Glock 36 vs lightweight 1911

graycrait

One of my shooting buddies thinks I need a lightweight 1911 because he says with my mechanical abilities I can keep the 1911 running right. I've never had an alloy 1911. I've never owned a G36 either, but have shot them a little. This guy is the one who suggested an EMP or a Springfield Bi-tone alloy .45 1911. I have only owned 5" steel framed 1911s but have none now. I've had two 9mm 1911s, a .38 Super and 4 .45ACP 1911s including handbuilt, SA Operator, SA Loaded and SA Mil Spec. I like making them work but for me they are too big and heavy to make me want to use them as daily carry.

I know a LEO down southeast of me who carries a G36 daily off-duty and shoots it about every day with no ill words. I've shot with this fella and he is both accurate and likes to shoot fast. If I can I will try and get his input because I suspect he has more than a few 1911s himself.

Is there anyone on the forum who has extensive experience shooting both a G36s and alloy framed 1911s who can give some practical observations. I would suspect follow-ups on individual targets to be a tad slower, but moving to multiple targets should provide recoil recovery time. Then there is reliability and durability issues I don't know about.

Craig in Clarksville

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig:_________

I own and used to regularly shoot the first light weight 1911; the colt lightweight commander. They are a 4 1/4 inch aluminum alloy frame 45 acp. They carry very well (...to me, much better than a steel 1911--- that few ounces of weight reduction means more than you would think...) and they shoot like a regular steel 1911. They will climb higher in recoil than a steel gun because they are lighter. They are just as accurate and just as reliable as their all steel brothers. I like em!!

RE: The glock 36. I like em. You cant beat the price. They are just as reliable as a 1911. I edc a glock 33. Just a bit smaller than the glock 36.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Craig, I carry a Glock 36 in the summertime and a Dan Wesson CCO in the wintertime. The Glock (like most Glocks) is a tank. It shoots anything I put in it and begs for more. My CCO is slightly more picky, but it carries nicely and has been a very reliable gun. Both are carried comfortably in Crossbreed Supertucks, but I also have a C5 Leather IWB and OWB holster for the CCO. I love them both for what they are and would not get rid of either of them.

I carry a Glock 36. It's a great little 45. Shoots anything I feed it. I bought a +1 extension for one of the mags. It makes it a little bigger but doesn't pinch my pinky like the original magazine. I have been drooling over the new Colt Defenders but I have to seperate my needs from my wants. The Glock 36 meets my needs.

• Administrator

Sub 4" bbl 1911s typically don't run worth a ****. If you're wanting a toy, get a sub-compact 1911. If you're wanting an implement that you can count on to save your life some day, go with the Glock 36. And this from someone who is a fan of 1911s.

Guest Boomhower

I love my EMP, but recently I've been thinking about looking for something else to carry. I end up with a sore back after all day of carrying it.

As David somewhat stated, your intentions and purposes for this gun should be considered before you get hung up on a brand or someone else's idea.

If you go with an alloy framed 1911, be careful with your magazines. Certain mag followers will chew up your frame just below your feedramp. I know from experience (thanks Kimber!)

A 1911 guru on here (maybe tim calhoun) will probably be able to shed more light on this issue. It is for real, though.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest Roadkill Bill

I'm new to 1911s. Just bought one last week and only have 100 rounds through it, with 5 failures to chamber properly. I'm much more familiar with Glocks. I've carried a G21 for about 15 years now, and the only problem I've ever had was with CCI Blazer ammo. The extractor slides off the aluminum case. Other than that it has been perfect. Glock is the only semi-auto I would trust my life with. I think the G36 would be a great idea.

Thanks for all the advice. I have had 5 or 6 steel 5" 1911s, and have shot a G36 some years ago. I have had a couple of commander all steel 1911s to work on and shoot. I just never had an alloy framed 1911 to shoot so wanted some opinions. My buddy who is encouraging me to get an alloy framed 1911 or an EMP is going to have a fit when he finds out I picked up a Star BM instead;)

About an alloy: I was selling a pistol to a fellow here in TN and he asked me if was an alloy frame. I told him that I certainly hoped so. He said he was not interested. i tried to explain but he was not interested. I believe most people do not understand the word alloy. Look it up! So called steel is usually a compound or blend of two or more elements. it's not worth a hoot trying to make it from iron by itself. I would focus on the where metal meets metal such as slide to frame. Some alloys form special (undesirable) properties when subject to heat. Unlike alloys may present additional special problems. This may bore you folks.

The only alloy pistol I have is a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I use magazines from Wilson Combat and have yet to have any problems with this pistol. At 25 yards of less, I shoot it as well as my Commander or full size 1911s. I've heard others say the smaller 1911s have problems, but I haven't seen it with this one. The difference in size and weight make it a nice carry pistol.

Guest Hillbilly Dan

I have had and carried a model 36. I enjoyed the pistol and it shot well. I even added a laser to it. When I shoot I do so in a defensive manner so I double tap most of the time. Not shooting one nice hole. The Glock did what was needed. I no longer have the Glock. I carry a Wilson 1911. I have had and used 1911's since my early days in the military. I carried a good old Colt across the seas for a good while and it did me well. The Wilson is a light weight model and it does me well. I just ordered a Kimber Super Carry and I will retire the Wilson when it gets here. There has been others in my collection as well. Colts, Sigs, and a Para, but the way to go for a fighting handgun is 1911 of some type. John Browning designed a gun that many others have tried to copy or at least used some paret of his design in what they do. Funny how most all manufactors put out a 1911. All but, Glock. Does that say something?

Guest grimel
Thanks for all the advice. I have had 5 or 6 steel 5" 1911s, and have shot a G36 some years ago. I have had a couple of commander all steel 1911s to work on and shoot. I just never had an alloy framed 1911 to shoot so wanted some opinions. My buddy who is encouraging me to get an alloy framed 1911 or an EMP is going to have a fit when he finds out I picked up a Star BM instead;)

1) don't let your buddy pick YOUR EDC.

2) if you buy an aluminum framed 1911 only use mags with a captured follower (Wilson, Tripp) so the follower doesn't bugger up your feed ramp.

As for aluminum frame 1911's if you go below a 4" gun you ask for troubles. The small guns will work IF you change recoil springs every 300 or so rounds AND you have a rock solid grip AND can be sure when you need it to work nothing will happen that leaves you with a weakened off hand only grip.

• Administrator
Funny how most all manufactors put out a 1911. All but, Glock. Does that say something?

No, not really. Unless you're saying it says something about the fact that some people will draw conclusions based off of the damndest things. :)

Guest drv2fst

I'm making the move away from plastic guns (Glock's, XDM's, and Kahr's) and into 1911's. I have recently been getting back into 1911's after several years of happy plastic gun shooting. For me maybe it is just something different. I have never had any problems with my plastic guns. I'm just bored with them. To me, 1911's are a joy to shoot and a modern work of art and craftsmanship.