Cold Steel Recon 1!

Since a bunch of us are about to have a variety of these i thought i post mine first! I was fortunate enough to get the tanto and a spear point both 1/2 serrated. I'm keeping the tanto and another member's getting the spear point.

Specs:

Weight: 5.6 oz.

Blade Thick: 9/64" (3.5mm)

Blade Length: 4"

Handle: 5 1/3" long. G-10

Steel: AUS 8A Stainless

Overall Length: 9 1/3" Black Teflon¨ Finish

Sheath: Ultra Lock™ with Ambidextrous Stainless Pocket Clip

My first impression is that it is BIG. Not in a bad way, just a bit larger than I was expecting. I count it as a positive thing. Second impression is that the handles are very grippy. A little more than I would like, but I imagine they will smooth down some with carry. Again, probably a good thing for use. Third is that it is VERY sharp. I can easily shave with it ... literally. Sharpest knife I've ever had.

It opens easily with a flick of the wrist and locks tight. No play whatsoever. Check out their website for video on how tough they are.

This knife is well worth it for more than double the price I paid ($30), which is actually what they go for.:hat: Great deal on a great knife.

Below is the Recon with my Gerber Covert FAST for comparison.

06102010094.jpg

06102010095.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it ever gets a bit "wobbly" side to side with use, you can adjust the screws on each side of the lock.

It doesn't take but a small amount of turn to make it not open at all, though!

Here's another pic to show relative size:

TheBoys2-sm.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pic

I ordered the exact same knife Smith did. I was hoping to get the plain blade, but all they had was the 1/2 serrated blade.

Overall, it seems like a very nice knife. It's a little bit heavier than I expected, but it seems very solid and well built. My only complaint so far (and it can probably be adjusted) is that I can't seem to close it with one hand. The lever is just a little to stiff.

As a bonus I got 2 extra Recon Clip Point knives with my order. :D

After a little investigation it seems that they made an error in shipment. Some guy in Arkansas ordered two knives, but they got shipped to me instead of him. I'll have to contact Cold Steel and get it straightened out.

Got my Recon today and I was blown away by how big it was! It is the exact same length as a standard envelope.

34b1f648.jpg

The only thing I didn't like was the blade tension was too loose for the size of the blade and I cut the crap out of my finger when the blade closed on it. One small turn with a torx bit fixed that. (Blade is really sharp BTW)The G10 handles feel terrific. The pocket clip is a bit stiff, but because of the size I don't think I'll be EDC this knife anytime soon. Overall, it seems really well built and I'm glad to have it.

Got my Recon today and I was blown away by how big it was! It is the exact same length as a standard envelope.

34b1f648.jpg

....but because of the size I don't think I'll be EDC this knife anytime soon.

Fit in my back pocket fine, snuggles right in upright next to wallet.

I don't use the clip.

- OS

Fit in my back pocket fine, snuggles right in upright next to wallet.

I don't use the clip.

- OS

I've gotten away from carrying anything in my back pocket. Going with a front pocket wallet was a great decision. Makes sitting way more comfortable and it's more secure.

My 2010 Recon 1 with the tanto blade came in late last week. I love it even more than my 2009 model.

I'd love to hear the comparison. I know they changed the grip and blade profile (at least on the tanto) and the locking mechanism. Anything else?