The Colony - pt 2

Guest HvyMtl

yeesh. No one thought of security - at all.

True, they have no firearms (and due to the fact they were dumped by the government in the area, they probably would not have any) but get something more than a stick.

Put the important stuff where you can protect it.

And the dolt that walks away to sleep away from the "noise" - how dumb was that.

Poor snake. Wasted the snake meat, too. Not one hunter in the group.

Not one thinking past society's rules. The rules no longer apply. Fight. And expect to have to fight. Kill if necessary.

Not one of them really prepared to survive. had to turn it off when the 15 people waltzed into their camp, without having to climb a wall, go through barriers, or even verbally challenged... SAD.

@JAB - Oh, well, they'd at least give the fellow a proper burial. And I personally enjoy Moon Pies. Particularly the Vanilla and Banana. The Orange ones, well... I, too, have been known to down a few RCs as well.

Edited by HvyMtl
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor snake. Wasted the snake meat, too. Not one hunter in the group.

I had stepped away for a minute during the scene with the snake. My wife (who is highly phobic - as in hides her eyes if there is one on television) told me about it when I returned. My response was, "Well, I hope to hell they killed it, skinned it and got it ready to cook." When she replied that they didn't, I said, "Dumbasses."

Not one thinking past society's rules. The rules no longer apply. Fight. And expect to have to fight. Kill if necessary.

When the first three intruders showed up demanding supplies, etc. - after they had been nicely told to go away and began trying to get into the building where the survivors had made their HQ, etc. - I told my wife, "If that were a real situation and we were in it, we'd suddenly have plenty of meat for that night." She said, "Ugh." Then I said (just to get a rise out of her), "You're right. It would probably be better just to capture them, tie them up and quaranteen them for a few days to make sure they don't have the virus. Then we could kill them and eat them." The look on her face was priceless.

@JAB - Oh, well, they'd at least give the fellow a proper burial. And I personally enjoy Moon Pies. Particularly the Vanilla and Banana. The Orange ones, well... I, too, have been known to down a few RCs as well.

I like chocolate things, in general, but with Moon Pies I think I also like the vanilla and banana better. Yeah, the orange ones are 'interesting' - as are the peanut butter ones.

Edited by JAB
Guest HvyMtl

Yeah Johnny, I noticed the fence, too. I also noticed the signs on the fence broadcasting the Govt VOPA stuff. First thing to tear down. Makes people think there is stuff of value in the area...

Hadn't tried the peanut butter ones...

Nothin better than an original single decker, full size Moon Pie warmed to where the coating is melting... yum

Used to be a dessert at those old "Po Folks" restaurants...

Edited by HvyMtl

Not sure what I think of this show. Just watched the last 6 episodes of the previous season, and it was alright. They should sign a waiver that allows full contact with the people they encounter or something because the pushing and shoving while you have a metal pipe/ ax / make shift bow in your hands is ridiculous. Its crazy to me they spent so much time creating a quarantine area and didn't even think to at least secure their supplies.

Guest trigem

Guns?

Give me a break! the gov. rounded them up and dropped them there, Like Katrina, took all weapons from the sheeple, or they were your gun hating neighbors and didn't have guns

Sad, but this is probably more accurate on the sheeple side of things, most people don't even want to think about things going bad, they will be round up and put in camps with barbwire

turned inward to keep them safe ;(

Guns?

Give me a break! the gov. rounded them up and dropped them there, Like Katrina, took all weapons from the sheeple, or they were your gun hating neighbors and didn't have guns

Sad, but this is probably more accurate on the sheeple side of things, most people don't even want to think about things going bad, they will be round up and put in camps with barbwire

turned inward to keep them safe ;(

With this season, I agree that the 'government agency' thing explains why the colonists wouldn't have firearms. That does not, however, explain why the 'raiders' - who obviously aren't 'peace, love hippies' and who weren't brought there by the government agency wouldn't have firearms.

Guest HvyMtl

True, they had pepper spray, but no tazers, or guns.

Again, you cannot kill the participants.

They got attacked and still did not take security as seriously as possible...

Guest HvyMtl

Yeah, the thought of paintball "guns" would possibly make it more realistic.

However, placing firearms into the situation changes the experiment. Would the person use their firearm to save the colony or themselves? If the "outsiders" had the firearms, would they just kill off the colony and take their stuff?

If it is the first question, yeah very valid. If it is the second, it would be a very short experiment.

Guest HvyMtl

Watched the 3rd episode.

Wow. No lesson learned on security. 2 people walk up into the middle of their camp and have to whistle to get their attention. These guys are sitting ducks.

Then they send a 3 person (2 girls, 1 guy) party out to scavenge. Only the guy has any kind of weapons. The girls are unarmed. Of course they are attacked, and flee, and the program ends as they are fleeing.

Stupid.

Guest HvyMtl

The 4th episode is Textbook how NOT to have security.

From the beginning of the episode, where one of two places to live was burned down by outsiders, to the colonists not protecting their stuff, to one going out alone and getting kidnapped...

How NOT to be safe. They still do not even have people stay up at night, no security patrols, no nothing.

Guest Rainmaker

Honestly, the crew from the second season makes the first season, flaws and all look like geniuses. But look at the group. They picked two straight up type A personalities. The 70 year old black carpenter and the other one that can't admit when he's messed stuff up. I think he's Jim? Then there's an artist, a model and a teacher. Not one person is anyone who might've had survival training, or even likely to visit a forum like this one. Discovery channel chose this group specifically because they would NOT realistically survive.

They picked up eight clueless pedestrians with no idea how to take care of themselves. They're going to taser them, pepper spray them, and generally terrorize them in the name of entertainment. That's all the colony is. I originally liked the premise, but it's getting old fast.

Guest HvyMtl

Sigh ok, this last show was ALL EMO -;)

The idiot girl who went ALONE to pick berries got kidnapped by 3 guys (anyone catch what the program calls them? :puke:)

The 3 guys ransom here for basically 3/4 of their medical stuff and over 1/2 her food. NO planning to get her back. NO planning to face these guys and take them down.

NO planning what so ever.

And still they do not do anything to look out for themselves. They do not prepare to protect themselves. But hey, they have a windmill, so everyone in a 3 mile radius can tell there are people there...

Didn't any of these people watch Season 1 before applying for the role? The windmill is like the radio broadcast sign from Season1. DOH!

And as far as knowing where they live? Just look for the building with the lights on at night.

S1 folks had an easier area to secure and maintain. They also had more/better qualified people and more/better stuff. I seem to recall that the attacks on S1 came later in the season, giving the participants more time to (a) secure their stuff and (:tinfoil: begin the psychological process of moving from TV show cast member to survivor.

S2 folks have some serious disadvantages with their location, supplies/equipment, staffing (both quantity and quality), and how early they're facing the outsiders. They do have more group cohesiveness though. Less bickering...but it's still early.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, this last episode there is a "person on the edge of the camp" that is "allowed to reveal himself."

The dude walks into the camp, broad daylight walks into the center of about 6 colonists and posts an invite. They do not notice him until after he leaves... Sad.

They then go and he feeds them, tells them he is former military, and know how to hunt, and they immediately ask him into the group... Do what? This after having a group attempt to get stuff from them...

They eat the food he offers, they welcome him in, overnight. And do not question his intent. Yet, he calls himself "Tick" and is represented as a "Tick" by the show...

I will say this, they definitely need a Hunter, and a person knowledgeable in safety like a soldier...

A couple of things about that episode.

1) "tick" called Reno by name and Reno didn't even bat an eye at the fact that Tick knew all their names.

2) The "president" of the group invites Tick to join them w/o first talking it over with the others.

3) they finally build a watch tower, but don't keep it occupied at all times, why build it then?

4) everybody complaining about what the logger named the boat. Like there aren't bigger things to worry about then the name of the boat.

5) making the ethonal for the airplane/boat motor. How about instead of wasting time with that, everybody work on gather food. Lets see fuel for the boat or food so we can live, which is more important?

Guest Glock23ForMe
A couple of things about that episode.

1) "tick" called Reno by name and Reno didn't even bat an eye at the fact that Tick knew all their names.

2) The "president" of the group invites Tick to join them w/o first talking it over with the others.

3) they finally build a watch tower, but don't keep it occupied at all times, why build it then?

4) everybody complaining about what the logger named the boat. Like there aren't bigger things to worry about then the name of the boat.

5) making the ethonal for the airplane/boat motor. How about instead of wasting time with that, everybody work on gather food. Lets see fuel for the boat or food so we can live, which is more important?

1) Yeah, that would FREAK me out..

2) IDK who the Prez of the group is, but I would have been upset, however, they do need food and more security.

3) I think they wasted their time with the watch tower.

4) I got so upset whenever they were arguing about that. I looked at my GF and said, "They deserve to die of starvation, they would rather sit and complain about "Lawg Dawg" than actually take some initiative and go find FOOD.

5) Food is more important. The funny thing is... If "Tick" can survive BY HIMSELF for 35 days and have all kinds of food, why can't all the colonists do better than that together... Let's see, they're dumb.

Keep in mind that the colonists all still know it's a TV show and not real. Anyone they encounter is scripted for them to encounter, and they know it. They just have to decide if the producers are sending them friend or foe. Michel and logger-girl were accepted in pretty quickly once it was apparent they were meant to be part of the group, and not just passing marauders/beggars/traders. They just moved more quickly with Tick. The fact that he's even there means the producers put him there. It was pretty clear that he could have had his way with them, but didn't. So they read "intentionaly here" + "helping us now" + "has skills this group is seriously lacking" = "friend".

Look on the bright side. They finally cut down the stairs to the upstairs....

Though I suspect those were a second set of stairs, or from another house. Too inconvenient to cut out the stairs they actually use.

Edited by monkeylizard
Look on the bright side. They finally cut down the stairs to the upstairs....

Though I suspect those were a second set of stairs, or from another house. Too inconvenient to cut out the stairs they actually use.

You beat me to it, I think those were from another house. I liked how they were trying to pull the stairs up and the rope broke. As soon as they started I thought, "there should be no one under that thing in case those ropes break", then BAM, the rope broke

Guest Glock23ForMe
You beat me to it, I think those were from another house. I liked how they were trying to pull the stairs up and the rope broke. As soon as they started I thought, "there should be no one under that thing in case those ropes break", then BAM, the rope broke

And then, shortly after the rope broke, there was no one under it... :P