Police Scanner questions

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
For those of you with an iPhone ... get the free 5.0 radio to listen to scanner feeds from across the country.
You sir.....are a genius! Thanks. You just gave me another way to completely drain my phone battery.

No kidding. Listening to Memphis and Shelby county....right now.

So does anyone have a recommendation on a good scanner? Have always liked the idea of having one ever since sitting out on a buddy's deck one night many years ago, having a few cold ones and listing to all the goings on.

Edited by Garufa
No phone eavesdropping
Guest db99wj
Nope, I believe he is busy creating a disturbance elsewhere at the moment...

Nope, he wasn't there, he was at home playing with his package........

Um, his new laptop that just came in the package.....

So does anyone have a recommendation on a good scanner? Have always liked the idea of having one ever since sitting out on a buddy's deck one night many years ago, having a few cold ones and listing to all the goings on...including cell phone conversations. :)

Hate to say it but the Radio Shack brand seems to pick up a bunch better then the uniden I have.

Just find out what kind of systems are in use where you want to scan. Some departments (like Memphis & Shelby County) use APCO 25 systems. They need an APCO 25 capable scanner which usually run upwards of $400. Most anything else you should be able to pick up with a regular 800mhz capable scanner. I've heard that, like dralarms said, Radio Shack makes some of the best. I don't really have any experience with them, so I can't say from personal experience.

Just find out what kind of systems are in use where you want to scan. Some departments (like Memphis & Shelby County) use APCO 25 systems. They need an APCO 25 capable scanner which usually run upwards of $400. Most anything else you should be able to pick up with a regular 800mhz capable scanner. I've heard that, like dralarms said, Radio Shack makes some of the best. I don't really have any experience with them, so I can't say from personal experience.

I've got 2 radio shack 1000 channels (like you need that in east TN.:doh: and a Uniden 100 channel. They are all programmed the same, Ie channel 1 in the 1st one is the same as the last one. I can set the uniden beside the others and watch, most of the time the oter 2 pick up on traffic 30 to 45 sec before the uniden.:P The other 2 are also clearer.:D

So does anyone have a recommendation on a good scanner? Have always liked the idea of having one ever since sitting out on a buddy's deck one night many years ago, having a few cold ones and listing to all the goings on...including cell phone conversations. :lol:

My mom has one.. She knew of at least two affairs going on in our old neighborhood. I was home visiting one night and she had it on. While we were listening a guy calls up the house at the end of the street and the husband answers. The person on the other end of the line then tells them that hes been sleeping with his wife and he wants to meet up so he can fight. What do you think we did?

We just happened to need to go out at that same time to a similiar address. A pure coincidence I assure you.

Nothing really happened except some shouting but it was still an exciting few minutes.

When I first brought mine, first thing I heard was a Fully involved Dumpers fire.

Someone on the interstate threw a cell phone at another car.

Never hear much real crime on it. I mainly near 911, first responder type events. I must not have the good super secret channels.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I downloaded the Memphis link to my iTunes to listen to it, and was wondering if Memphis PD had their 10-Codes anywhere. I know they change from place to place and was wondering if they had them somewhere you could look at them as you were listening to make sense with some of it.

Guest db99wj
Memphis PD doesn't use 10 codes. There are a couple of "signals". Signal C - end of shift, Signal Q - shut the &^% up on the radio, Signal Whiskey - stolen car, etc...

LOL!

Does anyone know what will be affected when the rebanding of the radi system is completed? I understand that some radios wont work after that happens, or at least wont pick up the signals desired...and that some will...