Crimison Trace or Laser with Flashlight?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

I see few Crimsion Trace laser grips popping up on classifieds and was wondering why people was unloading on those? Any bad comments/experience about those?

Also, I was thinking of looking into rail-mounted light with laser but they are EXPENSIVE! Close to 250-300 for Streamlight TR-2 edition...wow.

Would I be better off with just a plain LED Light and Crimison Trace that way if I didn't have a need for the light, I can take it off and leave the laser on it for fun and etc?

Would that seem logical or would light w/ laser be a better way to go?

Oh, it'll be for the G19 though. Maybe XD9 if I get one sometime.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both (the CT and TLR-2). They both have there purpose. All my carry guns have CT lasers while my bedside gun has the TLR-2. You cannot carry a gun with the TLR-2 (or you are very limited in brands of holsters and how you carry). So, depending on what you want to do with the gun, that may be your answer.

Guest TargetShooter84

What kind of TLR-2 do you recommend? I keep running into the Insight TLR-2 and it seems attractive.

Prefer LED light though.

I keep a TLR 1 on my bedside glock 34 and crimson trace laser guard on my carry g26. The laser guard models fit the front of the trigger guard. IMO, the ergos are much better than the laser grip, but holster options are limited. I agree with earlier post, the TLR is not well suited for carry. In fact, I think holster options are tough with a TLR

Guest bart_p

For a bit more scratch you could get the new Surefire X400. That thing is amazing! I personally don't use lasers, but I have been very impressed with the new Surefire offering and have thought about switching from X300 to X400. The only reason I haven't is due to having to order yet another Raven Concealment rig.

Bart

Guest TargetShooter84

I did see the laserguard but heard you had to do some tweaks to it as laser adjustments while the rear ones doesn't need any. Is this correct?

Anybody have any experience or opinions about LaserMax?

I'll look into Surefire X400.

I did see the laserguard but heard you had to do some tweaks to it as laser adjustments while the rear ones doesn't need any. Is this correct?

Anybody have any experience or opinions about LaserMax?

I'll look into Surefire X400.

Not sure what they mean, but the laserguard allows POA to be adjusted as needed. That's a great benefit.

Guest tightwadding

I've got three pistols with CTG, I love them. The only con I could think of is, you lose your favorite grips on most pistols. Their warranty & customer service is awesome.

Guest Lester Weevils

I put CTG on two small unpleasant-to-shoot long-stiff-trigger carry guns, and the laser dot has not so far improved aim at all. The grips are well made and work properly. They just don't magically improve shooting skill.

The laser dot might improve aim for me on a bigger easier-shooting gun, but in that case aiming is no problem anyway. At least in good light. Maybe it would help for home defense in the dark with a large gun.

Another issue was that the red laser dot was not visible at the outdoor range except on gloomy overcast days. Maybe with a lot of practice on an indoor range the laser would become more an advantage on the mouseguns.

Mastering a long stiff trigger pull on a tiny-grip pistol that hurts yer hand after about 20 shots-- That seems the bigger issue than being able to see the tiny inadequate sights. Only being able to see the laser outdoors on gloomy days cuts into practice time even more.

My solution was to get a slightly larger easier shooting carry pistol. Still have the NAA 380 with the laser grips, but dunno if the laser will really improve accuracy in an emergency. Definitely a point-blank gun, laser grips or no.

If green lasers with good battery life become common, that would solve the daytime outdoors practice issue anyway.

Affordable green lasers are not yet mature technology. Green lasers are common for amateur astronomy. You can see the beam as a line in the night sky, and aim the scope directly at the star. Amateur astronomers often observe on cold winter nights, and often complain that the green lasers crap out and won't laze properly in cold weather.

Gun green lasers cost about the same as astronomy green lasers. So if you needed to defend yourself on a cold night, you may have the same problem on a gun.

Surefire & Streamlight are both good choices. I have both and love them. You may even find a deal on a light or laser. I was in a pawn shop in Knoxville and bought a Streamlight TLR-1 for $25 like new. Its very bright and the batteries will last with the LED. My G2 is a little brighter, but eats the batteries. I keep a Surefire G2 on my Mossberg 12 gauge cruiser and a Veridian green laser on my SR9 for the range. All are excellent. The Veridian laser has the longest range and is visible in bright daylight or at night.

I bought a Crimson Trace laser grip for my Glock 17. The laser in itself is awesome. The laser comes from the manufacturer pre-sighted and is pretty much on point. The grip seems very durable, however, the inside of the grip is where the battery is located and seems expose. I don't know how durable it is if you were to drop it in water, mud, dirt etc. After i got laser, i went to the range. After i shot about 200 rounds through it, the grip just didn't feel right to me. The extra mass of the laser grip felt uncomfortable to me as my hands are not that large. I also notice that i tend to grip my pistol high when i shoot so my index finger would sometimes get in the way of the laser. So i took it off and shot it without the grip and it just felt more natural to me. I sold the laser to my cousin the next day.

I can see why conceal carry people would prefer a Crimson Trace laser. The laser mounts on the right side just above the grip (on glocks). This allows it to be easily worn on holsters as oppose to a tactical light.

Guest TargetShooter84

Just an update on this....

I was able to score a used Lasermax from a TGO member on here and I tell you that it works WONDERS for my G19. Its deadly accurate and I love it.

May decide to get that for my G26 if time comes and funds allow.

I'll probably get the TR-2 light/laser for XD9 when I get one eventually....and use it as home defense/occasional range.