• Ruger 10/22
    • Marlin 795 flavor

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the two, the 10/22.

Cheap parts, beau coup customization.

795 mags are much more expensive and 10/22 factory mags, plus good hicap 10/22 options.

I think a better debate might be between the 10/22 and Marlin 60.

Two Marlin 60 advantages:

- no mags to fool with

- generally somewhat better accuracy out of the box

- OS

Guest jackdm3

Alls I have is the Marlin Glenfield Model 60 with a squirrel on the stock.

I'll go with Marlin cause I don't know otherwise.

I owned my first 10/22 when I turned 16,which was awhile back.Since then I have had 3 or 4 other 10/22's.They have always been reliable and found at a decent price.If you ever want to add some goodies to the rifle there are countless amounts of accessories to be had for the Ruger.

I am a Ruger rifle fan

IMG_1184.jpg

As an owner of both I would get the Marlin 795 again. All you need is Tech Sights and to stiffen up the stock if you are going to shoot with a sling. It was way more accurate head to head with bulk ammo.

I bought my son a 10/22 and it is by far the most complicated to break down. Ever dissassemble a trigger group?

1275692645.jpg

Only $450 invested in it to shoot better than a stock Marlin 795. The only downside to the marlin is the scope rail. it is a 3/8" dovetail. Some scope rings will slide back during firing. And the Marlin LOP is not kid friendly. But for $99 it can't be beat.

There have been hundreds of different models of rimfire guns manufactured over the past 100 years. If you really want to have fun...get a couple of older guns and enjoy them.

The new Remingtons and Rugers are nice, but they just seem sterile compared to the many fine guns of years past. Look up a winchester 67 or 69. Or a Marlin 39a or even the 80 series guns. Savage and Stevens made some neat guns like the crackshot and favorite. The list goes on and on.

What I am trying to say is - you gain absolutely nothing by getting new rimfire guns. Some of the old guns shoot too. I have a couple of sub $200 "oldies" that I would bet pinks on with any Ruger 10/22 made...$150 - $1000 custom.

Edit....you can find them often at fire sale prices too if you look hard enough. Stock refinish is a great project with the kids too. Rit dye of their favorite color makes it just that more special

Edited by I_Like_Pie

Basically I would break it down like this.

If you like to tinker and modify your guns get the 10/22

If you generally leave theings alone get the Marlin.

The 10/22 takes time and money to get it to shoot as well as the Marlin but you can't really change anything with the Marlin. You can literally change every part on a 10/22 without having to pay a smith to do it.

Dolomite

Between those two, I'd buy whichever I found a better deal on. Same with a Marlin Model 60.

Given the choice for a semi auto, I'd go find a Remington Speedmaster. I found one a few months ago, and I'm a big fan. Tube magazine, shoots shorts, longs, or long rifle ammunition, and seems to be much more accurate than my Marlin or my Ruger.

Guest Broomhead

Having sold a Marlin 795 and then bought a 10/22, I would have to say a 10/22. More aftermarket parts than you could ever imagine, easy to disassemble, even the trigger group is very basic and straight forward, and, with the plethora of aftermarket parts, no two 10/22s are the same.

I didn't like the 795 due to it's complexity in the trigger group and the lack of even basic magazines on the aftermarket circuit. I have personally reduced the trigger pull on my 10/22 from the stock 6.5-7.5lbs down to a svelte 2.5-3.5lbs, and then I repeated it with some spare parts. All it took were various grits of sharpening stones. The 795 was so complex that I wasn't even going to attempt to disassemble anything on that rifle.

The 795 maybe more accurate, but I would bet it would only be noticeable around 100yrds and further.

I love my 10/22 and, IMNSHO, believe it is the best choice on the market in the semi-auto .22lr category. Like someone else said, if you like to tinker, or even if you just like to personalize guns to your taste, the 10/22 is the better option.

BTW, if you do get a 10/22, hit me up with a PM and I will help you in anyway I can, even with reducing the trigger pull.

My vote is for the Marlin 60. I still own my first .22 rifle, a model 60 that I recieved for Christmas in 1981, and have never replaced a single part on the gun, other than having it parkerized. I own a 10/22 as well, and they are fun and easy to go overboard with, but the 60 is a top notch performer straight out of the box for under $150.

Guest benroe

I'm going with the 10-22. The marlin is a bit more accurate out of the box, but there are so many aftermarket parts for the ruger available, and it is extremely easy to make a fine trigger with some polishing compound and a buffing wheel.

Guest gw2and4
Between the two, the 10/22.

Cheap parts, beau coup customization.

795 mags are much more expensive and 10/22 factory mags, plus good hicap 10/22 options.

I think a better debate might be between the 10/22 and Marlin 60.

Two Marlin 60 advantages:

- no mags to fool with

- generally somewhat better accuracy out of the box

- OS

+1. Well said, OS.

Only you can decide what rifle is best for you. If you want a rifle to shoot, get a the marlin. If you like tinkering and dumping loads of money on it, then the 10/22 is your rifle.

I often out shoot a freind with my Marlin 60 with Tech Sights off-hand, and him with his modified 10/22 on a fence post. Pisses him off to no end.:tinfoil:

Edited by Clone

My Marling Model 60 is 30 years old and looks it. But it is a squirrel assassin. If you want out of the box accurate under $200 get the Marlin. If you like to tinker and customize Ruger 10/22.

If you want accuracy and tube fed is ok with you the older mod 60's have a 22 inch barrel.

I will vote 10/22 every time. Everyone makes a big deal about them not being accurate out of the box but I would have to disagree. Mine is a 1974 model that was bought new by my dad. Until about 6 months ago, it was bone stock and probably hadn't been cleaned in 15 years. Now it has a new style mag release and a volquartsen exact edge extractor. neither of them were necessary but I like to tinker. The rifle shoots as well as I do or better. You just can't go wrong with the 10/22

Guest jackdm3

I do like the Byrdman's plinker. I shot his at the last meet and it was smooth and hit where I aimed! Also, if you gotta quickly shoot lots of moving targets, like a rat/squirrel nest, his set-up is so much better than me having to reload a 17-shot tube.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest mikedwood

I would say the 10/22 and if you are getting more than one the Marlin Papoose is something neat, different and useful at times.

Never had a 795, but I do have a Marlin 60 and several 10/22's and my vote would have to be for the Ruger. The only issue is once you get one and start looking at what all is available you will often sink way more $ into it than you originally wanted.

As far as breaking the rifles down, I don't see how much simplier it could be than the 10/22. Never seen the trigger group on a 795, but the one on the Marlin 60 is something I don't really want to tackle. The 10/22 trigger group has alot less parts, and is simple to take apart and put back together.