Pervert in the 'hood

When I said this place is going to hell in a hand basket I wasn't kidding! I took the dogs out for their afternoon walk. We went across the dam, which is my oldest male dog's favorite walk. The dam is wide so people walk their dogs, ride bicycles and even 4 wheelers / ATV's on it. It is posted no motorized vehicles and whatever else the sign says. It is the official Dam Act signage.

I could care less if people want to come across the dam on their ATV's. If they don't use the dam they have to go 3 1/2 miles around the lake to get over on this side.

Anyhoo. I was walking along and noticed an Aluminum roofing tack laying on the ground. When I bent down to pick it up, I saw several more - WTH? I looked around and some asshat has spread roofing tacks 1/2 way across the dam! There is no reason to do something like that. I'm not a huge fan of the ATV's but I am also not a fan of someone getting hurt. Not only by stepping on one of them, but what if someone gets one in a tire then gets on the road and has a blowout! Some of these guys bring their little kids along for the ride.

People slay me. I swear they are so very stupid and selfish.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BillOfRightsFan
Damn right those mall ninja security guards aint gonna do jack.

Depends upon the mall, of course. If you are talking a mall like Opry Mills which will re-open in November they have a very good security team. Probably one of the best in the area. I've met several of them as part of a professional group and they are all good people, dedicated to security and competent.

Damn right those mall ninja security guards aint gonna do jack.

Like BoRF said, depends on the department, but thanks for lumping all security personnel together!

Depends upon the mall, of course. If you are talking a mall like Opry Mills which will re-open in November they have a very good security team. Probably one of the best in the area. I've met several of them as part of a professional group and they are all good people, dedicated to security and competent.

Private security isn't what it used to be. Cops are getting way too busy in metro areas. I read a great article about a year or two ago about private security being on the upswing here because alot of guys getting out of the service couldnt get on a PD for various reasons, so you had quite a few better trained, in shape guys flooding the private security markets.

Truth is alot of people will always equate security with wanna be cops or guys that couldn't hack it. These are usually the same people who just don't like being told what to do by anyone and who wouldn't even work Target security :shake:

Guest Danariel
What kind of animal does something like this? It is as bad as being a baby raper.
I do believe you've just answered you're own question.

J.

Actually, animals don't kill for sport, or rape children or seniors. They kill to eat, and they fornicate to reproduce. Admittedly, the female (dog, cat, squirrel) doesn't really have much say in it (as much for instinct's sake as anything else) but I think it's wrong to label insane, monstrous behavior as animal. No, Humans are often more inhumane than an animal could ever be.

Sorry, just a minor pet peeve of mine.

Guest BEARMAN
Actually, animals don't kill for sport, or rape children or seniors. They kill to eat, and they fornicate to reproduce. Admittedly, the female (dog, cat, squirrel) doesn't really have much say in it (as much for instinct's sake as anything else) but I think it's wrong to label insane, monstrous behavior as animal. No, Humans are often more inhumane than an animal could ever be.

Perhaps....then again, perhaps maybe not, Danariel.

AP

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

'Very unusual and is not likely to be repeated,' wildlife biologist says

6d49e4d1-048d-471d-8c95-2d5c95c44abf.grid-6x2.jpg

LW Communications via / AP Taylor Mitchell, seen in a promotional photo for her singing career, was from Toronto, Canada.

TORONTO — Two coyotes attacked a Canadian woman while she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring in support of her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central American to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

‘It's very unusual’

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become "the big bad wolf"

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

‘So excited about the future’

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was a folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

You're not going to get an argument out of me if you say that humans, as a species, are the most worthless creature on this planet...

However... :D the other life forms on this planet weren't really what I was referring to when I responded to Red Haired Girl. ;)

I was actually thinking more along the lines of number 5, below:

an·i·mal

   /ˈænəməl/ Show Spelled[an-uh-muhl] Show IPA

–noun

any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

any such living thing other than a human being.

a mammal, as opposed to a fish, bird, etc.

the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of human beings; animality: the animal in every person.

an inhuman person; brutish or beast-like person: She married an animal.

thing: A perfect job? Is there any such animal?

Oh, and don't be too quick to give the rest of the wildlife too many hearts and flowers; at some time or the other, I've seen just about every negative behavioral trait a person can display, show up in some other critter or the other. ( Ever watch a cat play with a mouse 'til it quits wiggling, then lose interest in it and walk off? The cat didn't kill the mouse 'cause it was hungry, did it? ;) )

P.S. Would also like to know if there's any more info on RHG's neighborhood pervs...

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest Danariel
Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

This line here makes my point again.

And I'm not saying animals are perfect, or that there aren't some really nasty behaviors in the animal kingdom as well. ***shudder*** I saw an extremely disturbing video of a monkey with a frog that I desperately need mind bleach for ***shudder again***

Monkeys and Apes are primates, and their motivations are very much like ours. But as far as I know, animals don't have a concept of good and evil.

But as far as I know, animals don't have a concept of good and evil.

That's exactly the point though; some people don't, either. For them, everyone else is simply prey, or something to amuse themselves with.

J.

Guest BEARMAN

Does this Bobcat look like he's hungry, or just killing the Rattlesnake for sport? You decide.

Hmmmm....looks rather "sporty" to me.

He could have let the Rattler walk...er,crawl. FWIW

The gorilla society is set up in harems. The male will consort with a large amount of females to produce as many of his own offspring as he can. If a male is in the position of taking over a current harem he will drive out and sometimes kill the current male. If the current male had any offspring the new male will then kill them, to both eliminate the offspring of another gorilla and so he can produce his offspring. It is not uncommon for male gorillas to kill their own father and take over the harem they were raised in, after he had protected them for years.

I'd say that's pretty bad.

This thread has drifted pretty far from the OP. You guys are free to start another topic on animal nature in General Off Topic if you'd like. Can we please get back on topic now?

Thanks! :2cents:

So.....any updates on the Perv in the Hood?

Edited by PackinMama
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have been MIA. Life gets in the way every now and again. The latest goings on in my little 'hood are semi interesting. We believe we have discovered the person responsible for spreading the nails on the dam, cutting down large trees to block the paths in the woods and various other petty irritations. A sweet, innocent, 12 year old girl!

As for the perv situation - Big drama on that front. Everyone is OK, but I have to get ready for work right now. I promise I will log on this evening to let you know what the latest happenings are. I find it hard to believe myself.

Guest clownsdd

"Monkeys and Apes are primates, and their motivations are very much like ours. But as far as I know, animals don't have a concept of good and evil."

I will guarantee you that my dog knows the difference, just like my kids, he had to be taught and learn. LOL

Sorry I have been MIA. Life gets in the way every now and again. The latest goings on in my little 'hood are semi interesting. We believe we have discovered the person responsible for spreading the nails on the dam, cutting down large trees to block the paths in the woods and various other petty irritations. A sweet, innocent, 12 year old girl!

As for the perv situation - Big drama on that front. Everyone is OK, but I have to get ready for work right now. I promise I will log on this evening to let you know what the latest happenings are. I find it hard to believe myself.

Good to hear from you Red! Glad that everything's ok......but now you've really got me (and probably everyone else!) wanting to know what happened to the "perv in the 'hood!' :D

There are several sex offenders living in my neighborhood. For the most part they stay to themselves or try to contribute by helping some of the older people in the area by doing lawn work, or stuff outside their homes. We know who they are, and with the internet, we know what they did. We use caution and common sense when dealing with them. There has never been any trouble. Until now.

Friday 2 weeks ago one of the ladies who lives up the road from me was outside doing some yard work. She is a petite, pretty woman and lives alone. She went into the house to use the bathroom and kept hearing a rustling sound. She went down the hall and noticed the shower curtain pulled closed in the guest bathroom. In the mirror she could see a man standing behind it! She ran to her room for her pepper spray, and he hightailed it out of there. She ran after him screaming. The neighbor across the street came out to see what was going on. He saw him going down the road so he went after him. When the offender turned around the neighbor hit him in the face and subdued him until the police came and arrested him.

His story was that he was looking for information about him that was supposedly on her computer. Yeah. Right.

The woman had nothing to do with him. He had asked her out a long time ago but she declined. She had no information about him other than what we all had which was public record anyway.

He bailed himself out of jail - why he was allowed out is beyond me. He left town. He missed his court date and is now classified as an absconder.

Crazy stuff goes on around here.