Sharpening Systems

Guest Capt. Thunder

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

For general everyday use, my go to system is a Spyderco Tri-angle sharpener. Have three sets of rods, and it can sharpen about anything I use to a razor fine edge. I far prefer these to the Lansky systems (which I also own a couple of versions of).

That said, I've also got a set of old oil stones that I use when I want to ensure that the edge is just like I want it, at just the angle I want it.

Guest ls2tiger

I use a hard felt wheel on a variable speed grinder with green compound. For razor sharp edges I use Japanese water stones 6000gr.

It depends what I am going to sharpen, how clean I want the edge and how much time I want to spend. I have the Spyderco set, Lansky set and few small field expedient sharpeners. The Lansky set (and the knock off's) are pretty much fool proof once you get the hang of it and take your time. I use it when my edge has been nicked/damaged and the Spyderco for general touching up of the edge. No matter what method you us, take your time to learn it and dont rush the process.

Good info here. I have several kitchen knives in need of some attention.

Having read several reviews of the Lansky and Spyderco, it seems both will sharpen to a razor edge but the Spyderco isn't the best choice for a neglected blade. That sound about right?

• Admin Team

I really like the Spyderco sharpener for about anything - neglected blades included. The primary difference for me is in having the whole system operational in under 30 seconds, as opposed to having to set up the Lansky system, clamp the blade, oil it up, clean it up, etc... The Lansky system will put a great edge on a blade, I just find myself using the Spyderco system a lot more regularly out of convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

With the diamond sleeves the Spyderco Sharpmaker will repair damaged edges that you can then sharpen on the ceramics.

I have several systems, but keep going back to one or the other of the "V" holders with ceramics or I'll freehand sharpen on a set of ceramic bench stones. I also keep a large Gatco fine ceramic rod in my desk drawer for meditative sharpening at the office.

Guest Risky Ruger

I just purchased a Smith System (with guide rods) for angle assistance. I hope it works well. I haven't received it yet. Anyone else have one?

I use a Norton 3 stone sharping unit. It's kind of a industrial unit.A little light oil and it works fine.

It is a free hand operation. It does a great job on my knives, my wife's chef knives,

dressing up wood chisels, and and my buddies filet knives.

Grainger and Fastenal have them. :shake:

I have spent the majority of my life sharpening knives as well as other stuff. What I have gravitated to and learned to use is a soft Japanese water stone. I use a 800/4000 combination stone. I am able to get edges that will literally shave. I also have a polishing stone although I don't use it much. The biggest reason I use soft stones is they work very well and are forgiving at the same time.

I have tried ceramic stones and they work also but tend to be a bit aggressive. I use my ceramic stones to flatten my soft stones. I have used Lansky sharpeners as well as a few other "systems" yet I come back to my soft stones because they produce a better edge in my opinion.

There is also a deifference between having a knife shaving sharp and having a working edge as I call it. There have been times where I have had a knife so sharp and polished that cutting a rope would be a chore because the smooth edge of the knife would just glide across the rope. For knives that gets used I only use the 800 grit side. This leaves the edge a bit rough yet sharp, almost like a serrated blade just on a microscpic scale. Doing it this way leaves you with a knife that cuts fibrous or hard material easier.

There is a trick to sharpening by hand. If you would like I can meet you somewhere sometime and show you what I know. When I used to go overseas as part of my work I would touch down and literally have 20-30 knives waiting for me to sharpen by people in country. Every trip I bet I sharpened close to 100 knives for people.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

Have used various stones and a three-stone set with the angle brackets, and the small ceramic hand sharpeners. Never developed much skill keeping the proper blade angle with stones and do not use em often. I use the little $2 ceramic/plastic pull-thru sharpeners the most just to keep an edge on stuff.

Something have read about and seen youtube videos on, is sharpening with a belt sander. I've tried belt sander with chisels and works pretty dandy. Haven't tried it with a knife because haven't so far had a knife in such bad condition that it needed that.

Had better results sharpening chisels with belt sander than with conventional circular grinder. Circular grinder is another tool that require quite a bit of skill to get a good result. Belt sander doesn't require a lot of skill to get a good result, and it is easier to avoid burning the edge.

Some folks will final hand-sharpen chisels on fine emery paper on a flat piece of glass.

I have and use a LoRay sharping system. It's predates the Lansky System, but it's the same thing. I've had it for 30 years.

I've also been known to stop at Smokey Mountain Knife Works and spend a buck to let them sharpen a knife for me. And of course shop too. In case you want to know, the sharpening desk is downstairs. :drool:

Edited by Moped
Guest davidz71

Lansky for my hunting/survival knives and an Edgemaker Pro ( plastic handle and X shaped round rods) for the knives in the kitchen.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

Something have read about and seen youtube videos on, is sharpening with a belt sander. I've tried belt sander with chisels and works pretty dandy. Haven't tried it with a knife because haven't so far had a knife in such bad condition that it needed that.

I started doing this earlier in the Spring. Bought a little cheapie 1x30 from Harbor Freight and some belts from Veritas and Klingspor. Haven't looked back. I can turn just about anything into a convexed razor in less than ten minutes. Touch-up with the stropping belt is all I've needed, and I use my knives often. Wish I had started this years ago.