. We would have people stay on the line and talk the Officers in. I have had the dispatcher relaying a car count from the corner that a witness was giving them. Contrary to popular belief by some; a citizen’s call of a suspicious person or vehicle is probable cause to make a stop and investigate. Most District Officers would want the information you have.

I would call the Police, but if you live out in the county or something and the local security can get there faster; call them.

I have called 911 and followed a car that was driving VERY erratically. I was on the phone walking in the LE until they were able to initiate a stop. I have done it for people who were going obscenely fast as well, giving a street and direction as well as a description of the car.

At most they will ask a name when you are making a complaint like this. It didn't really matter because I was calling from my cell so they had all the info they needed.

Dolomite

Here's what you do:

1> Acquire a cheap throw away handgun

2> Get your hottest workout clothes on

2> Go for a walk without the dogs and wait for him to invite you to go "party"

3> Ask him to drive you to a secluded area and blown his damn brains out

4> Call police and tell them he kidnapped you at gun point, "It was self-defense, I was afraid for my life" all that stuff

...don't forget to put the throwaway gun in his hand before the cops arrive...

Just kidding, take the advice of the others.

Guest Jamie

I wish I could say I didn't like your thinking, Gts... :cool:

Unfortunately, most courts wouldn't be as understanding as those of us here. :-\

J.

Here's what you do:

1> Acquire a cheap throw away handgun

2> Get your hottest workout clothes on

2> Go for a walk without the dogs and wait for him to invite you to go "party"

3> Ask him to drive you to a secluded area and blown his damn brains out

4> Call police and tell them he kidnapped you at gun point, "It was self-defense, I was afraid for my life" all that stuff

...don't forget to put the throwaway gun in his hand before the cops arrive...

Just kidding, take the advice of the others.

I love it when a plan comes together! Seriously - I could not / would not get in a car with anyone I don't know. There are some I do know and I wouldn't get in a car with them. I do have a pretty good sense of self preservation that serves me well. That is not to say I never do something boneheaded - I do - just like everyone else.

Someone asked where I am. I'm on the Plateau. Don't bust me on the geography if it isn't East TN. I suck at geography, although I have no trouble telling someone where to go.

I spoke to some neighbors tonight. One being the brother of one of the ladies. He couldn't get over the fact that she didn't even notice what kind of car the guy drove. He did say she has always been oblivious to her surroundings. I can't imagine...

The other neighbor lives across the street. He came over at dinner time to ask if we knew anything about the guy living up the street. He said he came to his back door this afternoon wanting a ride, a beer, and money. He told him he was not going to start giving people rides, beer or money so he should go elsewhere. I don't know the guy personally but I've seen him around here.

The person he lives with is another story. I printed his picture and other information off of the TBI sex offenders website for him. He now has a whole different view of the neighborhood we live in. My husband jokingly told him not to pay any attention to me, that things are not all that bad. The neighbor looked at the picture in his hand and said to my husband "She knew this and now my wife will know it. I want to hear anything she has to say."

This place is going to hell in a hand basket.

some folks make a hobby out of raping eighty year olds.
What kind of animal does something like this? It is as bad as being a baby raper.
... ask if we knew anything about the guy living up the street. He said he came to his back door this afternoon wanting a ride, a beer, and money...The person he lives with is another story. I printed his picture and other information off of the TBI sex offenders website for him...This place is going to hell in a hand basket...What kind of animal does something like this? It is as bad as being a baby raper.

Are you sure you're on the Plateau? If we were playing, "Guess where I live?" and you stated the above, I would have confidently blurted out MEMPHIS!

Guest Ae-35

For those friends that don't or won't carry, get them some of those small air-horns, when the guy stops and rolls down the window, just tell'm to blast him with it. That LOUD noise going into his car will cause him to leave quick !!! At least it will give them a chance to get away quickly.

Guest Lester Weevils

It sounds like the dude is potentially dangerous, but it is possible he is merely "gloriously lacking in sophistication".

Long ago had a brief career doing social work out in the SE TN boonies. Great folk overall. as all are.

The mating custom in that area was that guys would park in front of a gal's house, and the gal would walk out to the road and flirt (or not) with the feller for a while, then the guy would drive off. This would continue for awhile until something more interesting would develop (or not).

Maybe this custom was because in those parts it may not have been safe for a feller to walk onto a gal's property un-invited.

This perv might hark from an area which has that mating custom?

Regardless, he is an annoyance who needs to get run off.

I think going out and snapping his picture, his car and his license plate is a great idea. Always have your camera (and your gun of course!) with you when you're walking and I would tell the neighbor ladies to do the same. Then, when someone does get his picture and plates, take them straight to the police and let them know what the guy is up to.