I agree with what was done.

Guest jackdm3

Honest and humble questions:

1. In the future, how do we know where constructive discussion ends and bashing begins?

2. For the people who sign up tomorrow, who missed all these similar arguments, how will they avoid creating new ban-worthy cop-topics? I didn't see these warnings in the beginning, so I learned trial-by-fire while wasting mod time.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer that Jack, as I am not a mod. However, I honestly don't see a problem with a news story being posted. But snide comments about it such as "of course he's dirty, he's a cop" are the problem. Those are clearly not constructive.

Because the first amendment exists to allow me to share my opinion. Why do you get to share yours over and over? What makes your opinion more important then mine?

I'm hoping you'll wake up an understand you're being obtuse, but I'm realizing that's not likely now.

First Amendment, really? You want to point out where your First Amendment rights are being trampled here?

While this is David's forum it is a public forum. Anyone has the ability to join. David wants to get rid of me too? So be it.

He might, it's up to him.

Businesses are public, too, but if you do things the owner doesn't like, he can boot you as well.

I just can't stand protecting someone because of the job they do.

If you don't like it don't listen - ignore me. That's fine by me.

Trust me, your wish is granted...

I agree with what was done as well after seeing the thread a little while ago. TMMT was posting quite a bit of threads every day on the same subject and it was apparent what his intentions were with these threads. A good bit of them resulted in members getting banned, or at the very least had to involve moderators warning someone, and alot of those threads had to be closed in the end. It may just be me, but common sense would tell me that if this was taking place in threads that I kept starting, maybe I should stop posting threads on this subject. The way I see it he was given warnings on several occasions and continued to push the limits with what he was posting, so he basically gave David no other choice. It gets old after a while seeing people jump into threads like that to bash LEO's simply because that is the type of thread it is. In alot of them, especially the one in question, I personally think the officers are in the right to do what was done.

For example, here recently I was dropping my g/f off at her apartment here in town so that she could go to work. At the time, she was going in a 3 a.m., and it was during turkey season so I was heading to my hunting spot and it was easy for me to bring her in and drop her off. I was waiting in the parking lot as she went up to her apartment to change clothes, when an officer came pulling up to question me. The folks that like to bash LEO's would be quick to get mad in this situation because in their opinion the officer should have no right to question me for just standing there, but those folks never seem to actually think about these situations before they post. He even kept asking her if she was sure everything was ok, which would have probably made others get even more angry at him. Personally though, I was greatful for him questioning me like he did. She is often in and out of her apartment at that hour leaving for work, or going back there on her lunch break. His actions let me know that she is safer when coming and going from her apartment. I mean come on, it was 3 a.m. and a guy in camo was standing in the middle of the parking lot. I know I would think something strange was going on as well.

Just my usual long winded .02 worth of rambling there. To me I saw that TMMT was basically given every form of warning he could possibly be given and chose to continue to post these types of threads. He was basically begging to get banned.

I'm hoping you'll wake up an understand you're being obtuse, but I'm realizing that's not likely now.

First Amendment, really? You want to point out where your First Amendment rights are being trampled here?

He might, it's up to him.

Businesses are public, too, but if you do things the owner doesn't like, he can boot you as well.

Trust me, your wish is granted...

I don't have the right to say that LEO suck because they abuse their power.

Applying the 1st ammendment to this site is like applying the 2nd ammendment to every building in your city/state. My good guess is that we here all believe in our 2nd ammendment rights. We have the right to own firearms, plain and simple. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, try excercising your 2nd ammendment right at the *police department, *sheriff's office or at the courthouse - "someone else's house". Your presence will no longer be welcome at these locations. (Though instead of being banned, you'd be detained!) You rights haven't been violated, but you broke the "golden rule". The man with the gold makes the rule. Same-same here. David's gold, David's rules.

*NOT intended against LEO's!!!

Yeesh, please try actually reading it some time.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I'll leave you to it now as you proved what I figured to be true. Have fun with your First Amendment concerns, hahaha...

I'd say you have the right to "say" it, but not the right to post it on David's forum because his job, as well as the other mod's jobs, is to keep some sort of peace and order to this forum. Statements like you just made can only cause trouble, and are fairly childish. It's like saying everyone from Memphis is a criminal, it's simply not true and not something people should be posting in a place like this. Sure, there are a few who abuse their power, but the majority of LEO's do NOT abuse their power and are very good people, and those that are on here do not want to be put into the same category as those that abuse their power.

No offense intended for those in Memphis, only using that as an example because the issue of some of the comments toward Memphis folks was one of the first things that came to mind.

MCSCOTT - I agree. The majority do not abuse their power however when those who do are shown to we should be outraged! We should show it. We should talk about it.

You are exactly correct. The issue is that there are several folks who can't discuss their outrage toward the specific officers involved, and choose to make ignorant comments toward ALL officers. It was becoming obvious that this was the type of thing TMMT was constantly trying to get started on here, and at some point it had to come to a halt. Think about it. If everytime someone posted an article about a crime that took place in Memphis, people only came into the thread to post about how everyone in Memphis is a criminal and talked about them like they were no better than the BG, don't you think that would stir up the good people on here that are from there? That kind of think simply shouldn't be allowed on a forum full of good folks like this that are here for friendly discussions. No good can come of it, and it only causes more work for the mods and more banning when the conversations get more heated.

Guest bkelm18

I would find it funny that a thread about someone being banned for anti-cop sentiments would itself turn into an anti-cop thread. I see this starting to head in that direction. Slowly. But surely.

Guest Jamie
Then again I say - we should see it - it can be locked if necessary. Sorry - that is my opinion and I am not allowed to have one of those either according to some people.

I'm not gonna say you aren't allowed to have an opinion, but I will say that yours and everyone else's opinion just don't matter when it comes to how this site is run, and what it's rules are.

You can think whatever you please... you can say whatever you please. But if you're told not to post it here, that's just how it is.

I really don't understand why you seem to have such a problem with that.

As for rights... do be sure and read the last quote in my signature down there.

J.

Still not bashing cops. Talking about bad apples in general. We see government officials congressmen, senators doing wrong they should be called to the carpet (and frequently are on this forum) however there is one group that is untouchable.

My argument is that either they ALL should be untouchable or they should all be fair game. When you single one group out for special treatment that is how we get into trouble and how we got into trouble in this country.

We have equal rights or special rights - I'll take equal any day.

Guest Jamie
I would find it funny that a thread about someone being banned for anti-cop sentiments would itself turn into an anti-cop thread. I see this starting to head in that direction. Slowly. But surely.

That's because some people just have to be hit in the head to learn anything...

J.

Guest Jamie

We have equal rights or special rights - I'll take equal any day.

But you have no rights here. None. Zero. Zip. Nadda.

J.

Don't have to be hit in the head - trying to point out that separate is not equal and special certainly isn't equal either.

David's world - good on it. He wants to give special treatment to one group of people fine. I don't have to agree with it I just want you to understand that special is what got this country into the mess that it is in and we are perpetuating it here.

Guest Jamie
Don't have to be hit in the head - trying to point out that separate is not equal and special certainly isn't equal either.

David's world - good on it. He wants to give special treatment to one group of people fine. I don't have to agree with it I just want you to understand that special is what got this country into the mess that it is in and we are perpetuating it here.

And it could also be argued that letting people run off at the mouth when what they really need is to be told to sit down, shut up, and quit causing trouble, is what got this country into the mess it's in... :rolleyes:

J.