Why buying local is best (or Why Guns and Leather is the best and how I got a PM9)

I bought a used Walther PPS a couple of weeks ago from Guns and Leather. It worked well my first time out to the range but the second time I took it out to shoot the trigger would not reset after the slide was dropped on a full mag. Not very good to say the least. G&L took it back so their gunsmith could take a look. When I went to check on it today, they had sent it back to Smith and Wesson, where it could languish for 3-5 weeks. I think anybody would be unhappy to purchase a gun and then not be able to use it for so long.

Instead of saying tough titty, as I might expect of a place like Bud's, they offered to let me basically return the gun for store credit. So I did and I ended up paying the difference for a PM9. Guns and Leather took care of me (specifically Robert), and I wanted to thank them and let everybody else know that there's a real reason to shop at a local brick and mortar shop. They stand behind their sale. Can't beat that.

Anybody with a PM9 want to suggest a good pocket holster? I already know to load the pistol by dropping the slide and not by racking the slide. Any other little tricks?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody with a PM9 want to suggest a good pocket holster?

I've used this StellarRigs.com model for a couple years now, very fond of it.

Apparently many other folks are also, as I see that Kahr is selling them directly from Kahr Shop now also.

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

I already know to load the pistol by dropping the slide and not by racking the slide. Any other little tricks?

Keep spare mag constrained in something. The top round or two or three can jiggle and actually pop out of it. Or can get canted in a too much horizontal position and cause failure to feed on quick mag change.

Congrats.

Great pistola, I carry mine any time I need a little deeper concealment than my XD in IWB holster.

- OS

I carry my PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis. The PM9 version of that holster will actually work perfectly well with any S&W J Frame too.

You might try a Mika also. I don't have one specifically for the PM 9 but Robert Mika makes a great J Frame Holster and the price is right.

P2190032.jpg

Edited by DAdams
Guest Moody

Love G&L - I have NEVER had to bargain with them on a price, because they were always fair, and the service is Top Notch. I will always continue to recommend them for any firearms purchase.

Thanks for the replies fellows. Does the Stellar print less? Or is it more convenient and secure?

Yes. :dropjaw:

I've used a Nemesis.

I actually love leather, and use it for IWB/OWB, but to me, Kydex just makes sense for pocket.

Another good Kydex maker right here in TN is Aholster:

Welcome to Aholster

Anyway, I found the Stellar very handy since it holds spare mag with no more area taken up than without. Gun pops right up into your hand when your fingers first nudge in between gun butt and mag. Not a "tactical" way to deploy spare, but ... also, you have to score another short mag to do it, the 7 rounder won't work.

Any pocket holster will of course work, everyone has their favs. Try a few, starting with cheapest, you can always sell off the ones you didn't like from your Box O' Holsters. :stare:

Main requirements:

- cover trigger

- keep gun in same upright position

- able to draw gun quickly without the holster coming with it.

- OS

Guest hickok45

I might have told this story before, but a couple of years ago I called Guns & Leather to see if they had any used Glock 30s. Whoever answered checked the cases and told me they had three or four, which really surprised me. I drove out there after work to buy one of them.

Got there, and it turned out that whoever checked was mistakingly looking at used G22s or G21s or something. All they had were new G30s. Not a big deal; I was surprised they'd have even one used G30 anyway; they are hard to find. Gave me a chance to browse the gun store anyway. I wasn't upset at all.

Anyway, as I was about to leave, Dennis called me back and told me he'd sell me a brand new one for the used price since they'd given me the wrong information over the phone. So, I took him up on it and walked out with my new ("used") Glock 30. ACtually, I felt a little guilty about it, but I was not going to buy one if I couldn't find a used one, so I went ahead.

Good folks; I hope they stay that way! Even their gunsmith usually seems pretty sober! :-)

+1 for the Aholster. I don't have a PM9 but I have 2 Aholster pocket holsters. My Glock 26 is in one right now and I also have one for my Ruger LCP.

The Aholster is the only pocket holster I know of that allows the comfortable carry and draw of a gun as big as my G26.

My LCP has been reliable but I don't love it. I'd consider a PM9 if they weren't so darn expensive. It would be hard for me to pay that much for a gun I probably wouldn't carry very often. Would be nice to stick with 9mm for all my carry guns though.

Congrats on your PM9.

Edited by JReedEsq