First gun question

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Hi all! I've been looking around here for a few days now and like what I see! I am looking at buying my first gun in the next few months and was wondering your opinion. I want a handgun for home defense, but i'll probably take it to the range every now and then. I've been looking at a Glock 17/19, or Glock 22/23. Not sure if I want the normal or compact yet, or if I want a 9mm or .40. It doesn't have to be a Glock though. That's just what I've been looking at. As far as price goes I've seen those for around 400-500 new. So that's about my top price (the wife won't justify spending more :tough:). Thanks for the input!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No home is complete without a Glock 19. However there could be several great possibilities that would be great for home protection. I would suggest choosing a gun that allows a weapon light to be attached. Night sights would also be a plus!

I'd second the G19, and add that if the night sights put you over your price range just save up and pick them up later. Big suggestion for new gun owner, practice practice practice.

Range time.

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Ah! Yes I forgot to add that I'm also looking to add those two features! The light I'm thinking about the Glock GTL 11 or 22. I want the dimming one, not sure if the laser is worth the extra 100 or so. Any suggestions about the night sights also?

Guest GLOCKGUY

If I was you I would get a G-23 .40 that way you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel and a few G-19 mags and shoot 9mm and you can buy a G-32 barrel and shoot .357 you can use the G-23 mags their the same as the G-32 mags. And if your planning on carrying I would go with a compact model their easier to conceal

Edited by GLOCKGUY

+1 Glock 19 or 17 with Night Sights & Rails. XD's are something to consider especially considering your budget, a used XD might be another option. You'll have to get a 'feel' for the Glock grip angle, some love it, some have to get used to it. If its for range/ HD... spend some $ for a good pistol light it becomes invaluable for the 'knocks and bumps' in the night.

No home is complete without a Glock 19. However there could be several great possibilities that would be great for home protection. I would suggest choosing a gun that allows a weapon light to be attached. Night sights would also be a plus!
Guest bkelm18
I can put the 9mm and .357 barrels in the 23, but not vice versa?

Correct. You can go down in caliber but not up when it comes to the Glock conversion barrels. With the 22/23, you can convert it to shoot 9mm or .357 Sig.

For HD and Carry the laser is more important to me than the light because I have a small LED light by the bed that I picked up for 5 bucks. For more info:

The Glock FAQ: glock_faq_glock_model_info

There are a lot of conversion kits also. you can even convert to 22lr for practice. I limited myself to the 9mm conversion for the G22.

You can also pick up a nice used G22 for 350 to 400.

As with most all of the "first gun" threads.... find a range near you that has handguns for rent. Try them all. While Glocks tend to be the :tough: , lots of people like other makes better (like me). There's a wide variety available in the $500 range.

Guest tenman

Lots of good stuff out there inthe 400-500 ranger, a G19 with night sights would be quite adequate to the task of defense. As a rule full sized guns tend to be a bit easier to control, the smaller more compact guns can have a bit of bite to them, especially in larger calibers. I'd +1 what peejman said, if you can find a few to try out do so. My first handgun was a Ruger MkII

.22, was a very good gun to learn with, fun and cheap to shoot. Whatever you get spend a lot of range time with it, learn it's quirks, become proficient with it.

Ah! Yes I forgot to add that I'm also looking to add those two features! The light I'm thinking about the Glock GTL 11 or 22. I want the dimming one, not sure if the laser is worth the extra 100 or so. Any suggestions about the night sights also?

For a weapon light I really like the Streamlight products. I have one of these and it is BRIGHT! Very affordable as well.

Streamlight TLR3 LED Weaponlight IN STOCK and ready to ship!

As far as night sights goes, I have no idea. I'm trying to figure out what to get as well. I hear good things about the Tru-Glow TFO sights.

Guest Boogieman

For range and HD use I think the Ruger P series would be perfect. Solid and reliable guns and the lower price tag allows for more money to spend on ammo for practice or a higher quality light/laser combo.

Guest JHatmaker

I recommend looking at several options as well vs just going with a Glock, you might find something you like better. 9mm would be a little cheaper to shoot at the range, but .40 S&W would be a better home defense round in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either, so I wouldn't lose sleep over which caliber to go with.

Most new shooters go straight for the Glock b/c of brand awareness, and rightfully so, it's a great gun. I think everyone should own a G19 at some point during their lifetime, but the biggest thing is what feels the most comfortable in your hand, and what you have the most confidence in when the situation arises. I know when I get a bee in my bonnet I want to hurry and just get something and then go shoot, but see if a range close by has guns you can rent, and see what works best.

Also don't be afraid to look at used pistols in good condition. Can save a few bucks on a gun that only has a few hundred rounds in it.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.

I agree with pretty much agree with everything everyone has said. Glock and Ruger make fine handguns in that price range. I am partial to FNH products (own 4 myself). I like the FNP-9. It is a fantastic gun that can be had for around $500, which includes three magazines. I saw someone had posted one in the classifieds for $425.00. Unfortunately, it has already sold. That was certainly a deal. I really agree with John

Big suggestion for new gun owner, practice practice practice.

I hope I got those quotes right. My first post. If it was me, I would hold off on the laser and really learn to use my iron sights. I love lasers and I know they have their purpose, but I have sometimes seen where they can become a crutch for some people. If it is possible I would recommend taking some private or group lessons. If you can get good sight alignment and good trigger pull down then you are ahead of a lot of people.

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Thank you all for your input. I've been looking at the Glocks, but once I actually go to a store I'll look at everything. I need to get a feel of different guns. Anyone know of a good range that rents around Nashville or Cookeville? Since i'm new to this, I'm also thinking about taking a class at Guns and Leather. At least I think that's where, it's been awhile since I've heard their ads on Supertalk 99.7 :poop:

What it feels like in the store and what it feels like while shooting are different things. Go with the largest caliber you are comfortable shooting and if a conversion is available for cheaper ammo then you can save at the range enough to pay for the kit if you shoot a lot.

I would also suggest starting with full sized and working down to small for concealed carry. There are those who carry a 1911 but I prefer a G27 with Crimson trace. I am now trying an Ultra Carry II in 45. Ammo is the limiting side for me in the 45 family. If you take a box of ammo to the range and hang out you might find someone who will allow you to waste it through their pistol.

Guest cappy

me personally I would go with .40 but a 9mm is good to I guess its all personal preferance and if you want something like a glock but not as expensive smith and wesson sigma models they have them in 9mm and .40 although its not a glock it is still a very dependable on! I own one and haven't had a single problem!

For range and HD use I think the Ruger P series would be perfect. Solid and reliable guns and the lower price tag allows for more money to spend on ammo for practice or a higher quality light/laser combo.

I agree. I personally do not like Glocks - no slight against their quality, etc. but I just don't like the way they fit/feel in my hands. I have a Ruger P95DC (I'm not sure they still make a decocker only model and mine is pre-rail) that I really like, though - and the darned thing is the proverbial Ruger tank. It's pretty heavy but I have actually carried it comfortably in a belt slide holster in cooler weather when clothing options allow me to more easily conceal it and the weight makes it a little easier to shoot than a lighter pistol, IMO. I also like that it is a DA/SA pistol.

Mine runs clean, it runs dirty and before I learned to be more diligent in the care and maintenance of my pistols it went for three years of occasional use with no cleaning or lubing with nary a hitch nor hiccup (no, I don't treat my firearms that way anymore.) It has eaten just about any type of ammo I have fed it. The only ammo that ever gave it any problem was some that I believe was supposed to be for SMGs - had red around the primer. The primers were pretty hard so a couple of them didn't fire on the first strike but even those fired on second strike which simply required pulling the trigger, again.

Edited by JAB

As far as night sights goes, I have no idea. I'm trying to figure out what to get as well. I hear good things about the Tru-Glow TFO sights.

I put TFOs on my XDm, which is my nightstand / range gun. I am very pleased with them. They're very bright in low light, and the fiber optics really help at an outdoor range, when shooting from shade to sunlight. I had found that on very bright days, the contrast between the super-bright sunlit target and factory sights actually made the front sight dot (factory white) disappear - the TFOs fixed that.