45 acp

bayouvol

OK, trying to find the best off brand 45 for a starter. Not Kimber's, Colts's, etc..

RIA

High Standard

maybe base models of known brands.

I need it to be reliable, economical, and can change parts fairly easily.

If you have experience with different brands please expound.;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

They say the RIA's are the best budget brand 1911's. If $$$ is a factor I would go w/one of those. Although, speaking from experience, if you look hard enough and are just a little bit lucky, you can find a Colt or a Kimber for around $500.

I have a Springfield 1911A1 GI model. Quite affordable (as far as 1911s go). Very high quality firearm in my experience. Never had a problem. I've never shot one, but the RIA 1911s seem to be regarded as one of the best budget 1911s.

Guest tennesseevolz

I have seen the Remington R1 1911 around $600 in the Nashville area---it looks like it may be a great starter 1911-----

Guest Tusculum

Im an FFL holder here in Greeneville. My paycheck job has me being in contact with alot of guys that are as crazy about firearms as most of us. Anyway a co worker approached me about 2 weeks ago with the same question here. He wanted a 1911 but couldnt pay over 500.00. First thing I did was look on G-Broker. There was a company called "Jet Guns" in Kentucky selling a 1911 called American Classic. This gun was 435.00 with no credit card fee and free shipping. I bought it! It came in and I have a 900.00 Kimber and you could not tell the difference when they were laid side by side. It has a skeleton trigger and hammer. It has the long tail at the rear. Sharp checkered wooden grips. It came with a black hard chrome finish that is beautiful! Im not advertising for anyone and not getting anything for plugging the dealer or the gun but it is the best buy in a 1919 Ive seen in years. I also have a RIA 1911 and a Series 70 Colt. This gun puts the RIA to shame going by looks and feel. Anyway the guy bought it and has cleaned every WalMart in this area of 45 ammo. He has yet to have a FTF or jamming. The sights were perfectly set and already with over 500 rds through it it performs flawlessly. Im saving for one now and hope to get one before the price starts climbing. I hope this helps anyone wanting a reasonable 1911. Thanks, Jack

I just picked up a High Standard Compact Crusader. It's a very enjoyable pistol, although you should know that High Standard 1911s are just a rebranded RIA/Armascor 1911s. Can't go wrong with a Springfield or Colt either, although RIA will definitely be the cheapest.

Colt Series 80. The econoline but strudy. Great starter and able to be upgraded as much or as little as you want. I have two and have only good things to say about them. Picked them up for around $450. Other than upgrading sights they are good to go out of the box.

Im an FFL holder here in Greeneville. My paycheck job has me being in contact with alot of guys that are as crazy about firearms as most of us. Anyway a co worker approached me about 2 weeks ago with the same question here. He wanted a 1911 but couldnt pay over 500.00. First thing I did was look on G-Broker. There was a company called "Jet Guns" in Kentucky selling a 1911 called American Classic. This gun was 435.00 with no credit card fee and free shipping. I bought it! It came in and I have a 900.00 Kimber and you could not tell the difference when they were laid side by side. It has a skeleton trigger and hammer. It has the long tail at the rear. Sharp checkered wooden grips. It came with a black hard chrome finish that is beautiful! Im not advertising for anyone and not getting anything for plugging the dealer or the gun but it is the best buy in a 1919 Ive seen in years. I also have a RIA 1911 and a Series 70 Colt. This gun puts the RIA to shame going by looks and feel. Anyway the guy bought it and has cleaned every WalMart in this area of 45 ammo. He has yet to have a FTF or jamming. The sights were perfectly set and already with over 500 rds through it it performs flawlessly. Im saving for one now and hope to get one before the price starts climbing. I hope this helps anyone wanting a reasonable 1911. Thanks, Jack

Jet Guns is another name for Bud's guns.

Guest archerdr1

I like both my Ruger P345 and the Taurus Millenium Pro PT 145. THey both shoot well, I have yet to have a FTF or any problems out of them... if it is not a necessity to have a 1911. Both of these were under $500.

If I am not mistaken the American CLassic .45 ACP you are talking about is made by Bersa.

Here are a few at Buds Gun Shop:

$424 shipped for a decked out one

49736.jpg

$411 for a base model

49735.jpg

If parts will interchange relatively easily they are a steal. I know all parts need to be hand fitted anyways but I am talking major modifications to get the parts in. I swapped out a bunch of parts in a Llama once. It was doable but I would never do it again.

Dolomite

I had the opportunity shoot a RIA last weekend .My brothers friend brought his to the range with us NIB never fired. We went through between all of us a 100rd bulk pack of WWB not one failure .My general impression was it that the gun was well made but the trigger felt kinda crunchy/gritty .It shot very well with the novack sights and was dead on . I'm sold on it. I may get one myself in the coming future but if the trigger feels like that one it will be getting a fluff and buff.

Are these made by Bersa?

From the digging I did they are made by Metro Arms in the Philippines,and most reviews were favorable.

Bersa sold them under their brand .I did not see any of these guns on Bersa's web site now though so they must not import/carry the line anymore.

Metro Arms web site is under construction but I did find an importer that made a web site but can find no info on the manufacturer nor any dealers except Gander Mountain is listed as a warranty service location so maybe Gander carries it in store but i cannot find it on their site either American Home.

I have been wanting an entry level 1911 and purchased an American Classic II last week @ Austin's. I've not had an opportunity to fire it yet. Since I am a 1911 newbe I don't really know how it would compare to a high end weapon but to me the fit, finish and feel are all I could ask for.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KustomHD

I would say looking into the Taurus Millenium Pro PT 145 , I have one and I do love it. Dont get me wrong most people tend to go for Glock's for the price of a Taurus Millenium Pro PT 145 versa Glock you cant go wrong I got mine for $329.00 Taurus quality is very high.