How come everyone on you-tube shoots a revolver until it goes "CLICK"?

I was looking up Ruger Single Six on you-tube. It's a six shot pistol, but every single video I watched, they shoot six times and then one more. Is it that they can't count, or they think that it may have an extra bullet in there somewhere? Or more likely, they know more about taking videos than they do shooting. :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Could be a habit of making sure the gun is empty. When I shoot, whether it's a 1911 or AR; I'm not concentrating on what round # I'm on, I'm concentrating on aiming etc.

Edited by JHatmaker

When you only have six shots and then a slow reload, you gotta count to six. When I watch a western movie, I count the shots. When I hear shots in the distance, I count them. I'm weird like that.

When I watch Westerns I usually count more than 6 shots out of a 6 shooter before they reload. Dirty Harry never knew whether he had shot 5 or 6 either so he asked the "perp" to guess. Having primarily shot revolvers in the 70s and 80s I always pulled the trigger until the click, count to ten then open the wheel fast. Keeping the weapon pointed down range in case of a misfire. Now shooting an auto I wait for a click, drop the mag then check the slide. I am usually to busy concentrating on the target to worry about round count.

Dirty Harry knew how many rounds he had left. He was just messing with the guy. Otherwise he would not have dry fired on the dude after backup arrived. Clint Eastwood was pretty good about six shooters shooting six times in a movie. I have counted as many a 13 shots from a six shooter in some movies. They also tend to rack pump shotguns a lot in movies almost like it's a pump BB gun and the more you pump it the harder it will shoot. The first thing I do when I chamber a round in my pump shotgun (rack) is load another round into the tube. Hollywood never does this. They also wait until they need to fire again before they rack the spent shell out and a new shell into the chamber. Any pump shotgunner will rack a new round into the chamber before the recoil settles. You never wait till you are pointing at a deer to rack a round. What was I talking about????? Oh yeah counting shots. After six shoots with a revolver, or 5 if it's a 5 shot, I'm done. Pulling the trigger again is a waste of time and could get you killed in a pistol fight.

Guest FiddleDog

I thought that focusing on anything other than shooting, while you're in a range situation only serves to enforce bad habits, like shot anticipation and flinching.

Because thats how they do it in the movies. No wait, movie revolvers hold like 20 rounds right? I need a movie revolver! In tired of having to count before I reload. I want 20 rounds in a six shot .44. Yeah! Someone sell me a movie gun!

Buy you a pack of chewing gum and then go for a walk. If you can do that, you can count to six and still concentrate on trigger pull and not anticipating the shot and not flinching. I ain't asking you to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. I'm just saying that the mark of a good revolver shooter is to know how many rounds he has fired and how many rounds he has left. If you can't do that then stick to something easier like a Glock.

Boy that sounded saracstic and angry. If I talked like that to my wife, I'd have hell to pay. I don't recon I meant to sound like an ass, but I do believe what I said. :).

At the range I like to load my 14 round mags with 12, 13, or 14, instead of always 14. That way I get to the end of a mag I unexpectedly, since I can't help counting shots. I give myself a big pat on the back when I hold steady on that last squeeze and I flog myself mercilessly if I dive or flinch and it don't go boom.

I don't shoot many revolvers, so I'm guilty of doing the same thing. I prefer to have the slide lock open on the last round ;).

Yep, I think it's that subconscious waiting on (shoot until) slide-lock. When you have 17+ semi auto mags and then drop down to a six shooter you tend to forget to count.

I only have 5 fingers on my left hand! So I either have to shot a 5 shot or keep shooting until it clicks.

Of course shooting a semi with either 6,7, 8,10, 15, 17, or even 31 depending on the day and what I am carrying. My wheel guns have 5, 6, or 7 and having "Oldtimers" STML means IDGAS about counting. I hear click and know the gun is either empty or misfired and both require attention.

Guest iScream

I shoot revolvers quite a bit and never really thought about it but I have this habit. I just don't bother to count my rounds. I just shoot for fun so that's probably why. That and the fact that one of my revolvers holds 7 rounds and another has a 10 round cylinder. Don't really want to bother with remembering whether I have 6, 7 or 10 rounds.

-Chris