TGO perhaps mobile friendly in future?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

Just wondered if there might be an idea for TGO for mobile devices like blackberry or other cell phones out there?

I used to belong to a auto forum that had a mobile capability version and whenever you used the site in mobile mode, it was basically "Bare bones" site (no ads, no smilies, no prolonged wait for it to download, just word text only) and many people liked that option.

Just wondered if you guys had thought about that? Since most of us can't be at our computers all the time but would like to check on our phones...

What say you?

PS - I looked through the support section and didn't see any questions regarding mobile capabilities.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on TGO right now on my Droid. It would be cool if there was an app though
I access TGO on my Blackberry alot but it takes a while to download or refresh topics on it.

Get a DROID. I browse TGO with full capabilities. If you gotta go barebones what's the point?

-sent from my kicka$$ Droid.

Guest TargetShooter84
Yes, after I upgrade the forum software we'll have a mobile-optimized skin for the forum.

Right on, bro!

Any idea when that might happen?

Guest yzfMrLee

I'm at a campground on my iPhone at the moment. Everything works great on it. Kinda figured most modern smartphones wouldn't have any trouble with this site.

• Administrator
Right on, bro!

Any idea when that might happen?

Pretty soon. I've had a few other things I needed to take care of before I could devote a whole weekend to upgrading the software. I'm still doing some testing behind the scenes to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly.

Guest TargetShooter84
Pretty soon. I've had a few other things I needed to take care of before I could devote a whole weekend to upgrading the software. I'm still doing some testing behind the scenes to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly.

Awesome.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Look forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikedwood
Get a DROID. I browse TGO with full capabilities. If you gotta go barebones what's the point?

-sent from my kicka$$ Droid.

While the Droid doesn't have the best phone interface it is awesome for browsing TGO! And does the app stuff awesome and is a really good digital camera.

Guest kirkosaurus

I'm on an iPhone 3G right now using the Opera Mini browser app. This site loads up lightning fast. Counting down the days until the iPhone 4 comes out.

Guest 6.8 AR

I've used Oceanus and Safari on the iphone 3g. Seems to work fine, except the dang

tiny keyboard. I doubt you can do much for that, David. :hat:

• Moderators

One request/suggestion regarding a mobile version is the ability to turn it off. Some sites see that I am using a mobile device and limit me to the stripped down mobile version which usually has less functionality and may eliminate images or other annoying traits. Having the option to view the full version is a definite plus.

One request/suggestion regarding a mobile version is the ability to turn it off. Some sites see that I am using a mobile device and limit me to the stripped down mobile version which usually has less functionality and may eliminate images or other annoying traits. Having the option to view the full version is a definite plus.

If you happen to be using a Windows Mobile phone with the Opera browser, you can choose whether to browse in "Mobile View" or as a PC. I deselect the Mobile View, and every web page looks just like it would on a PC.

I browse TGO a lot from my HTC TouchPro 2 phone with Windows Mobile and the Opera browser. It works great with full functionality. It loads about as fast as my PC on an average connection.

• Moderators

I use an Iphone, I use a program called UAFaker to report that I am on a PC for sites that limit your options, but even then some servers have gotten smarter and the spoof apps don't always work or of limited utility.

I don't have any issue with TGO, I am just hoping to avoid having one in the future.

Guest db99wj

Cool deal! Even though my iphone and 3g coverage loads up the regular site up pretty quickly, the mobile version would be good. I am constantly hitting the "Replies" number instead of the last post of thread icon.

Cool deal! Even though my iphone and 3g coverage loads up the regular site up pretty quickly, the mobile version would be good. I am constantly hitting the "Replies" number instead of the last post of thread icon.

Enlarge the screen before you touch it. I have to because I have sausage fingers.

And yes making it an option for those of us that HATE mobile versions would be nice.