Has anyone seen the movie "The Road"?

Guest Moody

Outstanding scenery, set, and plot... They really did a good job on this film. Acting was good, too - better than 90% of the complete garbage that Hollywood throws at comsumers these days. Depressing, though. I solved that by cleaning a couple of firearms, afterwards.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding scenery, set, and plot... They really did a good job on this film. Acting was good, too - better than 90% of the complete garbage that Hollywood throws at comsumers these days. Depressing, though. I solved that by cleaning a couple of firearms, afterwards.

The wife and I both sat and watched it. Was depressing in that you know it could be... The end of the movie left you with some hope in that there is a little girl about the same age as the young boy, so there will be a future. LOL I cleaned my guns afterwards too!

Guest Lester Weevils

Read the book pretty quick over Christmas. Was hard to put down.

Near the beginning of the book, the scenery description seemed to fit Monteagle mountain and I-24.

Is there another highway mountain pass in TN or the Carolinas that would fit the description better?

Read the book pretty quick over Christmas. Was hard to put down.

Near the beginning of the book, the scenery description seemed to fit Monteagle mountain and I-24.

Is there another highway mountain pass in TN or the Carolinas that would fit the description better?

I thought of I-40 going toward Asheville.

Guest Lester Weevils
I thought of I-40 going toward Asheville.

Thanks Raoul

Did the author mention any city names along the way? I was in a hurry to read the book because wanted to find out the end, and had to get up next morning for a family Christmas trip and didn't want to stay up all night. Maybe missed some clues. I don't recall any city names.

So you think maybe the route was I-40, then I-26 down toward Charleston, then down the coast?

I was wondering maybe Monteagle Mountain down I-24 to Chattanooga, I-75 to Macon, then I-16 to Savannah?

Or alternately, I-75 to Tifton then thru Waycross to Brunswick. That state highway run from Tifton to Brunswick has commercial pulp pine farms for endless miles, which MIGHT match some of the descriptions for that leg of the journey (miles of autos immolated in massive forest fires that even melted the asphalt).

However, I-16 would be more likely to be strewn with cars from Atlanta refugees. I-20 would be strewn with Atlanta refugee autos too, but I-20 dog-legs back up north and wouldn't seem as 'sane' a route pushing a shopping cart.

The interpretation probably depends on a person's familiarity with routes. I can't recall ever driving from Asheville to Charleston.

Or maybe it is some other route entirely.

Guest (BH)
Yeah, Horses is a wonderful coming of age story. Movie was pretty decent, too.

Blood Meridian is on several of the "best novels of the 20th Century" type lists, too. It's likely the most brutal book I've ever read.

Cormac was actually born in Rhode Island, but came to Knoxville as a tyke and grew up here. Suttree is set in Knoxville. He also lived somewhere in Sevier County for a while, too.

Yeah Blood Meridian is pretty friggin gnarly, and Sutree is strange and great. I loove them both. I just finished the second book in the "border trilogy" (The Crossing) and cannot wait to start on Cities of the Plain. I understand the characters from Horses and the Crossing are both in Cities.
Did the author mention any city names along the way? I was in a hurry to read the book because wanted to find out the end, and had to get up next morning for a family Christmas trip and didn't want to stay up all night. Maybe missed some clues. I don't recall any city names.

So you think maybe the route was I-40, then I-26 down toward Charleston, then down the coast?

No, he does mention that he was headed south to the gulf, but I don't think it gets any more specific than that. Edited by (BH)
Guest Lester Weevils

Found this, written by a fellow who has obviously given it some thought. He has the route going from Cumberland Gap thru Knoxville and Gatlinburg, down west of the Savannah River project possibly in the Aiken vicinity, and then to the coast.

The Route and Roots of <I>The Road</I>

Surprise, surprise, a guy from Knoxville sees the route going thru Knoxville! Like its a big surprise I saw the route going thru Chattanooga <g>. The author mentions some reviewers imagining the route as going from the Rockies to the Pacific coast.

I just recalled it sounded like the trip spent a lot of time on interstates for a Gatlinburg-SC route, but dunno. The final route east to the sea gave the impression of being farther southward. And once on the coast, a good coastal-beach road doesn't really start up till down around Savannah or even better Brunswick. Its pretty dern swampy up in the carolina coast area. And the Gatlinburg route would be a lot more cruel with a shopping cart, compared to I-24.

But the above referenced author obviously spent a lot more time on the problem than my idle thoughts.

Guest Moody
The wife and I both sat and watched it. Was depressing in that you know it could be... The end of the movie left you with some hope in that there is a little girl about the same age as the young boy, so there will be a future. LOL I cleaned my guns afterwards too!

Ha ha! That just goes to show ya! :drama:

Guest Knightsr25
That's why I don't like to postulate on what-ifs. Your line of thought can be dangerous. You just never know what could happen. I don't see how you would carry around 25k rounds of ammunition in a shopping cart anyway. :confused:

My understanding was the family lived several years in their home before loading up the shopping cart and heading to the coast . I would assume some ammo would have been expended before their journey began . A large cache would ensure you had plenty for the trip . I was not advocating 25k rounds in the cart .

Guest Billetproof

Just watched it and feel like I lost 90 minutes of my life! Too bad they cut it short and didn't show the family eating the kid in the end.:death:

Guest Moody
Just watched it and feel like I lost 90 minutes of my life! Too bad they cut it short and didn't show the family eating the kid in the end.:D

:P WTF

Guest Billetproof

Just didn't like it. Liked his morals but thought they wold have been better off putting that Smith in their mouth and saving an hour of boredom!

:death: WTF