WSMV- Gov. Candidates Sound Off On 2nd Amendment

Gov. Candidates Sound Off On 2nd Amendment - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Won't Always Follow Bredesen's Lead

Reported By Cara Kumari

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- In a few weeks, permit holders will once again be able to carry guns into establishments that serve alcohol. The Legislature voted to override the governor's veto for the second time.

Decision 2010: Tennessee Governor's Race

Since the Republicans majority took control of the state Legislature, there have been a variety of Second Amendment issues that have come up, including whether to allow guns in state and local parks and whether or not permit holder records should be closed.

It has been perhaps the most hot button issue for the past two years: whether to allow permit holders to carry their guns in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Bredesen vetoed the measure twice, but the Republican candidates vying to replace him wouldn't have followed suit.

"I believe the Tennessee General Assembly is responding both to the will of the people and the Constitution, so I would have signed the legislation," said Rep. Zach Wamp.

"I would have signed the bill. This is much ado about nothing," said Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey. "It is a no-brainer. If you go about this factually and not emotionally, then this is a no-brainer."

"Permit holders understand that they cannot drink, and I'm not certain why people could walk into McDonalds and not into Chili's," said Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam.

If the GOP retains the majority, Tennesseans could expect more Second Amendment issues to come up. So what will the next governor do when they reach his desk?

"I think we have some big challenges as a state in terms of the state's budget continuing some reform in education and primarily focusing on jobs, so as governor, you'll see me primarily focused on those things, but I will fight to protect Second Amendment rights," Haslam said.

"I believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to defend themselves; it's that simple. Now obviously, when we're talking about felons and crooks with guns, I'll throw the book at them," said Ramsey.

"If the legislation that the General Assembly sends me as governor basically just protects people's right to have and bear arms in this state, then I'm going to sign the legislation, and in this case, a right-to-carry permit statute has been a good thing, not a bad thing," said Wamp.

I don't really like any of those answers.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Usagi

Ramsey seems to be a fellow gun-enthusiast who happens to also be in office.

Wamp seems to be OK with the 2A issues, though not as well versed as Ramsey.

Haslam seems to have taken to his "Conservatives for Dummies" book lessons very well, as his responses are scripted. Typical of a gun-grabber trying not to look like a gun-grabber.

Haslam seems to have taken to his "Conservatives for Dummies" book lessons very well, as his responses are scripted. Typical of a gun-grabber trying not to look like a gun-grabber.

He was a member of MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns) until it became a liability to him.

Guest HvyMtl

I didnt like how this was reported or asked by Chan 4... Tone was pointed... Like they were asking the question in a manner where they were looking for someone to repeal it...

Wamp's last answer was a bit wishy -washy IMHO. Felt the same from Haslam. Strange they didnt have McWherter's response, as he did respond. Said something to the effect: The law should have differentiated between going to Applebee's for lunch and going into a bar at 1am to cause trouble... Heard it only once, so I think that is what he said...

Edited by HvyMtl
Strange they didnt have McWherter's response, as he did respond. Said something to the effect: The law should have differentiated between going to Applebee's for lunch and going into a bar at 1am to cause trouble... Heard it only once, so I think that is what he said...

That is what I understood him (McWherter) to say as well.

Guest HvyMtl

LOL - Anyone go to Capbyrd's Link to the City Paper? The ads beside the article are 2 different firearm and combat training schools...

Guest TNReb
I'm voteing for Ramsey also!!!!!!!

Your post just made me laugh at myself. Based on the last few months I guess I have been highly conditioned because when I first read your post my mind initially registered it as "I'm vetoing for Ramsey also!" I guess all this has made me even more :D than I was! :devil: