Tennessee Senate Overrides Restaurant Carry Veto

One of the dynamics that we tend to miss is that what occurs inside the chamber is rarely a surprise to anyone participating in the process...it is often (not always, but often enough) the formal playing out of matters that have already been settled outside the chanber (perhaps in/between caucuses, individuals, etc). What we see is often a well-choreographed dance when it comes to matters occuring on the floor...if they're anything like most other govt agencies, the vast majority of decisions are not made out in the light of public scrutiny...they have been made long beforehand.

3777084698_a7ef4bf328.jpg

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from a couple house members yesterday that the rules have been suspended, so its up to Curry at this point.... i could actually see them voting on it today.

Question...

When the rules are suspended, does it have to be for a specific purpose? I ask becaue most of the time I've seen them suspended it was for one particular action.

So I was just wondering, if that is the case, he may still not be able to call for a vote on it without the 24 hour notice.

But...if they are suspended in general, then I guess he very well could.

Bandwidth not good enough at work to watch the session...so hope someone is and keeps us updated...

Can someone other than Todd bring this up? And if so, do you suppose that they will?

There are several co-prime sponsors (Dennis, West, sev others) on the House side...I would imagine that they could also bring the bill to the floor.

In Calander and Rules Committee this morning, the question was asked of another Rep. if he was going to raise the Notice, he said no, that Todd was going to be there, but evidently that has changed.

It was Montgomery that said Todd would be in the chamber, and that he did not intend to "Handle" the override.

Edited by Worriedman

Ok cool. So it's not dead. I understand the frustration here but posting Delay, Delay, Delay doesnt do anything productive. I am still confident that we can get this done before the end of the session and haven't seen anything yet that has swayed my confidence.

Guest db99wj
Ok cool. So it's not dead. I understand the frustration here but posting Delay, Delay, Delay doesnt do anything productive. I am still confident that we can get this done before the end of the session and haven't seen anything yet that has swayed my confidence.

You completely missed the joke.:(

Guest db99wj
Negative sir. I got the joke. You merely reminded me of something I have been wanting to say for quite some time.

Glad I could help.

Look, there is a process, a dance if you will, on how these things work. Todd is out for some reason, this legislation is not going to die because he is out, he has worked on this for years. You can't get caught up in the drama or you will drive yourself crazy, I almost did last year. So a little humor, at the expense of Hex, lightens things up a bit. This will happen, but it might take a little while due to some unforeseen, or seen, delays.

Edited by db99wj