Obama administration to sue Arizona

Guest 6.8 AR
Half tempts me to organize a large enough civilian force to overwhelm them, assuming I was capable of such a thing.

Where do I sign up? :shrug:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF does Mexico get off?

Mexico asks court to reject Ariz. immigration law - Yahoo! News

PHOENIX – Mexico on Tuesday asked a federal court in Arizona to declare the state's new immigration law unconstitutional, arguing that the country's own interests and its citizens' rights are at stake.

Lawyers for Mexico on Tuesday submitted a legal brief in support of one of five lawsuits challenging the law. The law will take effect July 29 unless implementation is blocked by a court.

The law generally requires police investigating another incident or crime to ask people about their immigration status if there's a "reasonable suspicion" they're in the country illegally. It also makes being in Arizona illegally a misdemeanor, and it prohibits seeking day-labor work along the state's streets.

Citing "grave concerns," Mexico said its interest in having predictable, consistent relations with the United States shouldn't be frustrated by one U.S. state.

Mexico also said it has a legitimate interest in defending its citizens' rights and that the law would lead to racial profiling, hinder trade and tourism, and strain the countries' work on combatting drug trafficking and related violence.

"Mexican citizens will be afraid to visit Arizona for work or pleasure out of concern that they will be subject to unlawful police scrutiny and detention," the brief said.

It will be to a U.S. District Court judge to decide whether to accept the brief along with similar ones submitted by various U.S. organizations.

A spokesman for Gov. Jan Brewer did not immediately return a call for comment on Mexico's brief. Brewer, who signed the law on April 23 and changes to it on April 30, has lawyers defending it in court.

Brewer and other supporters of the bill say the law is intended to pressure illegal immigrants to leave the United States. They contend it is a needed response to federal inaction over what they say is a porous border and social problems caused by illegal immigration. They also argue that it has protections against racial profiling.

Mexican officials previously had voiced opposition to the Arizona law, with President Felipe Calderon saying June 8 that the law "opens a Pandora's box of the worst abuses in the history of humanity" by promoting racial profiling and potentially leading to an authoritarian society.

Calderon voiced similar criticism of the law during a May visit to Washington.

U.S. officials have said the Obama administration has serious concerns about the law and may challenge it in court. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton recently went further by saying a lawsuit is planned.

Guest Jamie
It is seriously time to pick sides and act on it.
I'm thinking this version is a little closer to correct.... no "ifs" about it.

J.

Guest Jamie
Alright, everybody get your "have gun, will travel" signs ready.

Will my "I'm here to chew bubblegum and shoot Mexicans, and I'm all out of bubblegum" sign do? :grouchy:

J.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackdm3

States' rights be damned.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. Department of Justice is expected to file its challenge to an Arizona state law aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration later Tuesday, The Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition. The law, which is set to take effect later this month, makes illegal immigration a state crime and allows police to check the immigration status of people stopped for other crimes, the Journal said.

Guest 6.8 AR

Donations to the AZ Legal Defense Fund is doing quite well, I hear, from

all over the country, too. There are two people I wish never set foot in

DC:Eric Holder and Barack Hussein Obama , umm, umm, umm:mad: