Flashlights

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been almost two months since the last post on this thread.

A small shot of part of the collection, including a Surefire dealer banner. I have a couple of other lights I could post later. :blink:

Thru7-18-10012.jpg

I cant believe you dont have one of these:

30th_3_large3.png

The SureFire® 30th Anniversary Collector Set - GS-E1B-EWP01 available from SureFire

* I know a certain dealer in Winchester that has TWO for sale :)

I've been looking for a good light, but the whole Dealtime Extreme and CandlePowerForums stuff seems overwhelming. There's just too much to consider, so I keep toting my AA Maglite.

Since there seems to be a lot of knowledge here, would I be hijacking If I asked a few quick questions?

1. Brightness: Xenon or LED? I don't care about battery life, since I will only use is ocassionally.
  2. Strobe: over-hyped or gotta-have?
  3. Crenelated bezel: do I need this or not?

* I know a certain dealer in Winchester that has TWO for sale :blink:

I've been to that dealer and looked at those lights. :) If I had been able to make it down there for the 5.11 Days of May (I think that was it, 20% off all Surefire) I'd probably own a set. I didn't make it down there, and haven't really gotten excited about finding a set. I'm not entirely convinced that 1,000 units is all that limited by Surefire standards. The run of 1,000 titanium Titan lights was a limited run, and the last time I looked you could usually find one for sale without too much trouble. I'd love to have a 30th Anniversary set, but just haven't gotten excited about them enough to make it happen yet. If they're still around for the next big sale, I'll probably add one to the collection.

I've been looking for a good light, but the whole Dealtime Extreme and CandlePowerForums stuff seems overwhelming. There's just too much to consider, so I keep toting my AA Maglite.

Since there seems to be a lot of knowledge here, would I be hijacking If I asked a few quick questions?

1. Brightness: Xenon or LED? I don't care about battery life, since I will only use is ocassionally.
  2. Strobe: over-hyped or gotta-have?
  3. Crenelated bezel: do I need this or not?

Brightness: Both. There are super bright incandescent lights, and super bright LED lights. The LED units wont burn out like an incandescent bulb, and the battery life is usually better. That said, a lot of LEDs seem to have a blue tint, while incandescent lights have a more 'natural' light. Personal preference, really.

Strobe: I think it's hype.

Crenelated bezel: Probably don't need it, unless you intend to hit someone with your flashlight. I'd advise against using a flashlight as a first line of defense, so I'd consider it pretty unnecessary.

What's your light budget? Do you want a light that will fit in your pocket, carry on your belt, or keep in the house/ vehicle? Do you want the light to have a tight, longer throwing beam, or a wider flood type beam? Do you have a preference as far as what type of batteries the light takes?

What's your light budget? Do you want a light that will fit in your pocket, carry on your belt, or keep in the house/ vehicle? Do you want the light to have a tight, longer throwing beam, or a wider flood type beam? Do you have a preference as far as what type of batteries the light takes?

I was trying to keep it under $40, if possible. I don't know how possible that will be considering I want: an aluminum body that I can carry weak-side in the pocket of my jeans with a pocket clip, tail-cap button, bright enough to disorient an intruder/attacker, as long of a throw as possible (don't care as much about the spread). As long as it's bright, I don't mind springing for good batteries.

I like this a LOT, but it's too dim for the price:

Streamlight PT Professional Tactical Series 1AA LED Flashlight FREE S&H 88032. Streamlight Professional Tactical Flashlights, Streamlight Flashlights.

This one seems ideal, but don't know about the brand:

TerraLux LightStar100 Flashlight 100/50 Lumens + Strobe (Batteries Incl.). TLF-1C1AA. TerraLux Flashlights.

This one is perfect, but out of my price range:

Streamlight PT Professional Tactical Series 2L LED Flashlight FREE S&H 88031. Streamlight Professional Tactical Flashlights, Streamlight Flashlights.

or this:

If the last Streamlight you posted is the exact light you want, I'd recomend spending the extra $12.00. You might also want to look at the LumaPower MRV. It's a little too large for pocket carry, but throws very well.

If this will be an every day general use light, you might want to reconsider throw being more important than flood. That's a bit of personal preference, though.

What are you thoughts on this: DealExtreme: $19.41 Ultrafire C1 R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-LM LED Flashlight with 2*Assault Crowns (2*CR123A/1*18650)?

It seems to have similar output, but I cannot find a comparison of the LED in the Streamlight to a Cree XR-E R2-WC LED. I'm sure there's a quality difference b/w the brands, afterall, one is a $19 light and the other is a $53.

I was just hoping the cheapo would do until I can afford a better one. If not, I'll use my AA Mag Lite until I can afford the Streamlight. What would you recommend: use the Mag Lite until I get the Streamlight or get the Ultrafire now?

I personally would avoid Ultrafire for a regular use light. Like most things sold on DX, they're basically the Harbor Freight of the flashlight world. Some folks have had good luck with them, but I would keep using the MagLite. Heck, the cost of the UltraFire is more than the difference of the Streamlight and your budget.

I would also advise that the UF light probably does not meet the lumen rating that they claim. Lumen testig can be subjective, depending on the battery used (how hot is it) and the distance of the sensor from the lens.

Guest buttonhook
I was trying to keep it under $40, if possible. I don't know how possible that will be considering I want: an aluminum body that I can carry weak-side in the pocket of my jeans with a pocket clip, tail-cap button, bright enough to disorient an intruder/attacker, as long of a throw as possible (don't care as much about the spread). As long as it's bright, I don't mind springing for good batteries.

I like this a LOT, but it's too dim for the price:

Streamlight PT Professional Tactical Series 1AA LED Flashlight FREE S&H 88032. Streamlight Professional Tactical Flashlights, Streamlight Flashlights.

This one seems ideal, but don't know about the brand:

TerraLux LightStar100 Flashlight 100/50 Lumens + Strobe (Batteries Incl.). TLF-1C1AA. TerraLux Flashlights.

This one is perfect, but out of my price range:

Streamlight PT Professional Tactical Series 2L LED Flashlight FREE S&H 88031. Streamlight Professional Tactical Flashlights, Streamlight Flashlights.

or this:

coleman MAX at walmart under 30 bucks 115 lumen uses 3 AAA and lasts for 100 hours on them

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been about two months now since the last post on this thread. :tough:

A while back, I posted a photo of a pair of Surefire Winelights, the actual models released for sale. Well, tonight I'll add a photo of the display models. These are affixed to their display stand by a small cable that runs through the loop on the pocket clip, back to a spring loaded reel behind the display. The two display lights are slightly different in markings, you'll notice that the Surefire logo is on the opposite side of the light and they do not have the patent numbers on them, where the two loose versions do. The displays are also missing the 'Caution Hot Surface' warning on the side of the bezel, and the anodizing is slightly mismatched when compared to the loose ones. I don't believe it's because one is a display model and the other is not, I believe it's simply a matter of one being slightly newer than the other. I'd guess the display lights were just pulled off the same line as the other Winelights.

039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

Are the wine lights supposed to be used for some wine related purpose? Or is that just a name because of the color? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not much of a flashlight guy and not a wine person at all.

I really don't know anything about wine, either. The Winelights are a 'limited' edition, E1 and E2-W lights. They're standard E1 and E2E lights, sold with the low output bulbs and anodized in a special color. The knurling feels a bit less aggressive, too. The story I heard on them is as follows:

A Surefire executive, or friend of an executive, was a wine connoisseur. Part of enjoying a good wine, from what I understand, is the color and in some establishments the lighting is rather low, making it hard to fully appreciate the wine. As a result, the individual began carrying an Executive series flashlight with which to examine the color if the drink. He grew weary of carrying the OD green, hard anodized E series in finer eating establishments, so he convinced the folks at at Surefire to make a 'special' run of WineLights.

The story could be a complete fabrication, but that's what I've always heard. I don't think they sold especially well, because a while back a vendor sold a set of the two lights for an incredible value. Now, they're not quite 'common', but I don't believe that they're especially rare.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

006-7.jpg

007-6.jpg

This is an A2 Aviator. The peculiar thing about this one is the color, as the black ones are far less common than the green ones. It's an older model (as all the black ones I've seen are), which you can tell because it has 4 flat sides instead of the later versions with 3 sides with slightly rounded 'flats'.

This is a Surefire 30th Anniversary Collector set. It's a Surefire pen, along with an E1B Backup flashlight. Both are anodized a special color, and serial numbered together in a wooden box. There were 1,800 sets released.

006.jpg

024.jpg

021.jpg

019.jpg

Edited by 56FordGuy
Can I have the box when your done with it?

The wooden box comes inside a plastic bag, which is inside a cardboard box. That cardboard box is inside a larger cardboard box, which is shrink wrapped. All of which was meticulously removed, photographed, played with, then meticulously re-packaged right down to the factory shrink wrap. :shrug:

And the guy at the store thought I was being picky when I asked to check the serial numbers...if only he knew. :rock: Hey, with a limited run of 1,800 it doesn't hurt to check.

Edited by 56FordGuy