A good 1911 For a GREAT price

CM1021

So I'm definately looking at getting a 1911 soon and would like some input from you guys...I'm looking for a full size handgun...and in the .45 caliber...doesn't matter if it's matte black or SS...so that's pretty much the only things that I would like on the guns...

I love Kimbers but for my first 1911 I couldn't really justify spending a grand on a pistol...so I'm looking in the lower end but that will still perform...

thanks for your help guys!!

Coty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

You can get a brand new Kimber Custom II for $700 if you look around. I always go back to an old saying when guns, quality, and price are discussed. I paid $500 for my like new Kimber TLE II.

"Quality remains long after value is forgotten"

Guest tenman

My first 1911 was (and remains) a Kimber Classic Custom, one of the early models. Found it lightly used, very tight and in excellent condition for $550. It has proven to be a great gun, shoots almost everything I put through it with very little change in point of impact. Patience is the key, there are a lot of good choices and deals to be found- enjoy the hunt and be ready to pull the trigger when you find the one you want :) I tend to agree with some of the other comments as well, don't be afraid to stretch a bit if it means buying up in quality.

Edited by tenman
You can get a brand new Kimber Custom II for $700 if you look around. I always go back to an old saying when guns, quality, and price are discussed. I paid $500 for my like new Kimber TLE II.

"Quality remains long after value is forgotten"

I agree. Not knocking any brand, I like them all. However, buy what you want if you can. I know of a local guy who has $1400 in a RIA because he wanted to "save" money. If you want a Kimber, look around for a nice used (broken in) example. I bought mine from a local gun guru. He had fired approximately 500 rounds and wanted a new pistol. Every source I have consulted recommends 500 rounds to break in a 1911 before carrying. When you factor the cost of this ammo, approximately $200 +/- into your decision, it makes the RIA's and Springfields climb into the range 10mm4me is talking about.

Just my thoughts.

If I could get a good used kimber for the $550 range I wouldn't bat an EYE at it!! I didn't know what the price of a used kimber was really...around here gun shops want to charge you an arm and a leg for a kimber used or new and gun broker is the same way!! So that's why i was a little skittish on leaning more towards a kimber...

Just incase you guys were wondering my dream 1911 is a kimber crimson custom carry!! :)

Guest Ae-35

Save, scratch, dig, hunt, until you find that Kimber you really want. Why "settle" ? You'll be ten times happier, when you finally get what you really want !!!:)

Guest mikedwood

Another sub $500 that deserves looking into is the American Classic II. made in the Philippines it comes with some upgrades over the RIA and has some great reviews.

Guest Arko
Another sub $500 that deserves looking into is the American Classic II. made in the Philippines it comes with some upgrades over the RIA and has some great reviews.

You beat me to it. So far my first 1911. LOVE it. The only thing I plan to change is the sights, but even the stock sights are adequate. Solid, tight, accurate and decent fit and finish for the money. Got mine out the door for about $400

I have a stainless Springfield Mil-spec. I got it used, 2 yrs old, with low shot count for $475. Most accurate gun i own. If you can find stainless in your budget get it. I had a trigger job done to get it to 4.5lbs and a few upgrades. Starting with a basic gun and upgrading to your taste is part of the fun. It may cost more in the end, but you get to pay as you go and learn.

RIA's are a great deal and the STI Spartan is a hell of a deal.

Guest cheez

If you want brand new the Rock Island tactical is by far the best choice. If you don't mind used look for a Springer or Kimber.

The price of a middle-of-the-road 1911 is nothing compared to the cost of ammunition over several years of shooting. Especially .45 acp. Especially if you don't reload.

So I guess it depends at least a little on how long you plan to keep it?

I can't really comment on Taurus, SA, Sig, etc... 1911s. I don't own any, and I have never shot one. I do have a couple of Kimbers (Tactical HD II and Ultra Raptor II). I shoot the Tactical more than any other 45 I own and the Ultra Raptor is my carry gun. I wouldn't make the same mistake I made in purchasing them new, unless you really want a new gun. They are fine guns, but I do think they are a little pricey. I would definitely consider buying a used one. There are plenty of them out there. In regards to ammo quality for the Kimbers, I use el cheapo Blazer ammo for practicing, and I have shot thousands of rounds through my Kimbers and haven't had any problems.