Please vote on this poll

Guest Jamie
That's ok cause I'd be willing to bet they don't have any "damn" use for you either.

I'll take that as a sign that I am indeed living right. :rolleyes:

J.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd
As far as the Catholics/Anglicans go I believe if you will check you history books around about this date in 1776 a little event happened not all to dissimilar directly related to a certain countries issues with a government ruled by that religion.:rolleyes: As for the other protestant denominations I have yet to see a country identify itself as one of those. I wouldn't mind living in any of them if they existed. However, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Egypt, SA, Pakistan, ect all identify themselves as Islamic countries ruled by Islamic law. Personally, I'll take judeo-christian law any day.

Your rational is a red herring.

So, it's ok with you for any other religion to build there? Why? As I said, a person who is a legal resident of this country, that has assimilated themselves into our society, and obeys the law still has the right to worship as they please, whatever god they want. Your reasoning would exclude someone simply because of their belief's, Exactly what the countries you mentioned do, unlike the US where it is a RIGHT to believe in whatever god you want. If it is your belief that Judeo/Christianity is "the only way" and everyone else is wrong, you are no better than them.

Guest clownsdd
Got news for ya, BryanP, I don't see much difference between Christian churches and the government.

After all, both want to tell me how to live my life without even knowing a thing about me.

Both want my money.

And both use arguments that they have no possible way to prove.

So, in the end, I don't have much use for either damn one of 'em.

J.

+100 Jamie. Personally I tend to lean toward Buddhism. Only "religion" that ain't gone a "crusade", killed a bunch of folks ('cept burning themselves up) and tried to force themselves on everyone else.

Guest Jamie
Hey, whatever imaginary friend gets them through the day is fine, just don't push it on me.

I fully agree...

However, I'm always astounded at the fact "they", whoever they might be, are never happy with that. It's like they need the emotional reinforcement of others to overcome their own insecurity and doubts concerning their own belief system. Sort of a "I must be right because ______ believes it too". :rolleyes:

J.

+100 Jamie. Personally I tend to lean toward Buddhism. Only "religion" that ain't gone a "crusade", killed a bunch of folks ('cept burning themselves up) and tried to force themselves on everyone else.

I often fancied Hinduism, myself. Judeo/Christianity has a God that looks like Santa, but Hinduism, man, they've got Gods like the characters from Tekken!

Hindu Gods look like they would kick yo' ass! :rolleyes:

So, it's ok with you for any other religion to build there? Why? As I said, a person who is a legal resident of this country, that has assimilated themselves into our society, and obeys the law still has the right to worship as they please, whatever god they want. Your reasoning would exclude someone simply because of their belief's, Exactly what the countries you mentioned do, unlike the US where it is a RIGHT to believe in whatever god you want. If it is your belief that Judeo/Christianity is "the only way" and everyone else is wrong, you are no better than them.

Islam is exactly assimilating into anyone's culture. :rolleyes: Trying to compare apples and oranges saying, "Well they both are round" is naive at best. Again history and current events substantiate my stance.

I often fancied Hinduism, myself. Judeo/Christianity has a God that looks like Santa, but Hinduism, man, they've got Gods like the characters from Tekken!

Hindu Gods look like they would kick yo' ass! :D

Haha, coming from the guys who boohoo other religions for lack of fact and reality (in their opinion).

BTW - Jaime I agree with your observation that a lot of people need others validation to feel better about what they believe. It shouldn't work that way. Reason is many don't really know what they believe or why they believe it. My experience is the more they get to base belief the simpler it gets and the culture, traditionalism, and craziness wears off. Kind like Fox Hole conversions. Too many people have complicated something very simple and made it something that it was never intended to be, just like your government analogy BTW. ;) That is the very issue that Jesus had with the religious leaders of his day. I think once you get past your personal issues with who or whatever did you so wrong with religion, you'll see things differently. Then again maybe not. :)

Guest Jamie
I think once you get past your personal issues with who or whatever did you so wrong with religion, you'll see things differently. Then again maybe not. ;)

Since I arrived at my conclusions by observation and study - not because I've been wronged - it's highly doubtful that I'll ever change my mind.

But then again, you never know. :rolleyes:

J.

you can be assured that if there is a mosque built today there will be a push for shariah law tomorrow.

It has happened all over the world.

Smith is dead nuts on with his assessments of this problem.

Guest jdavis

i am not speaking of my god or your god there is only one god his son was jesus christ he gave his life for you and i think we live in a nation that has forgotten that.. not trying to start a big conflict and i am also not trying to push any religion on anyone at all.

My beliefe is in one god and he is the only god he made this world and guided us in building this nation we should all be proud of that, i also believe that we as a people have made a mess of it, but it is still ours, we just have to fix it and make it something to be proud of again. so instead of downing all of our brothers and sisters of these great united states we should try and help them understand that we only have each other and GOD to lean on, not the "government" or what it stands for or our "politicians" in it, they arent going to do anything but get fatter on our dime.

Guest jdavis

like i said just my oppinion and belief if you dont like it then just ignore it i completely understand. i do have a right to it, and a right to voice it.

No more so than any other house of bigotry. Sorry. Worship.

Good Christians are against sin not those who sin.

Got news for ya, BryanP, I don't see much difference between Christian churches and the government.

After all, both want to tell me how to live my life without even knowing a thing about me.

Both want my money.

And both use arguments that they have no possible way to prove.

So, in the end, I don't have much use for either damn one of 'em.

J.

I have never had a Christian tell me how to live my life, even the ones that know everything about me. They do tell me that God loves me and forgives me of my sins when I ask.

Yes but you already know he means HIS god. ;)

J.

A person can worship anything that they want but there is only one God.

Hey, whatever imaginary friend gets them through the day is fine, just don't push it on me.

Very mature respone.

I fully agree...

However, I'm always astounded at the fact "they", whoever they might be, are never happy with that. It's like they need the emotional reinforcement of others to overcome their own insecurity and doubts concerning their own belief system. Sort of a "I must be right because ______ believes it too". :rolleyes:

J.

I cant speak about anyone else but I'm not insecure and I surely don't have doubts about my beliefs.

i am not speaking of my god or your god there is only one god his son was jesus christ he gave his life for you and i think we live in a nation that has forgotten that.. not trying to start a big conflict and i am also not trying to push any religion on anyone at all.

My beliefe is in one god and he is the only god he made this world and guided us in building this nation we should all be proud of that, i also believe that we as a people have made a mess of it, but it is still ours, we just have to fix it and make it something to be proud of again. so instead of downing all of our brothers and sisters of these great united states we should try and help them understand that we only have each other and GOD to lean on, not the "government" or what it stands for or our "politicians" in it, they arent going to do anything but get fatter on our dime.

Amen

Guest Jamie
like i said just my oppinion and belief if you dont like it then just ignore it i completely understand. i do have a right to it, and a right to voice it.

Well, that's true I suppose...

But can you imagine the :poop:storm there'd be if I were to voice my unrestrained opinion of all religion here? :rolleyes:

I can assure you, there would be some folks here who's heads exploded... and there'd no doubt be a large mob of angry, self-righteous villagers outside my door in very short order, with torches and pitchforks. ;)

So I don't.

J.

Guest bkelm18

I've always found it fascinating, and rather amusing, that though conservatives/right wingers on the surface appear to be very practical regarding rights, they have a tendency to become extremely illogical and unbalanced when it comes to many things. Such as religion. We all cry that the 2nd Amendment should be protected at all costs. What about the 1st Amendment? Does the freedom of religion only pertain to christianity? You can practice any religion you want and worship whoever you want as long as it's christianity and the christian god? Frankly it's disgusting and unsettling, and this is really one of the main reasons I'll never fully align myself with the right wing. I will go on record here and say I do not believe in any god nor do I practice any religion currently (I have dabbled in Buddhism). It's actually quite frightening to see those that fight so vehemently for some rights also fight so vehemently against other rights. I'll never understand it, but I guess that is the nature of things and the nature of the human mind. I personally have no problem with those who feel the need to practice religion. If that's what you need to get you through life, then by all means, that's your RIGHT to practice whatever you want to practice. However there is a line, and when you start forcing your religion while stymieing others, that's when I feel you've truly lost sight of what it means to be a free citizen, and an American.

Guest jdavis

well maybe you should and get it all out in the open, if you want to you can pm me, call me , or whatever you want to do and tell me all your thoughts and issues i will listen and not judge you at all.

Guest Jamie
I've always found it fascinating, and rather amusing, that though conservatives/right wingers on the surface appear to be very practical regarding rights, they have a tendency to become extremely illogical and unbalanced when it comes to many things. Such as religion. We all cry that the 2nd Amendment should be protected at all costs. What about the 1st Amendment? Does the freedom of religion only pertain to christianity? You can practice any religion you want and worship whoever you want as long as it's christianity and the christian god? Frankly it's disgusting and unsettling, and this is really one of the main reasons I'll never fully align myself with the right wing. I will go on record here and say I do not believe in any god nor do I practice any religion currently (I have dabbled in Buddhism). It's actually quite frightening to see those that fight so vehemently for some rights also fight so vehemently against other rights. I'll never understand it, but I guess that is the nature of things and the nature of the human mind. I personally have no problem with those who feel the need to practice religion. If that's what you need to get you through life, then by all means, that's your RIGHT to practice whatever you want to practice. However there is a line, and when you start forcing your religion while stymieing others, that's when I feel you've truly lost sight of what it means to be a free citizen, and an American.

Amen. :rolleyes:

J.

Guest Jamie
well maybe you should and get it all out in the open, if you want to you can pm me, call me , or whatever you want to do and tell me all your thoughts and issues i will listen and not judge you at all.

I assume you're talking to me here. If so:

Why? They're my opinions and of no use to anybody else. I'm quite comfortable with 'em, and have no need for anyone else to accept or approve them. So in the end, talking to you about them - at least in any further depth than I already have - would serve no useful purpose.

Honestly, if I were going to talk to any religious person about such things, in an earnest manner, it would be with the people who haven't felt the urge to air their beliefs here.

After all, there's no need to discuss it with the rest of you, since you never seem to miss a chance to make your opinions known, and generally make it clear that you disapprove of hearing any other. ;)

J.

Well said, that man!

Guest jdavis

i think it is also unsettling when someone belives in god and states the fact that they do that it is in many peoples mind that they are condemming other religions, sometimes i think that people take things to extremes and get all of the thoughts misconstrued in their own minds.

my life is fine and my belief in god is strong, if a person finds an idol to believe in they should believe strongly in it and let their idol lead them down the road they want to go down. we all have religion admitted or not its their.

Honestly the mooderators really need to step in and close this thread. But untill then let me say ive served with alot of muslim men and women who sacrificed for this country. Im talking about American Muslims who choose to go overseas to support America and its values because they believe that our Nation is worth supporting. You wanna tell those people that they dont have the right to worship as they please. How are we to be better than any other fanatics when we close our doors to honest good people because of their religion. Yes i know theres some bad muslims out there, met more than my fair share of them, Ive also met many that have earned my trust, respect and friendship. and if you waant to get into a religious debate atleast read the koran you might realize that its not that dissimmilar from the bible. ive read both, repeatedly, I was raised Baptist and spent several years of my life in muslim countries working side by side every day. So base your oppinion on whatever you want but mine is based on a good deal of actual experiance around muslim communities.

Guest Jamie
i think it is also unsettling when someone belives in god and states the fact that they do that it is in many peoples mind that they are condemming other religions

When a person says there is only one god... and in essence implies that whatever one you believe in ain't it... it's pretty tough to take it any other way. ;)

J.

Guest jackdm3

Honestly, if I were going to talk to any religious person about such things, in an earnest manner, it would be with the people who haven't felt the urge to air their beliefs here.

J.

"Yo ah daisy if you do!"

I assume you're talking to me here. If so:

Why? They're my opinions and of no use to anybody else. I'm quite comfortable with 'em, and have no need for anyone else to accept or approve them. So in the end, talking to you about them - at least in any further depth than I already have - would serve no useful purpose.

After all, there's no need to discuss it with the rest of you, since you never seem to miss a chance to make your opinions known, and generally make it clear that you disapprove of hearing any other. ;)

J.

So you can make your opinions known but others can't?

I love hearing/reading what other people have to say. It's better than tv.