Who carries a full size 1911......

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started carrying a 1911 Commander Bobtail and I'm currently using a Galco S.S.S. side snap OWB holster and covering it with my shirt tail. I'm also looking at a Galco N3 IWB holster that looks to be a good choice for more concealment.

My other carry piece is a Springfield Armory XDm 40 and I use a Crossbreed Supertuck with it. Conceals really well and is comfortable to boot. Crossbreed also makes a model for 1911s.

Guest Plainsman

I carry a commander bobtail as well. I began with a milt sparks SSII, which I thought was awesome until I recently purchased a CompTac Spartan. The support and stability of the Spartan is second to none that I've tried so far. Sure I liked the look of the MTAC, but figured that since no one would be looking at it in the first place, I would save the extra 16 bucks and put it towards another item. I've never had any issues with the exposed rivets on the back myself. The 1911 is a pretty narrow frame handgun, which helps it to conceal well, however most are on the heavier side. The weight is something that I have gotten used to, and must say that a good supportive holster and belt are definately worth the money. I would also encourage you to consider a bobtailed model, as it really does help concealment a great deal. Not to mention, they look awesome IMHO.

As far as a government model for carry, I don't see where it would be a lot different carried in a similar holster. I could forsee having more problems with the end of the barrell making contact with a seat or something when you sit down, and possibly a few more ounces of weight added.

Guest eyescream

I'm a fat kid, and I've always worn baggy clothes anyway; so I was already prepared for carrying concealed as far as my wardrobe goes.

I wear a 5" 1911 in a Don Hume 721OT pancake holster at about 3 o'clock. All I wear for cover is a tall-size t-shirt.

IMG_6560.jpg

At the risk of hijacking your thread, I do have something to offer to you. A full size 1911 can be concealed. I carried a 5" 1911 concealed for many years. Since I began attending training courses, however, I have gone all Glock all the time (G26, 19, 17). A fully loaded Glock is significantly lighter, and thus easier to carry concealed all day, than a 5" 1911. You won't appreciate the difference standing at the counter at the gun store. When you come home and unload that hogleg after a full day out and about, however, you'll find yourself wondering what ever made you think the G26 was not the solution.

Edited by redstategunnut
misspelling
  • Administrator
At the risk of hijacking your thread, I do have something to offer to you. A full size 1911 can be concealed. I carried a 5" 1911 concealed for many years. Since I began attending training courses, however, I have gone all Glock all the time (G26, 19, 17). A fully loaded Glock is significantly lighter, and thus easier to carry concealed all day, than a 5" 1911. You won't appreciate the difference standing at the counter at the gun store. When you come home and unload that hogleg after a full day out and about, however, you'll find yourself wondering what ever made you thing the G26 was not the solution.

Agreed.

As for carrying a full-size 1911, keep in mind that most folks have no problem concealing the length of the slide; it's the length of the grip that protrudes and causes telltale "printing". If you are going to carry a heavier weapon, the key to your success is to view your holster and belt selection as an entire platform and not just individual pieces. Namely, select both as purpose-driven components of their ultimate combination.

A good holster paired with a sturdy purpose-built gunbelt will allow to carry almost anything without fatigue and with better chances for concealment. I use a Milt Sparks VM2 and a 1.5-inch double layer cow-hide belt from The Belt Man, and can carry my 5-inch 1911 all day under a loose t-shirt or polo-shirt without fatigue or "being made" by anyone.

Someone here already mentioned that they are using a Galco for this. I'm surprised they are having any success based on my previous experiences with Galco's mass-produced, flimsy, loose gun leather. Maybe they've improved their product since I last looked at any of it, though.

With holsters and belts, you really do get what you pay for and it's typically not cheap to get something really good. But then again, if you trade guns frequently, this may not be for you. :rolleyes:

I'm suprised no one has yet mentioned shoulder holsters. I don't have one yet for my P14, which as far as I can tell is just a double-stacked 1911 with a double action trigger, but it's the route that I wanna go.

I carry a 5" 1911 daily. Yeah, it's a little heavy, but I've always preferred full size guns for a number of reasons. With a good forward cant it conceals well enough that I only worry about it tighter shirts.

• Moderators

I'm a petty thin guy so I have to be mindful of concealment. I carry my PT1911 in a Desantis Intruder tuckable IWB. I have to wear an undershirt for comfort reasons, but other than than it conceals quite well even under a properly sized tshirt (as long as I don't bend, only squat).

Guest tenman

814HS.jpg

I carry a full size Kimber Classic Custom in a IWB holster made my HBE Leatherworks; carried today wearing short pants and a typical knit shirt. I've found the biggest issue was as David mentioned, it's the gripthat can protrude. I carry mine canted forward just past 3 o'clock, this tends to minimize protrusion. What I like about the 1911 is that it is slim, it carries quite well for a full size handgun.

Guest The Highlander

I sometimes carry a Kimber 5" Target model. The weight is a little factor in it not seeing more use, but the sharp-edged target sights and the extended safety are the main reasons. I'm a little porky and those parts of the weapon are a little pokey...not a good combination. When I carry it, I use either a Dillon IWB (no longer in production, and not really missed), or a Don Hume slide (I forget the model number). I also have some Kydex for it, don't recall the brand, they are all pretty much the same despite the makers claims. I'll probably be ordering a Galco Quickslide for it at some point. Great holster because the open bottom lets you go from a 5" all the way down to a 3" barrel on the 1911 frame still using the same holster.

As someone else mentioned, I decided years ago that the lighter weight and higher round count of my Glocks outweighed the slimness and cache of carrying a 1911. I shoot Glocks competitively, and the familiarity with the weapon is important to me. Also, since I do not baby my weapons, I don't get excited when a Glock gets bumped into something hard, which happens daily in my job. Actually, the more dinged up my Glocks get, the more I like them. For my glocks, the holster is almost always a Don Hume belt slide or IWB model. I also have the Galco Quickslide for Glocks coming to replace a worn out Don Hume belt slide as the primary choice.

The slimness of the 1911 is great for carry, the 1911 fits my hand like a glove, and I shoot them reasonably well. However, I still go with Glocks for serious work simply because they are more comfortable for me to carry 16 or more hours a day, seven days a week. With the correct concealment choices, either will work well for you.

To further hijack your thread, but to suggest another alternative, I've found the Ruger SR9 is a GREAT compromise between the two for me. It feels very much like a Commander 1911, points like one, shoots like one, has very good adjustable sights from the box, is amazingly slim, but doesn't have any sharp pointy things to stick me. All in all, it has become a favorite weapon very quickly for me because it has the best qualities of both the Glock and the 1911 in my mind. As I shoot it more, and get a couple more holsters ordered for it, it is getting carried more and more frequently in place of a Glock or 1911.

You will probably end up rotating between weapons anyway, just buy quality holsters and belts, then enjoy them all!

The Highlander