Sig P250 9mm, XD9sc, Ruger SR9c?

Guest Boogieman

I have the SR9c, could not ask for a nicer EDC, (I love the XD also). I saw a new one this past weekend at the gun show for $359. I gave $379 for mine at Bass back when you couldn't find them but I'm very happy with it. You can feed it anything and its very accurate. I have a Don Hume holster for it that I like and Nite Siters on it until I can find a laser. Good luck!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Risky Ruger

RUGER SR9C is the way to go. I can't find any cons with it yet. I own it's big brother also and the mags all fit the SR9C. It comes with pinky extension and also the 17 round mag. I carry this one EDC everywhere. Only thing i haven't like so far is I can't find night sights for it that suit me. There are several sight options, but they aren't my preference.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Hey Proscene if you want it I still have the coupon for 50% off off the Viiridian Green lasers for the SR9 series guns. It is good until Sep 30th.

I have no intention of using it. If the Laserlyles dont work out for me once I get them on I will just look for some good night sights. I dont want to add anything to the rail of my EDC's.

For that matter if anyone wants it just PM me with an address to send the coupon. It also says on it that you will need to send in a copy of your sales reciept. I think they normally go for close to $300.00 so the 50% off is a good deal for someone who wants them.

Guest jdavis

just get one of them they are all great, anything that goes bang is awesome.

no i got it just get all three you wont have to decide.

I got my numbers from several online resources. My XDsc is in Florida and I don't have a Glock to weigh.

Well, Springfield is the best online source, since they make (actually, import) it.

They certainly wouldn't overstate its weight.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
...EDIT: I did not see your post OS, if there is that much difference in weight then I do think I would be able to tell the difference. Another thing is Ruger says the "c" and full size are the same width but I swear the "c" feels a bit thicker to me and even looks a little thicker????

Oh, you can tell the diff in weight between a Glock 26 and XDSC9, or Glock 27 and XDSC40, simply by holding one in each hand.

Course, the XD9 also holds 3 more rounds than the G26.

And yes, the subcompact slide IS slightly beefier than the service or tactical, and measurably wider with just a ruler. However, it is also the same overall width as the other models since the frame is still wider than any of the slides.

The XD 9 service (4" barrel) only weighs 1.5 oz more than the subbie.

All that said, a good holster (like the TT Gunleather in my avatar) or a DM Bullard Dual Carry which I've also used, and width/weight is insignificant for comfy carry to me.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Boogieman

My dad bought an XD40sc yesterday after swapping off his SW99. We're hitting the range tomorrow so I'll be able to at least get a feel for the size, weight, and trigger pull on the XD line. I've scratched the P250 off my list citing financials as reasoning (they run near $100 more than the other 2). I'll need the extra dough to get myself a good holster anyway. The prices are about even on the XD and SR9c (about $20) so I'll be ok with either one. I'll report back after the range trip tomorrow. Thanks and keep it coming.

Guest Bronker
...All that said...

Chief...do you ever tire of your personal abundance of exuberant knowledge on so many topics?

I know I do.

:tough:

My Stoeger Cougar 8000 beats them all. No pica-tinny but didn't need one. 15+1 cap. and built to last at least 30,000 rds. Hard chrome lined barrel is easy to clean and is way easier to field strip compared to an XD and Kholster makes IWB's for it, too.

What does the Stoeger have a button you push and the gun just falls apart? ........I can field strip and reassemble my XD in less than 15 seconds it doesn't get much simpler . Pull back and lock slide, flip the switch on the side depress slide stop/release ,pull trigger and its apart, pop out spring ,slide out barrel your done. it took longer to type it than to do it .

Edited by Mad_Squirrell
Chief...do you ever tire of your personal abundance of exuberant knowledge on so many topics?

I know I do.

:tough:

???

Having 3 XDs, I do know a tad about them.

And I can use a ruler and scale, so I've got that going for me.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Boogieman

Shot an XD40sc today and all I can say is WOW! Fits great in my hand and the trigger is simply amazing. Didnt do any rapid fire but didnt feel it was necessary. I was able to reaquire my sight picture very quickly and easily. Bore axis IMO did not make a lick of difference with a good solid grip. I was back on target as fast with the XD as I was with my Sigma. Hoping to get my hands on an SR9c sometime in the future before I make a definite decision. Weight wasnt any kind of issue either but, I havent carried anything at all other than my Sigma in a Fobus paddle around the house. Now I really know what people were saying about the trigger on the Sigma. It was a great gun but I will NEVER go back, lol. It's XDsc vs SR9c in the finals. I've still got time before I have to decide so keep the info coming. Thanks all.

sounds like you're on the right track. I've had several XD9's and I really liked them. Carried them everyday when I had them. The bore axis just didn't work for me, but that is a personal preference issue. Other have no issue with it. good luck and look forward to hearing your comparison with the SR9c.

Boogieman, sounds like you may have made up your mind, but I'll put in my two cents worth on the SR9c.

Hands down it is the most accurate gun I own. If I had to get rid of my stash one by one it would be the last to go, or pretty durn near the bottom anyway.

Fits well in my hands, and they are large. The trigger is soft and easy. I was originally drawn to it, because after looking at gobs of carry guns, I just liked the feel, and the fact that I could use either 10 round, or 17 round mags with a grip extender.

Dead on accurate right out of the box, did not have to touch a thing on the sights.

After using it for a while I bought a second ten round mag because I like the feel of the shorter mag as opposed to the extender on the 17 rounder.

Ruger customer service is good if you ever do have a problem. Haven't shot the XD, just handled it when I was looking, and chose the Ruger. I'm right down the road in JC if you'd like to try it out sometime.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Guest Bonedaddy
Is it a subcompact? If not, then I think you posted in the wrong thread. Also, I don't know that anything can be much simpler to field strip than an XD.

Definitely my opinion of the one that I owned.

A good friend of mine (nieces fiance) has an XD40. He'd tell ya real quick 'bout my Stoeger. 3 to 4 seconds to field strip. Don't have pull the damn trigger and crap or drop the mag.
Guest Bonedaddy
Hey Cap, I am with ya on feeling that little difference in weight but probably it isnt the weight itself just that the guns feel different in folks hands.

I have not shot either the Sig or the the XD but both of them felt a bit thick for my hands, the XD I fondled was not however the "sc".

The first time I wrapped my hands around the SR9 it felt like a glove, I liked it so much and still do that when they announced the "c" version was coming out I ordered one sight unseen, I have never before done that. When I first saw the "c" I was astounded that it was as big as it was and not anything like what I would call a compact.

I did buy it as it had the same glove feel to me as it's big brother. I now carry the SR9c daily but every now and again I will still carry the full size version. I like both of them for the slimness factor, the capacity of 17+1 in either and the idea that they are made here in the US. I would recommend the OP try to borrow or rent all that he mentioned if possible before buying.

I have had no function failures from either of the Rugers and at least the full size was a tack driver right out of the box. I did need to adjust the sights on the "c" a bit but another feature I like is that the sights are very easily adjusted for both windage and elevation from the rear sight. No need for a sight pusher, just a small flat head screw driver and a very small allen wrench to adjust them.

When I got my first one it had a coupon for 50% off the Viridian lasers, the "c" did not but a friend recently bought a "c" and it did have the coupon. I ended up with a set of laserlytes for mine but have yet to install them, they simply replace the rear sight rather than attach to the rail.

Both of them also came with two Mags which seems to be getting less common these days. All in all with both of them around 400 bucks I think either of the Rugers would make a good choice for a dependable inexpensive American made EDC.

"IF" that is they "feel" right in the persons hand.

EDIT: I did not see your post OS, if there is that much difference in weight then I do think I would be able to tell the difference. Another thing is Ruger says the "c" and full size are the same width but I swear the "c" feels a bit thicker to me and even looks a little thicker?????

Some folks think a gun is crap unless it costs $1400 like a Kimber. Wake Up People! A Ruger is as good as ANY gun if it feels good to ya and you can shoot it straight. The ones I shot were fine shooters.
Guest Sgt. Joe
Some folks think a gun is crap unless it costs $1400 like a Kimber. Wake Up People! A Ruger is as good as ANY gun if it feels good to ya and you can shoot it straight. The ones I shot were fine shooters.

I agree fully Bonedaddy, I dont have anything bad to say about any of the other choices because I only know about what I have. Myself and everyone I know that has a SR9 or SR9c simply love the guns. I have seen very few negative posts anywhere about them.

I have almost 3000 rounds thru my SR and nearly 2000 thru the "c" and I have yet to have the first function failure from either. And as I said both were a tad below 400 bucks.

Also if my EDC gun gets beat up by EDC or Heaven forbid taken for evidence after I needed to use it I am not out all that much $$ wise either.

For me Ruger = Good ole American made quality at a very reasonable price.

But it IS still always about what "feels right" for each individual.

I wish the OP the best in this endeavor. I am sure he will make the best choice for him.:)

Guest Boogieman

I really want to try the SR9c out before I make a definite decision. From all that I can find the XD9sc and SR9c are very comparable in most of the ways that count. I am going to find a way to try the SR9c and go from there.

I really want to try the SR9c out before I make a definite decision. From all that I can find the XD9sc and SR9c are very comparable in most of the ways that count. I am going to find a way to try the SR9c and go from there.

One thing you'll probably notice is that height of the Ruger is a tad less and grip is a tad less in circumference.

On the other hand, you give up three rounds with the Ruger over the XD 9 subbie.

I've only shot the full sized Ruger SR9, but it was fine, so I imagine the small version is quite nice also.

- OS

Guest The Highlander

CapByrd,

I really should have qualified my original statement on the porkiness of the XD, which seems to have hijacked the thread a little. I don't care for the XD series all that much, I didn't mind it when it was the HS2000 imported by a company in Knoxville, for about $200 less than Springfield charges. They just didn't have the national marketing and distribution network to swing it unfortunately. It isn't a bad gun, it just doesn't work for me with the high bore-axis and the overall feel. I don't mind the blockiness, heck I shoot/carry/compete with Glocks. But the comparison I was really thinking about isn't relevant to this post, I was thinking of the full-size and target size models. I don't have a lot of interest in the subcompacts, they seem to be specialized to someone that has a need for deep concealment. I started with full-size weapons, and still use them, I just haven't found too many problems with concealment to give them up. And I just prefer the feel of the full-size weapons.

The XDm is a much better looking gun than the XD (my opinion), and feels a lot better as well. But if you compare it to the equivalent Glock, it is a much heavier gun. For instance, the XDm 9mm weighs 31 ounces with an EMPTY magazine, while the Glock G17 weighs only 32 ounces with a LOADED mag, and even the longer G34 only weighs 33 ounces LOADED. Of course, too keep it in perspective, a full-size steel frame 1911 weighs another 3/4 pound more than all of these! I'd buy an XDm if I didn't have so much invested in holsters, accessories, and trigger-time with Glocks. They look and feel great.

But, for the OP, I really highly recommend the Ruger SR9 and SR9c. For all the reasons I mentioned in my post on page 2 of this thread; great adjustable sights, dead-on out of the box, ambi-safety, ambi-mag release, low boreline, light weight, thin, great looking, and great feeling, dead reliable so far. In fact, the SR9 is somewhat replacing my beloved Glocks for serious use!

The Highlander

Guest Bonedaddy
What does the Stoeger have a button you push and the gun just falls apart? ........I can field strip and reassemble my XD in less than 15 seconds it doesn't get much simpler . Pull back and lock slide, flip the switch on the side depress slide stop/release ,pull trigger and its apart, pop out spring ,slide out barrel your done. it took longer to type it than to do it .

Damn near it. Push button on right side of frame, rotate the lever release on the other side and slide slips off, push and pop spring and block out and the barrel dang near falls out by itself. Bawalla! Field striped. Believe me, like I said, my neices fiance has an XD40 and it took him 4xs longer to strip than mine and my gun is more accurate to boot and DOES NOT fail EVER! Plus, it costs less and has a life expectancy of 30,000+ rds before you wear out the hard chrome lined barrel. I also prefer the de-cocker safety when not in the ready DASA config. I did my research. She's priced right and an excellent shooter. I'm HAPPY!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guardlobo

I love the Sig P250. It feels right, has good mag capacity, has never misfired and the compact version is rather concealable. It is a personal favorite of mine in case you couldn't tell.