Anyone have experience flying Southwest with a gun?

I'm heading to Florida with the wife to celebrate 20 years of her putting up with my crap and plan on bringing a gun for self defense. I have read Southwest Airlines regulations here Southwest Airlines Travel Policies - Guns and Ammunition but wanted to know:

A. Anyone have any experience/tips doing this?

B. Will they laugh at me if I pack my little LCP? Come on, it's the perfect lightweight "beach gun" :up:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

I flew with a P14 a few years back to Chicago on SW. Did not have any problems at all in Nash. On the return flight they gave me a few funny looks though.

I flew with a P14 a few years back to Chicago on SW. Did not have any problems at all in Nash. On the return flight they gave me a few funny looks though.

Dude, you get points just for flying a gun to Chicago :up:

I had no problems when a friend and I flew out of BNA to Vegas. They just assumed and asked if we were LEO's - that's literally how they asked it. Then looked confused when we said no, but still no issues. Just do the common sense stuff - be discrete, make sure it is obviously unloaded, follow the rules on transporting ammo and you'll be fine.

I fly SW with my firearm all the time. Never had a problem with them... I occasionally run into a noob who doesn't know the rules, but once a manager comes over... no problem. Just make sure the gun is unloaded and in a locked case and your ammo is stored separately in the original box or a hard case specifically designed to hold bullets. You'll be fine.

Their friendliness with firearms is one of the reasons that SW remains my favorite airline.

So do they ever ask to unlock the case and inspect the firearm?

Not ever in my experience on 3 different airlines so far. Only one airline asked to show that it was locked. They really could care less...

Mark

They used to, but don't seem to anymore. The rules shift fairly often... the attendants are usually pretty professional and will walk you over to the TSA station. Hang around until the TSA guys give you the all clear and then you should be good to go.

Guest wdb45

Not so funny story about SW. Years ago was flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore and told the ticket agent "I have a weapon to declare". His response was to hold his hands up by his head, like I had said "Stick 'em up". I said "Sir, that is not funny". He apologized and we had no trouble. I'm just glad it was before 9/11.

Got checked in with no problems. Went to stand in the self check in line and was standing next to the Attendant who is instructing the "heard" on checking in so I mentioned that I had something in my lugage I needed to declare. She promptly said all firearms in checked baggage must check in through the full service line and opened the croud control divider. Once I got to the desk, I answered questions regarding weapon being unloaded and in locked container and ammo being properley packed. Stood there until the bag cleared the Xray machine and was loaded on the belt at which time the TSA gal waved with a smile and said no problems. Easy as pie ;)

Edited by DavidD

I flew from Nashville to Syracuse, NY with a Remington 870 Tactical with Spec-Ops stock. No issues. Just follow the rules, chances are when they check it out they will just want to talk shop about it. Then again it wasnt a pistol, but it is a mean looking 12ga.

I flew SW to Austin last year and had absolutely no trouble at BNA. They never asked to see my firearm, just had me fill out a tag for it and then wait for it to go through TSA.

The only trouble I had was at the Austin airport. The single TSA agent didn't seem to know what the rules were on traveling with a firearm.

The whole process was much easier than I though it would be.

Guest Glock23ForMe
On plane in Chicago, just saw bag being loaded. Hey mayor Daily, I got a gun in Chicago B)

You mean, you can take guns in restaurants in TN now AND you have a gun in Chicago?!?!

B)B)

3000 people are going to die.... just when and where... and it's due to your childishness with a firearm. ;)

B)

Edited by Glock23ForMe

Have flown several times with pistols. Never had any problems. You delare at the ticket desk, they may or may not ask to see it(they should), you lock it up, and they send it down the line. I recommend cable ties through the zippers after they give you the go ahead. That way, there is no temptation for someone to snoop. Make sure it is unloaded, including the magazines. Ammo in non-metallic box, locked in case with pistol. Good place for pocket knives too. Piece of pie!

NO guns in the state of Illinois! Better not get pulled over driving with a gun in the car either. You will lose it. Just saying.

I guess I should elaborate, was only in Chicago for a layover. Was on my way to South Florida via Chicago. Go figure. :rolleyes:

PS- Bag made it fine with my little LCP which is currently locked in the room safe. Now enjoying some really old Scotch :)

Edited by DavidD
PS
I guess I should elaborate, was only in Chicago for a layover. Was on my way to South Florida via Chicago. Go figure. :tinfoil:

PS- Bag made it fine with my little LCP which is currently locked in the room safe. Now enjoying some really old Scotch :down:

Supposition issue.

Say you had a hand gun in checked baggage, and your connecting flight out of O'Hare was canceled, you had to spend the night, which would mean taking possession of your luggage. Next day checking back through to get to your final destination, would you be in a world of ****?

I do not fly through Chicago, for that very reason. I have heard it said that could be a nightmare.

Make sure it is unloaded, including the magazines. Ammo in non-metallic box, locked in case with pistol. Good place for pocket knives too. Piece of pie!

I am no expert, but it was to my understanding that the ammo and gun must be in separate containers, ie.. gun in locked hard sided case and ammo in proper box in regular luggage. I have not flown in a long time but has it changed?

I am no expert, but it was to my understanding that the ammo and gun must be in separate containers, ie.. gun in locked hard sided case and ammo in proper box in regular luggage. I have not flown in a long time but has it changed?

No, never did have to separate ammo, AFAIK.

"You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above."

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

You can even keep ammo in mag, as long as mag isn't in gun and in a mag pouch that completely encases it.

- OS

...I recommend cable ties through the zippers after they give you the go ahead. That way, there is no temptation for someone to snoop....!

AFAIK, once you turn over your luggage to the TSA Screener, you may not handle the luggage again unless directed by a TSA agent. At that point it must be re X-rayed/inspected.

Supposition issue.

Say you had a hand gun in checked baggage, and your connecting flight out of O'Hare was canceled, you had to spend the night, which would mean taking possession of your luggage. Next day checking back through to get to your final destination, would you be in a world of ****?

I do not fly through Chicago, for that very reason. I have heard it said that could be a nightmare.

I guess I'd been in a pickle then....

No, never did have to separate ammo, AFAIK.

"You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above."

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

You can even keep ammo in mag, as long as mag isn't in gun and in a mag pouch that completely encases it.

- OS

Neither the SWA or TSA agents ever asked me if it was separate but only if the firearm was unloaded and ammunition was "properly packed". They did not ask for the key to my hard sided case nor even opened my bag to inspect it. My ammunition was packed in the box it came in when I purchased it and packed right next to the locked hard sided case.

The process HAS changed in the last year, normally in the past, the gate agent would required the locked case to be opened at the counter. The last few times I have carried my weapon, (including yesterday from Nashville to Austin, TX via Southwest) the agent simply asked if it was packaged correctly, did not require me to prove that.

I always carry the same way, handgun unloaded, magazine removed and contained in a holder to preclude ammo escape, extra mag carried the same way, with a hard plastic ammo box for spares, all in one locked case, inside my two suiter which is locked as well.

Once going out of Memphis, the Airport Adminstrator, who bore a real resemblance to Venus Williams, required me to shuck the rounds out of the magazine. She was going to make me leave the loose rounds, saying I could not have "bullets sloshing around", the nice Northwest gate agent gave me a spare plastic Zip-Loc, and I went on my way. This was the only time I ever had any noise out of a TN airport.

I fly pretty much bi-weekly, have been through a lot of airports. Phoenix is the easiest, Detroit, you had best get there an hour early.

I always carry a printed copy of the TSA regs on me. Be surpised how many of their employees have not got a clue.

The card that they have you sign is supposed to go in your bag, but not in the locked case, unless it is a long gun, then it does go in the locked case.

I always carry a printed copy of the TSA regs on me. Be surpised how many of their employees have not got a clue.

I did the same thing, just in case.

The card that they have you sign is supposed to go in your bag, but not in the locked case, unless it is a long gun, then it does go in the locked case.

They had me place the card on top of the locked case. Don't know what gould that did as by the time I got to Fla. it had shifted to the bottom of my bag :confused:

I can’t get my phone to work worth a damn on the forum (or much of anywhere else) it’s a Samsung Rogue. What are you using?

Using an iPhone. Daughter and Wife talked me into getting one two years ago and must say, I'm hooked. Although AT&T SUX in my opinion, the phone is the bomb.