Randall's

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

Let's see 'em...

I ordered mine over 5 yrs ago and it should be here in the next 3 weeks. It is a Randall 1 w/8" carbon blade, stag handle, Nickel/Silver hilt & pommel. Their prices have gone up alot in the last 2 yrs and these are getting harder and harder to get.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was intrigued as to what kind of knife has a 5 year wait. Here's what I found. Unbelievable.

http://www.randallknives.com/

Randall Made Knives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Randall Made Knives

4857 South Orange Blossom Trail

Orlando, Florida 32839

Phone: 407-855-8075

Fax: 407-855-9054

Are your knives available for immediate shipment?

Unfortunately, we do not have knives available from stock. Demand is generally so great for all models that we normally have a backlog of years. Currently, we are scheduling knife deliveries for 1st qtr 2015. Randall order limit is one knife every three months per household. Effective November 1, 2007, the limit on extra features that may be ordered on a knife has been set to five chargeable features.

If there's such a demand, why don't you expand, so that orders don't take so long to fill?

Our philosophy has always been to make the best knives we can make, rather than the most knives we can make. We occasionally do add people to our family of craftsmen, but frankly, it is difficult to find experienced individuals who are willing to devote the care to their work that we expect. We simply won't do anything to sacrifice the quality of our knives, and we're convinced that this commitment is what makes our knives so popular. We regret the delay, and we appreciate your understanding.

The first knife to journey into space was the Randall Model 17 Astro Knife. It was conceived by Major L. Gordon Cooper, Jr. to be a survival knife specifically for astronauts. Proper design and construction were crucial, for astronauts orbited over deserts and jungles, as well as ocean. Cooper studied many factory-made knives, but found none to be satisfactory. He finally turned to knifemaker, Bo Randall

The demand is high, but has dropped a bit along with the economy. I grant it's difficult for most folks to understand the idea that a small company that hand crafts knives would keep it's size small enough to build up a 5 year backlog in orders, but they do put a great deal of craftsmanship into their knives that you have to see to "get".

If you get to the little shop in the orange grove you may find that there are a very few knives in the case for purchase on site. That's how I got my first Randall. My others have come from aftermarket purchases.

The quickest way to get one is from the dealers that specialize in them. They place their orders well in advance, but do so every year so that there is a continuous stream of Randall Made knives moving through the market.

My first, picked up many years ago when I first visited Randall, was a little 10-3 "Saltwater Fisherman". Next was the Model 18 followed by a Model 5 with stag handle and the Model 1 in stag.

A buddy of mine is selling his Vietnam Model 15 if anyone is interested.

Guest 10mm4me
5 yrs! Holy cow Batman!

Yeah, I was sitting in Iraq 5 yrs ago and I stopped off @ the MWR after the gym one night and was bored so started looking @ the Randall site and said screw it, I always wanted one and it won't be here for 5 years, so why not. Wouldn't you know it, 5 years came and went just like that. I may sell it. I don't think I will be able to bring myself to ever really use it. I got a Blackjack replica to use. It is a really good blade as well w/the exact same dimensions, made by the Bark River guys

www.knivesshipfree.com Blackjack Section

I used to sell Blackjacks to Randall owners who couldn't bring themselves to use their Randalls or who wanted to put theirs away after having used them. I occasionally got post cards from someone who'd done this claiming the were every bit as happy with the BJ as the RMK.

OTOH, there are blade smiths who make similar knives at a lower price that have delivery times of just a few weeks or months. They won't be "Randalls", but they might end up being even more valuable if the maker's name becomes well known and his work well respected. Stephen Fowler out of Atlanta and Fuad Acawi out of Norris are such young makers.

I used to sell Blackjacks to Randall owners who couldn't bring themselves to use their Randalls or who wanted to put theirs away after having used them. I occasionally got post cards from someone who'd done this claiming the were every bit as happy with the BJ as the RMK.

OTOH, there are blade smiths who make similar knives at a lower price that have delivery times of just a few weeks or months. They won't be "Randalls", but they might end up being even more valuable if the maker's name becomes well known and his work well respected. Stephen Fowler out of Atlanta and Fuad Acawi out of Norris are such young makers.

I have always wanted a Randall Model 1 with the 7 inch blade. The wait list is long but not for the dealers apparently. :)

Guest 10mm4me

Randall has a very short list of dealers they "steadily" supply but even they get Randall's very scarcely compared to other knife brands. I heard a rumor that if you send in an LES and a Military ID u can get one quicker. Don't know if that is the least bit true though

Lots of bladesmiths and knife makers in TN and the SE in general.

BTW, the Randall dealers wait in line, but put their orders in knowing that years in advance. Their investment in time and money allows you to get knives from them from their inventory instead of waiting.

Edited by hso
Guest 10mm4me

I got my Randall in yesterday. I opened it, looked at it, compared it to my Blackjack replica and then wrapped it back up and put it in the closet. It will probably remain there as an heirloom. There is a definite notice in the difference of the fit & finish between the 2. The Blackjack is however a great knife in its own right.

Guest mgjohn

I own #14 & #18 in the Randall line. Great knives, always wanted a #1 but did not order it. Picked up a Blackjack #1 and am very happy with it.

I got my Randall in yesterday. I opened it, looked at it, compared it to my Blackjack replica and then wrapped it back up and put it in the closet. It will probably remain there as an heirloom. There is a definite notice in the difference of the fit & finish between the 2. The Blackjack is however a great knife in its own right.

I have never owned a Blackjack but agree that the looks of the knife are on par with the Randall. Of course you are getting the name with the Randall. That knife will only increase in value whereas the Blackjack is just a used knife.

Where are all the pics of these Randalls everyone owns? :D