Running for office

I spent a lot of time over the course of the last two weeks watching both our state Senate and House debate, vote and operate and have become increasingly more interested in running. Possibly for a House seat. Obviously, it is a little late to run this year but I am very much a forward thinking individual. I was hoping that maybe someone here has run for some form of office and could provide some general ideas of what to expect. I also just wanted to see if anyone else had ever considered it and if so, why didn't you?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I've never considered running, but I have been active in the local Republican Party

in the past. Whichever flavor you like, that is one way to get your foot in the door.

Another would be to run for a city or county seat, first. You are getting in the public

arena and that means getting exposure. Start small and work your way up.

Good luck!

If you are really thinking about it, don't let some of these folks on here get you down.

Not everyone is a bad politician. More people should be active in the process, like

the founders intended.

I would love to do more for the city first but I actually think it would be easier (looking at districts lines) to run for the House first. I call myself a moderate but I lean further right than left. I have never and probably will never declare myself part of one party. I figure if I look forward to 2012, I have plenty of time to get out and start meeting more people in my district and talking to them and campaigning for myself ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sgt. Joe

No Cap I never ran for anything and never considered it. I did when I was a bit younger than you are now help a FL politician with his first campaign, he won but turned out to be a :poop:Bird and remained in politics for decades. I have regretted ever helping him even as little as it was.

But looking back and knowing what we as a country are facing now I do Wish I had ran for something and tried to make a difference, too many of my age who are very good people were content to vote the "lessor of" and live our lives. I feel too many of us doing that is what got us to the place we are in now.

I am very encouraged to see young folks getting involved and I am very happy to see that you are even thinking about it. Like I said I wish I had.

I hope you do run and while you are not in my district I will do whatever I can to help you when the time comes.

My hat is OFF to ya.

Edited by Sgt. Joe

You are definitely seeking a worthwhile effort. I applaud you.

This group may be of interest. It runs several seminars on different subjects. I've pasted the link for the political office area. They recently did one of the Campaign Schools at Vanderbilt. I can't vouch for the quality since I haven't been. I just heard about the seminar on the radio before it came to Nashville.

I noticed they had one for future candidates on the list.

The Leadership Institute | Training by Subject

I've never considered running, but I have been active in the local Republican Party

in the past. Whichever flavor you like, that is one way to get your foot in the door.

Another would be to run for a city or county seat, first. You are getting in the public

arena and that means getting exposure. Start small and work your way up.

Good luck!

If you are really thinking about it, don't let some of these folks on here get you down.

Not everyone is a bad politician. More people should be active in the process, like

the founders intended.

I agree with that.

I personally would never vote for someone that has no experience.

You can have the greatest ideas around but unless you know how to apply those ideas into the black tape infested game of politics, then you are no better then a bad politician.

Good thoughts and good intentions are not productive.

If you wanted to play football, you wouldn't get inducted in a Collegiate unless you had game experience from high school....

That said, I hope you can achieve your goals in politics. Good luck!

Edited by strickj
Guest HvyMtl

Capbyrd, my suggestion: Go lay down and let the feeling pass...

1) You do not have political connections necessary to win. Sure, you can be the Kilpatrick of the Governor's race, but people won't hear from you...

2) You are not independently wealthy. And I mean dirty stinking rich. Haslam wealthy.

3) You are not known. (which points to #2, as wealth enables you to buy ads to make you known...)

4)You do not have a wealthy backer. (I am assuming...)

5) Your goal of service will do you no good. One term will not enable you to make a difference. They do not call the new members "Freshmen" for nothing. Just like in High School sports, typically, the freshmen warm the bench, get water for the Seniors, and hope against reality they will get to play. You will not have any political pull to get any position, whether it be a Party "Officer," or being put on an important committee, critically handicapping what you can do. Every bill you write will die in committee... until you "paid your dues."

So, unless you want to act like a politician, get bought (have wealthy "supporters"), and stay for multiple terms, I suggest against it...

1) You do not have political connections necessary to win. Sure, you can be the Kilpatrick of the Governor's race, but people won't hear from you...

2) You are not independently wealthy. And I mean dirty stinking rich. Haslam wealthy.

3) You are not known. (which points to #2, as wealth enables you to buy ads to make you known...)

5) Your goal of service will do you no good. One term will not enable you to make a difference. They do not call the new members "Freshmen" for nothing. Just like in High School sports, typically, the freshmen warm the bench, get water for the Seniors, and hope against reality they will get to play. You will not have any political pull to get any position, whether it be a Party "Officer," or being put on an important committee, critically handicapping what you can do. Every bill you write will die in committee... until you "paid your dues."

So, unless you want to act like a politician, get bought (have wealthy "supporters"), and stay for multiple terms, I suggest against it...

Ehhh. While I understand what you are saying, I am going to ignore your advice. The way I see it is if I can get a few people to see public office the way I see it, then I have done what I wanted. I want to make people, specifically the people in my area, understand that these people are supposed to be public servants. They are not dictators and we do have a voice. If running for office and letting the people of my area know this makes a few people, young or old, look into the role of government and the way it is supposed to work, then I will be happy.

For me, it's not just about winning or being in office or anything like that. But more of an opportunity to educate people about how out elected officials should act. I can tell you now that I wouldn't be running tv ads or anything like that. I would be knocking on doors on every street and introducing myself. Getting to know the people in the district that I would possibly be representing. And when it came time for certain things to be voted on, I would be back on the streets talking to my PEERS, not constituents. I would be talking to my PEERS about how they felt.

My opinion is that our elected officials are too far removed from the people to ever truly understand what we want or need. And they aren't asking us. That is the problem with our government. We vote for people and then far too often, we don't contact them or communicate with them. And that is what I would be interested in changing.

Guest 6.8 AR

The first thing you have to have is desire. The second thing is energy. If you want

something bad enough and spend the energy doing those things that can get you

elected, you have a good chance.

Lamar Alexander, Fred Thompson and Scott Brown spent a lot of time on the ground

and knocking on doors. It had a lot to do with their getting elected. They are just examples that come to mind and I'm sure there have been a lot of democrats that

have done the same.

Have a good platform and be able to articulate it.

Go for it! It doesn't pay to listen to antagonism. Constructive criticism is helpful and

you already know the difference.

Guest HvyMtl

What do you want to achieve? An actual chance at being elected, or just want to stir up stuff?

"The way I see it is if I can get a few people to see public office the way I see it, then I have done what I wanted."

Um. Running and losing WONT accomplish this.

IF you intend to get elected, and,

1) You do not have $, or a Corporate Sponsor (after the SCOTUS ruling, I fully expect Corporate Sponsored Politicians...)

2) No one knows you...

Here is what you need to do. First, see how "popular" the Representative in your area is... IF very popular, find another district and move, or go city/county level, and start your push there. It will get your name recognition out there.

If he/she/it is not so popular, go read the rules on how to put your name on the ballot, any limits on campaigning, including financial, time, etc. Give yourself the most time you can.

Get your friends and family together and hit them up for time. "Grassroots" campaigning will be the way to go due to the lack of funds.

Use the internet. Use the media to your advantage. Show up at most any major events in your district, if it is Columbia, you have to show for Mule Days, or if it is Bell Buckle, show for the Moon Pie Festival, and politic. Go thru the crowds and shake hands and kiss babies...Set up a booth at the big events... Go to Church wide garage sales on up to the 4th of July fireworks, to any minor and major event you can have access to or can get permission to attend. Get your name out there through face time. Time can trump $, if you and your friends push hard.

Get an icon. Alexander had the tartan shirt, Thompson had the red truck. Get something which will positively remind the public...

Guest Sgt. Joe
Capbyrd for President 2012!!!

While I have never met the man I am sure that would be a step up, but at one time there were a few Constitutional requirements for POTUS, one of them being age, but I am not so sure they are still in effect though.:D

No matter who one is or what they do or have done, every single one of them started with NO Experience, that is a non-issue Go For It.

I thought about it but didn’t do it for two reasons…

1. I would be all about the economy; everything takes a back seat to that. I am a patriot and I want Americans go back to work. I expect each generation to leave their kids as well of or better than they are. My generation has failed at that miserably and the next generation isn’t doing any better.

But unfortunately so many Americans now work for the foreign company’s here; I don’t think I could get elected.

2. Can’t pass the background check. Like many people that would be good politicians I have skeletons in my closet. Yes I smoked pot and I inhaled.:screwy: (Didn’t like it and didn’t smoke after I grew up, but that doesn’t matter when someone is trying to tear you down.)

Let me just say that my goal isn't necessarily in politics. My goal is to serve my community.

Oh good God man. You are merely thinking about running for office and are lying to us already. :D

If I were considering running for office I would delete all my posts here and try to make sure no one found out who I was on here. I would be dead meat if my opposition found this site…. As would most of us.

Edited by DaveTN
I agree with that.

I personally would never vote for someone that has no experience.

You can have the greatest ideas around but unless you know how to apply those ideas into the black tape infested game of politics, then you are no better then a bad politician.

Good thoughts and good intentions are not productive.

If you wanted to play football, you wouldn't get inducted in a Collegiate unless you had game experience from high school....

That said, I hope you can achieve your goals in politics. Good luck!

strickj, how does one get experience to earn your vote? Does Class President or President of the Student Body in High School count?

HvyMtl, did you watch any of the Legislative sessions? If some of the State Legislators I saw have "Political Connections" I would say they must be pretty dense.

This mentality leaves us with only the people we have there now.:screwy:

Capbyrd, you would need to build a coalition, get out and talk to folks. Find people that see things your way and get them to help campaign, talk with the party of your choice and let them know you want to run for a specific office, and then file for the Primary in the race of your choice.

Start a full year+ ahead of the Primary.

We elected a first timer to the County Commission, this year in Madison County.

I think the time is ripe for new voices to be heard.

Be prepared to have you life picked apart, yours and your family's, and you friends. If you can stand the heat, go for it!

Guest HvyMtl

"HvyMtl, did you watch any of the Legislative sessions? If some of the State Legislators I saw have "Political Connections" I would say they must be pretty dense."

Um. Yes, I have "watched" the Legislative sessions. Yes, even the densest State Legislator has "political" and "monetary" connections, or are independently wealthy. Go ask a local T.V. Station how much it is to run a 30 second Ad during the News Hour... Or how much it is to run ads in a Newspaper, or on radio. Even those little signs people post in their yards cost $$$. It all ads up... And it knocks those who should run out of the race before the starting line...

Have you ever thought there would be a supporter or political group out there who want dense people in office?

"This mentality leaves us with only the people we have there now." Yes. It does. However, my argument was and is, simply this, to get elected one must become like the ones who have been elected. To get elected, you must have one or more of these: 1) political contacts 2) money 3) rich supporters 4) name recognition. So, to beat a politician you have to become one. Sad, but, true...

"Be prepared to have you life picked apart, yours and your family's, and you friends." You, and your wife, yes. On this level, your friends and extended family, not so much. Unless there is something big, like your brother being a gay priest, or your mom being the madam for the county. (not directed at anyone...)

Edited by HvyMtl

If you consider the Tea Parties as "political connections" then I guess you are correct there, but I do not believe one has to be a mindless Dem/Rep minion to have a shot at a County or State office. I am seeing ground swell type campaigns that are being very effective this year. As for "name recognition', there are differences now than what the status quo has been.

I am involved in a couple of campaigns where the candidate is going against conventional wisdom (no prior political experience), and the local established party "machines", doing it on the cheap and I guess we will just have to see what the results are.

Here is someone that won a primary for the U.S. Senate with no job, no money, no name recognition, and didn’t even campaign. :rolleyes:

SC Dems uphold US Senate primary shocker

By MEG KINNARD (AP) – 3 days ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina Democratic Party officials on Thursday upheld a surprising U.S. Senate primary win by an unemployed military veteran, nixing a protest lodged by their favored candidate that could have required a new vote.

The party's executive committee decided there was not enough evidence of impropriety to nullify the June 8 election victory by Alvin Greene, a 32-year-old who lives with his father and waged no visible campaign against a former lawmaker.

Greene did not attend the meeting and nobody spoke on his behalf. Reached afterward by phone, he reiterated one of his few, common public statements about his candidacy.

"I am the best candidate in the U.S. Senate race in South Carolina. Let's stop my opponent from reversing forward progress in the United States and South Carolina," he said.

The move upholds the improbable win by Greene, who raised no money and didn't even have a campaign website. Democratic Party leaders intensified their scrutiny after The Associated Press reported Greene faces a felony obscenity charge and the candidate stammered through a series of awkward, terse news interviews. Some accused Republicans of having a hand in the election.

Greene won with 59 percent of the vote and faces Republican Sen. Jim DeMint, who is considered a heavy favorite. Vic Rawl, the candidate who filed the protest, had 41 percent.

The party's 92-member executive committee made its decision after experts and voters testified for Rawl that questionable balloting statistics and problems with touch-screen voting machines indicated a corrupted final tally.

Duncan Buell, a computer scientist at the University of South Carolina, testified he had experimented on the same machines in previous elections and was able to trick them into selecting a candidate whose name he had not actually touched.

"I believe that these should be used with an enormous amount of skepticism," Buell said.

But committee members said they hadn't been presented with enough concrete evidence and could not overturn an election, no matter how much they wanted Rawl, a former lawmaker and judge, to win.

"We do the right thing even when it hurts us," state Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter said before the vote that overwhelmingly went in Greene's favor. "We do the right thing even when by doing the right thing it conflicts with everything that we feel in our hearts."

Some had speculated that Greene, who is black, benefited from an undercurrent of support from black groups.

A state lawmaker has suggested that black voters looking for a black candidate might have chosen Greene because of the spelling of his name, with an "e" on the end.

But the state's NAACP chapter says its leaders didn't even know about Greene's candidacy. And Walter Ludwig, Rawl's campaign manager, said Thursday that most registered South Carolina voters with that spelling are white, and Greene — who had did not attend state or county party conventions — did worse in heavily black counties, anyway.

"How would voters know Mr. Greene was black?" Ludwig asked. "He made no campaign appearances. He attended no Democratic events."

Rawl said he would not appeal the decision but did not answer other questions.

"This is not about me," Rawl said. "It is not about blacks. It is not about whites. It's about the sanctity of our electoral process."

Among the suspicions raised about Greene is that he has failed to fully answer how he paid the $10,440 filing fee to run for office in March. He has said he saved up his military pay for two years but has refused to back it up with bank statements.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler asked Greene to withdraw after AP reported he was arrested in November and charged with showing obscene Internet photos to a University of South Carolina student, then talking about going to her room at a university dorm. He has declined to comment on the charge, has yet to enter a plea or be indicted and says he's staying in the race.

Guest HvyMtl

Yes, interesting situation, which smacks of illegal activity, and /or, as even the Republicans claim, a possible voting machine issue...

IMHO, this is a case where someone was used, by the opponents of a candidate, to prevent the candidate from being the representative for the Democrats. South Carolina is noted for its illicit politics...

Perhaps his win did prevent another typical politician from running against another typical politician...

The way I see it, if the people want to vote someone OUT of office, there has to be someone to vote IN to office. Part of the problem on all levels of politics for too long is the lack of choices to vote for. I have felt for a long time that anyone who was smart enough and of good enough character to hold office and be an effective representative of the people who elected them was also smart enough to stay out of politics. Eventually someone is going to have to step up and be willing to go into office to do the things that are right for the people.

Maybe the the best thing would be to do away with elections altogether, fill public offices like jury duty, just draw names out of a pool of eligible people. If people had to try and come up with excuses to try and get out of serving instead of spending 1000 times what the job pays to try to get the job they might do a better job. Yes, sometimes you would get folks that weren't as smart or as honest as other times, but it probably wouldn't be much worse than it is now. JMHO