Please vote on this poll

If we're airing....

My problem with all organised religion is the inherant hypocrisy that is so obvious, everyone seems to miss it.

ALL mainstream religions preach tolerance of others, yet it's always those that preach their own religion the loudest that seem least tolerant of others! Not a singe religion yet has managed to prove the existance of their own god, yet are so quick to deny the existance of anyone else's. Every mainstream religion bases their beliefs on a book. Nobody has yet proven who originally WROTE the book (Bhuddism aside) or proved that a single shred of it is true.

Makes you think, huh ;)

The whole 'creation vs evolution' argument makes me giggle inside! The whole big bang theory is just that, a theory. Theoretical physicists admit that it's just a theory & is completely unproveable. It's just best guesses from available data. Creationists, on the other hand, believe that the stuff written down in an old book, with no proveable provenance is the truth, solely because it's written in the book! The funny part is wen they then try & argue about it. Arguing Theory against belief is just the most ridiculous thing I can think of! There's no basis of proof on either side and the theoretical physicists will openly admit this!!! Meanwhile the creationists are waving around their, possibly fictional, storybook telling everyone they must be right!! :D :D :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie
So you can make your opinions known but others can't?

I love hearing/reading what other people have to say. It's better than tv.

Trust me when I tell you that I have NOT made my opinions known. I've commented on what others have said, and mentioned some observations, but I haven't bothered airing or promoting my own views on religion, or "overly religious" people.

J.

Guest jackdm3
ALL mainstream religions preach tolerance of others, yet it's always those that preach their own religion the loudest that seem least tolerant of others! Not a singe religion yet has managed to prove the existance of their own god, yet are so quick to deny the existance of anyone else's. Every mainstream religion bases their beliefs on a book. Nobody has yet proven who originally WROTE the book (Bhuddism aside) or proved that a single shred of it is true.

Like how some contractors dis the work of others to make theirs look better. Except this is on a HUGE scale.

Trust me when I tell you that I have NOT made my opinions known. I've commented on what others have said, and mentioned some observations, but I haven't bothered airing or promoting my own views on religion, or "overly religious" people.

J.

Well I will say that I'm not overly religiuos. Not more than a few years back I made fun of the "bible thumpers" as much as anyone. All I wanted out of life was a cold beer, a shot of vodka, and as much "love" as I could get from as many ladies as I could get it from. My wife and I were getting a divorce until I saw an article in a local classifieds paper that changed me forever. Since then we have worked it out and are extremely happy. I have become a much better father and a better overall person because I found God. Now all I want out of life is to take care of my family in peace and help others when possible. I have never put anyone on this forum down for their believes because it's not my place to do that. I have never met you and probably never will but I wouldn't hesitate to shake your hand and offer you a drink, non-alcoholic of course.

By the way, I have been to church once in the last 10 or so months. I don't believe that church has to be a part of a relationship with God.

Guest Jamie
Well I will say that I'm not overly religiuos. Not more than a few years back I made fun of the "bible thumpers" as much as anyone. All I wanted out of life was a cold beer, a shot of vodka, and as much "love" as I could get from as many ladies as I could get it from. My wife and I were getting a divorce until I saw an article in a local classifieds paper that changed me forever. Since then we have worked it out and are extremely happy. I have become a much better father and a better overall person because I found God. Now all I want out of life is to take care of my family in peace and help others when possible. I have never put anyone on this forum down for their believes because it's not my place to do that. I have never met you and probably never will but I wouldn't hesitate to shake your hand and offer you a drink, non-alcoholic of course.

By the way, I have been to church once in the last 10 or so months. I don't believe that church has to be a part of a relationship with God.

So in other words, you woke up and figured out you were screwing your life up.

Shouldn't have taken any omnipotent being to get you to figure that one out. Shouldn't have taken one to get you to fix it either. ( It usually happens sometime around 25 to 30 years old any way. )

As for the non-alcoholic drink... keep it. Just because you can't handle alcohol is no reason to assume everyone else can't either.

Oh, and we can still shake hands... provided you keep your religion to yourself. After all, that's between you and whoever or whatever you believe in anyway, and has nothing to do with me.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest jdavis

it is nice to have a discussion with anyone who believes as strongly as all of the people on here. like i said we all have religion regardless of wether we admit it or not. good talking to yall.

Then why are you preaching?J.

Jamie you have done more preaching, posturing, and antagonizing on this thread than anyone. OK, we get it you're an atheist, but please note that no non-atheist on this thread has ridiculed your lack of beliefs or invited you to Church.

So in other words, you woke up and figured out you were screwing your life up.

Shouldn't have taken any omnipotent being to get you to figure that one out. Shouldn't have taken one to get you to fix it either. ( It usually happens sometime around 25 to 30 years old any way. )

As for the non-alcoholic drink... keep it. Just because you can't handle alcohol is no reason to assume everyone else can't either.

Oh, and we can still shake hands... provided you keep your religion to yourself. After all, that's between you and whoever or whatever you believe in anyway, and has nothing to do with me.

J.

My life wasn't screwed up, I was as happy as could be, but thanks for the remark.

I have finally realized that you and a few select others here know everything. I also realize that most of the rest of us know you are full of ;).

And by the way I never said I couldn't handle alcohol but I bet you already knew that.

Edited by brooksjr
Guest Jamie
Jamie you have done more preaching, posturing, and antagonizing on this thread than anyone. OK, we get it you're an atheist, but please note that no non-atheist on this thread has ridiculed your lack of beliefs or invited you to Church.

You missed the boat on that one. Can't call someone an atheist that neither believes or disbelieves, but realizes that nobody may have it right yet, or that all may have it right to some degree.

And as others have said, I have just as much right to air my opinions as anyone else... ;)

And I've certainly been no more antagonistic than some others here have been... you included.

J.

Guest Jamie
I have finally realized that you and a few select others here know everything.

I'm not the one claiming to know what can't possibly be known.

I'm not the one claiming I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

Think about it.

J.

Think about it.

J.

You have a point but I wasn't referring to this thread alone.

And as others have said, I have just as much right to air my opinions as anyone else... ;)

And I've certainly been no more antagonistic than some others here have been... you included.

You absolutely have a right to air your opinion, but you don't have to be so combative. I am not threatened by your position, only your demeanor.

Nobody has attacked or ridiculed your position on religion. If you feel antagonized b/c someone else stated their beliefs, that's on you.

You have repeatedly made insulting comments and references to others' beliefs, not the other way around.

Think about it.

J.

So you don't know anything except everyone is wrong unless someone is right, but that is unknowable so it is logically wrong thus you are right. Interesting. :D

Seriously though I enjoy these threads with a smile on my face. I don't get these viewpoints in church very often.;) I can't argue someone to truth only lay it out for you to play it out. Ya'll enjoy! :D

Jaime, as much as you don't like preaching you must really hate yourself! bwahahahahahahahaha!

Guest Jamie
You absolutely have a right to air your opinion, but you don't have to be so combative. I am not threatened by your position, only your demeanor.

Nobody has attacked or ridiculed your position on religion. If you feel antagonized b/c someone else stated their beliefs, that's on you.

You have repeatedly made insulting comments and references to others' beliefs, not the other way around.

I'm not defending my own beliefs here... only voicing that none of us can be absolutely sure we're right.

"There is only one god" is a very combative statement... it leaves NO room for anyone else. And this whole thread - even its very subject - is a slap in the face to any belief other than a Christian one. And that is insulting to a great number of people, in and of its self.

As for my demeanor... It may come across way too seriously, since all you can see is what I'm typing. But then, far too many people here are taking this whole conversation much more seriously than they should. And are feeling much more threatened by it than they should.

One way or the other though, I make no apologies. If a person's beliefs are what they should be, they'll more than stand up to anything I have to offer, without them ever having to say or type a word.

J.

Guest Jamie
Shoot - now I'll have to go read 9 pages to see why it needs to be locked, not that I can lock it.

Anyhoo - IBTL!

So you don't get the locks except with the cape and tights? ( Super Moderators? ) ;)

J.

But then, far too many people here are taking this whole conversation much more seriously than they should. And are feeling much more threatened by it than they should.J.

Jamie, you are absolutely right. This whole conversation has gotten way too serious. Please let me be the first to offer you a sincere apology, if my comments have offended you or if you feel like I have attacked you unfairly.

Far too often strong beliefs in anything cause a person to get defensive. If we had a differing opinion on illegal immigration, tax rates, universal helathcare, or 2nd ammendment rights, this would likely have gotten just as heated. So, again...sorry if I became overly defensive.

Well, that's true I suppose...

But can you imagine the :poop:storm there'd be if I were to voice my unrestrained opinion of all religion here? ;)

I can assure you, there would be some folks here who's heads exploded... and there'd no doubt be a large mob of angry, self-righteous villagers outside my door in very short order, with torches and pitchforks. :D

So I don't.

J.

You've read Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason", I presume? He caused a *****storm in his own life with that one.

Guest jackdm3
If we had a differing opinion on illegal immigration, tax rates, universal helathcare, or 2nd ammendment rights, this would likely have gotten just as heated. So, again...sorry if I became overly defensive.

Been here one year so far. There will never be anything as polarizing as a religious disagreement.

Guest Jamie
Jamie, you are absolutely right. This whole conversation has gotten way too serious. Please let me be the first to offer you a sincere apology, if my comments have offended you or if you feel like I have attacked you unfairly.

Far too often strong beliefs in anything cause a person to get defensive. If we had a differing opinion on illegal immigration, tax rates, universal helathcare, or 2nd ammendment rights, this would likely have gotten just as heated. So, again...sorry if I became overly defensive.

There's no need for an apology.

For me, this is a conversation and nothing more. I can't be offended, and I can't be angered.... though confused, disgusted, and even amused does enter in there on occasion.

I don't post from emotion. Only from reason. Even though sometimes that may look like complete unreason. :D

( Yeah, I think about what I post... even if what I'm thinking is a little... off. :D;) )

J.