"Survival" Books

A little back ground, In the mid to late 90's I was lucky enough to get a tour at the Naval SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) school at North Island in San Diego. While there I learned of a book series called Foxfire. I am sure some of you may have heard, seen, read them. Well when I retired in 05 a buddy of mine had just gotten orders there so I gave him my field kits as well as all my books (everything from man tracking to edible and medicinal plants). My buddy has since rotated back to sea duty and mailed me the books and kits back.

So here's an idea, maybe the powers that be could sticky a thread for folks to post about books and such relating to survival.

Anyway the Foxfire series is about Appalachia and its culture. They cover just about everything from working a still to food prep and storage.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest G-Pa Glynn

Sounds like a good idea. Have resd all the Foxfire series, dont where they are now. Great books to learn from. ALso have a 1966 edition of "The Complete Book of Outdoor Lore.

I tried reading "Patriots, Surviving The Coming Collapse", but my ADHD got the best of me. Don't get me wrong, the survival stuff is ok, but it reads to much like a tech manual. I hear it gets better, but the chapter on the 2 crazy brothers that are selling guns and wont shut up about gun rights. I am with them, but i don't need to hear a whole dern chapter on why the "MAN" sucks. LOL...

I started "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo. I like it, I just need to sit down and read.

Guest SUNTZU
Been a LONG time since I've seen it, but "The Anarchist's Cookbook" may have something to offer/add.

It offers a way for you to blow yourself the **** up from the guy on the city bomb squad that I know and some military guys. Especially the "cocktails." I wouldn't mess with it. Just my two cents.

I did just read a review of FerFAL's new book on Surviving in Argentina. FerFAL has a current blog, which is good reading if you haven't read it before, located here. The book is here.

English isn't his first language and the book is self published. As the review I read noted that its a prime example of the need for a publisher or at least a proofreader. The "chapters" are here and there topics and firearm knowledge is spread throughout. That said, the information is said to be excellent.

From the review:

He opens the book with a brief bio and history of the Argentina crisis. In short: the country propped up its standard of living and economy by maintaining an artificial 1:1 peso:dollar ratio. When could no longer sustain the fiction they imploded in a matter of a week or two. The government seized all banks, plastic was worthless and money could only be withdrawn in pesos, limit 300/day. The government force converted all dollar accounts into peso at 2:1 but the really ratio on the street 3:1 up to 5:1. Plenty of people had "lots of money in the bank" but could not get to it. I would rather fight zombies.

The real problem was that life had to go on - if you had a job you had to go because there were soon 20 people willing to do it for you. You still had to eat and there was food on the shelves but you had best have cash and the price might be more when you got to the register than it was when you put the item in your cart.

Much of his advice is about preparing to live in a world that is ****ty but still has to function. There is no discussion about "scavenging" the local WalMart but there is plenty of advice about protecting yourself from criminals. Personal security is at the top of the list in this book.

Some excerpts:

You often hear on the news about how grateful a robbery victim should be. "Thank God they didn't hurt me" they'll say, or how grateful a rape victim should feel "Honey at least they didn't kill you."

And when they do kill you in front of your family, the media comment will usually be "How sad. See people? This happens when you resist." The victim is the guilty one. And the victim is no longer there to tell how he was executed with a shot to the head like an animal, even after giving up everything he had.

Out of all the Argentines that saw the same things I do why am I the only one writing this book?

Because I'm one of the proud few that will not into the dark and "accept" these things as normal. ... You can't blame God or fate for personal laziness and lack of responsibility.

...you'll notice that I'm adamant about certain issues. It's not becuase I'm an arrogant bastard.

Okay, I'm pretty arrogant, but that is not the point. ...when I'm particularly hard-headed it's [due to] the number of times I saw [my opinion] verified in real life..."

If you are an Argentine guy that cannot start a fire and cook meat with it and have no problem admitting it, you might as well it over with and have a sex change done.
:poop:

In a section on having the right mindset to resist and fight for yourself, after relating the story of a man who raped three girls in their apartment and beat up a boyfriend who came over for a date, having had zero resistance from them:

Sheep get eaten by wolves, people.
"Do I need a gun?" A few years ago i would have said yes, 100% sure.

I no longer think that way. ... Some people have been castrated so badly by the political correct propaganda, I doubt they would react even if they had their entire family tortured in front of them.

Serious, some people actually say that they wouldn't be able to harm another human being no matter what. That kind of people used to make me sick. They used to make me feel as if I was about to puke.

They still do.

Those wretched souls, I usually tell them that maybe they do need a gun after all, but in their case only one cartridge will be enough.

I've placed my order for this book.

Guest SUNTZU
I tried reading "Patriots, Surviving The Coming Collapse", but my ADHD got the best of me. Don't get me wrong, the survival stuff is ok, but it reads to much like a tech manual. I hear it gets better, but the chapter on the 2 crazy brothers that are selling guns and wont shut up about gun rights. I am with them, but i don't need to hear a whole dern chapter on why the "MAN" sucks. LOL...

I started "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo. I like it, I just need to sit down and read.

I'd skip Rawles Patriots book. But I would get his How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It book. Its a pretty good how to book, in my opinion.

The Last Centurion is just a great read, as well. :poop:

Been a LONG time since I've seen it, but "The Anarchist's Cookbook" may have something to offer/add.

I had a co-workers brother that downloaded the cookbook off of a file sharing site(for research purposes) and was literally contacted by the FBI and basically told to delete it.

Guest jackdm3
I had a co-workers brother that downloaded the cookbook off of a file sharing site(for research purposes) and was literally contacted by the FBI and basically told to delete it.

That would be an awesome conversation on where the 1A is pertaining to dessimination of information. I'd love to know where government draws the line on this stuff. The last cookbook I saw in high school in my Junior or Senior year (88 or 90) and his copy was well worn, probably from all the "ooooh-ing or ahhhh-ing" over its taboo. But what I remember was that it had some survivalist info on eating and shelter during days of meager supplies.

• 1 month later...

I call BS on this. There is no way they would contact someone out of the blue to tell them to delete something they downloaded. At best they would monotor activities but even that is VERY unlikely. They can't just randomly pick out people to enforce a law that was never broken. This is just more tin foil propaganda BS that we, ourselves perpetuate.

This is the same type of BS that causes people to go out and fear buy. Anytime there is fear of bad weather people fear buy milk, bread and eggs, the 3 most perishable items one could probably buy at the store to make themselves feel prepared. These same people bought into the "All ammunition made after June 2009 will have an expiration date". I was at a show last year and a dealer was selling CCI Stingers for $27 a box with a sign saying "Pre June". When I asked about the June thing the dealer stated all ammo made after June of 2009 will expire in 6 months. It was a gimic on his part to prey on the fear of people.

A bit of cautiousness with regards to a lot of things is good so long as it doesn't cause uneccessary fear.

Also, anytime I hear a friend of a friend whose brother had this happen it is almost always either BS or very embellished for dramatic effect. I would love to talk to the person that had this personally happen to them, not second hand but straight from the horses mouth as I call BS.

Also, here is a resource that has everyhting you could possibly want to know about surviving:

us joint services manuals

archival books firearms and reloading

I am not affiliated with the guy but it is the largest compilation of military manuals I have come across.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dragonman
Doubt it. Seen it a gun show or two. Never seen anybody followed outside because they bought it. Or the vendors taking it off the table because somoeone talked to them about it.
I like the one by John "Lofty" Wiseman called SAS Survival Handbook, For Any Climate In Any Situation. He was in the British Army's Special Air Service.

"Add" Belt Loops for Dual Carry (2) Saddle Brown - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.

That is the same book I trained myself on. One of the most comprehensive and practical ones out there in my opinion. I also have the Army FM Survival manual, I read through it every once in awhile. It stays in the passenger seat pocket along with a tarp survival blanket, 2.4L platy, 2 huge contractor trash bags, a fixed blade knife, and magnesium firestarter. I have basic survival needs with that kit. Of course it would not even be close to comfortable.

• 6 months later...

I am in the process of writing a survival book right now. It is geared toward how to prepare for specific events ahead of time and also how to react if you are in a place without your preparations or if you are not prepared. I may be able to help if you have questions, but I won't give away all the good stuff! My publisher wouldn't be happy about that.

• 3 months later...

+1 on the novels in the Deep Winter series. they are pretty good. Fairly quick reads too.

Cody Lundin's books 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive and When All Hell Breaks Loose are both some of the best I have read. They are very blunt an even somewhat entertaining, with simple information that do not require you to be a chemist to figure out. Between them and the SAS manual, they are the first go to books to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gunrunner1979

back about 10 or 11 years ago i had to special order "the turner diaries" form a chain book store and when i went to pick it up i had to sign a release of info doc for the fbi

• 4 months later...

Bottom line. While there are several really good survival skills books/manuals out there, none of them will do you a damn bit of good if you don't personally take the time to learn and practice the skills contained therein. Reading about a particular skill is one thing, actually learning it and putting it to use is something else and it might be easier or harder than you think. But you won't know until you actually attempt it.

IMO, the dumbest person in the world is the one who buys survival books and expects them to save their lives in the event of a crisis and then leaves them on the book shelf.

...TS...

The foxfire books are still being reprinted. I liked "One Second After" as a work of fiction, and for informative books I'm reading things like, "Practical Projects for the Everyday Handyman." I think thats what it's called... It has things like how to make small boats for ice and water navigation, steam engines out of bicycle pumps, wind and water mills, and all kinds of stuff kids would make 100 years ago. If SHTF thats where we could find ourselves...

The foxfire books are still being reprinted. I liked "One Second After" as a work of fiction, and for informative books I'm reading things like, "Practical Projects for the Everyday Handyman." I think thats what it's called... It has things like how to make small boats for ice and water navigation, steam engines out of bicycle pumps, wind and water mills, and all kinds of stuff kids would make 100 years ago. If SHTF thats where we could find ourselves...

I have the complete collection of Foxfire books. They're a treasured part of my library and I still enjoy reading them from time to time. But reading is one thing and doing is another.

There are indeed several very good books out there written in such a way as to actually be useful. I've got a few and they are valued friends. If time permits later, I'll come back with an EDIT and list one or two of my favorites.

Until then, I'll reiterate:

It's one thing to have a book full of stuff you can make if TSHTF, but it's quite another to try to make it when the stress of dealing with post SHTF life is right up in your face. Best to learn in a controlled environment while things are still more or less "normal" than to actually get into a life or death situation and have to rely upon a skill you have read about but do not possess.

Survival books are great things if you take the time to actually learn and practice the skills they contain. Otherwise, they're just expensive fire fuel - which is exactly what you'll be using them for if all you do is read them.

I would never call my self a survival expert (though there are those who might disagree - claiming "expert" status at anything just ain't my bag), but I've deliberately (and otherwise) put myself into situations where the only thing that stood between me and certain disaster were the skills I possessed. Some of these skills were acquired from books and put into practice before hand, some were taught to me and some I taught myself on the spur of the moment by improvisation and adaptation - what works in the hills of Tennessee will not necessarily work on the High Plains of Kansas or in the canyons of Arizona and Utah... at least not without modification.

Necessity is a hard and tough task master and stress is the class cut-up. Anyone can survive for a few days or a week by acquiring basic skills or through pure dumb luck. But if you want to LIVE, you'll tell the class clown to shut the F up. And the best way to do that is to learn and PRACTICE the necessary skills BEFORE you need them.

...TS...

EDIT: Here are a couple of my favorites:

"Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills" - Reader's Digest (An absolutely fantastic book and I highly recommend it.)

"Making the Best of Basics" by James Talmage Stevens is also a great book to have on hand as is pretty much anything by John McPherson (and his wife, Geri).

"The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure" by Colin Towel

There are also several good fiction books out there and I picked up a ton of pretty neat stuff when I was a kid just reading Louis L' Amour novels.

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper

so of all the books listed what would you guys say is the best when it comes to what plants are edible and what isn't thats something I've kinda been looking for anyway. basically does and don'ts on survival.

so of all the books listed what would you guys say is the best when it comes to what plants are edible and what isn't thats something I've kinda been looking for anyway. basically does and don'ts on survival.

There are couple of decent ones out there. If can find the ones we have, I'll come back with an edit later and list them (I honestly can't remember right now what the hell the titles are or who wrote them). The problem with edible plant books is that they pretty much have to be specific to the region you're planning to use them. Otherwise - say if you found one called simply "Edible Plants of North America" - they're either going to be too thick to carry or won't go into enough specifics to be of much help.

As to do's and don'ts, well, I won't claim sufficient knowledge to go into the do's of Tennessee, but if you read this: timestepper/lettertotheboss you'll see that I'm pretty knowledgeable on the DON'TS of the Rocky Mountains:

In the mean time, I'll try to find the books I mentioned.

...TS...

EDIT:

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, but as promised, here are a few that I own and have found to be highly useful useful:

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson, Roger Tory Peterson

Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West by Gregory L. Tilford

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora

I'm sure there are other great books out there, but these three have a treasured place in my take along library.

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper