Indoor range in Gallatin/Mt. Juliet/Lebanon area??

Guest motonut

I know the insurance rates are high on gunshops. having a range takes it to another level. Some in SC have posted you may not touch or pull out the weapon out while in the holster. A store employee must pull and clear it if for some reason you need to take it out while on their premises. I have also seen allot of people with HCP's that don't know what the hell they are doing. Just because you have a HCP doesn't make you proficient. I have been in two stores in TN that this is also posted. That the pistol must remain in the holster at all time and no hands on.

COOP, those going to Stones River can't carry there either. All weapons have to be cased.

I'm not in agreement with this owner's stance. Plus at the cost of $20.00 to shoot. How many of us spend all day at the range unless with a group.

Let's don't forget that the store owners have no idea who has a permit and who doesn't. AFIK, they don't even have the legal right to make you show it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Stones river is the same way and I expect that at a state ran range, I just don't like it when gun stores/indoor ranges post this for the reasons I posted earlier. IMO!!!! COOP

I went back and looked at your post. Those were some BS answers, and i would have the same opinion. Not trying to promote Specialty over the TGO vendors. It was just my real world experience when I got a satisfactory answer.

I know Stones river is the same way and I expect that at a state ran range, I just don't like it when gun stores/indoor ranges post this for the reasons I posted earlier. IMO!!!! COOP

It's his business and his money invested he can run it the way he wants. You have a state issued HCP you should be able to carry at a state ran range IMO!!! You can chose where you want to go. Thats what is so great about this country!

"An individual with a valid TN Handgun Carry Permit is not allowed to have their weapon loaded and on their person if entering the new Lebanon Shooting range and store? That statement is correct... COOP

Thanks. I wish that store the best; however, I'll have to seriously consider if I'll ever visit them now based on principle. I favor supporting establishments that truly believe in and recognize our 2nd amendment rights regardless of the excuse or reason. It's definitely not a good way to build relationships and long term sales. We have other choices in Lebanon like the Armory and David's Lebanon Gun Shop.

Guest motonut

Good grief! So because they supposedly said they wouldn't sell guns and now decided they will it's an honor issue? Maybe it's also a business issue, they decided they couldn't recover their investment relying on the gun range alone? They've got a lot of $$ tied up in that operation, I don't see them recovering that investment for a very long time.

If you don't want to do business with them or other shops/ranges like Specialty Arms or Stones River don't, but give it a rest with the 2nd amendment and honor crap.

Guest motonut
My problem with a shop like this is, we (gun owners and TN legislators) have fought for carry in restaurants that serve alcohol along with other places over the years. With gun shops and gun shows like this, we look like hypocrites. I can see opponents of such freedoms seeing it as hypocrisy and they would be right.
How about the State Legislature, you know the ones who passed the law? How big a hypocrites are they since they don't allow carry permit holders in their government buildings!

I've already stated that I will not shop at business that I cant carry in when I have a HCP, and I think it's disrespectful of you to go off with the statement of "2nd amendment and honor crap" Once again this is my opinion!!!!!!!!! So give it a rest..... COOP

Guest motonut

Coop, I started this thread asking about indoor ranges in the Mt. Juliet area, if you want to start another thread bashing shops that don't allow CC then go right ahead.

Guest motonut

I went to the range Sat. w/ a neighbor, spent about 90 min. there. As to my original intent of looking for a cooler (temp wise) place to shoot this range was a little lacking. The a/c in the store portion was having a hard time (but it was cool), as far as the range portion it was quite warm (but not hot) in there although they do have individual fans for each of the shooting stations. Now I haven't done very much shooting in indoor ranges and the couple I have shot at were not cool by any stretch of the imagination but this seemed a little warmer than I expected. I'll try the Gallatin range next and compare.

As for the setup, it's pretty nice and well lit with well marked distances on the wall and floor. Target runners worked but they are going to make a modification to them for better control. You can shoot any handgun (even .50) but only rifles of handgun caliber shells (22, 357 ect) no .223's .

The rate was $20 for the day, high but when you consider the investment they have in the facility it's pretty cheap. Edit: If you have 2 shooters and want to share a lane you can do that for $30 (for both). I certainly wouldn't try to make $$ in that business. They have not had their official opening yet, they want to work out the kinks first (controllers for one). All the folks there were very friendly and sociable, absolutely no complaints in that area. They have a lounge area in the store with a coke vending machine so when you want to take a break from shooting (and cool off too) you can.

I see them doing good business in the wintertime and ok in the summer but I think they'll be slow during the nice weather months.

I wish them the best, I like having options for both gun shops and ranges in the area.

Part 2:

They do have a few rental guns, price is $10 (I think) but you have to buy the ammo for that gun from them. They don't want reloads or cheap ammo used on their guns. They have ammo there, it's a little pricey, about on the order of Reloaders Bench ammo prices.

Partitions between shooters is very secure, however my neighbor who was shooting his .45, the spent brass was going over the top of the partition and down on me in my lane. Not a big deal but a little annoying. They have 2 shelves in front of the shooters for you to put your firearms and a bench behind you to keep your bags.

Location: From I-40 and SR70 heading northbound Briskin Lane is about 300 yds north of I-40. A little hard to see the road but it's the very first road on the left. The Gun Room range is right after the RR tracks, very well marked. If you get anywhere near the fairgrounds on 70 you've gone way too far.

Edited by motonut
Any idea what the name/ location of the range in Lebanon is? I have a HCP but I don't have a problem with a "no loaded guns" policy.

Yeah I know . . . belongs to Roger and Stan Baines,

THE GUN ROOM

705 Briskin Lane

Lebanon, TN

453-6030

Actually the easiest way is get off I-40 e at the Watertown B exit

Go under the interstate and take the first left

and look for the American Flag pole on Right.

ABSOLUTELY the BEST range I've ever seen, brand new and well equipped.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the Gun Room today just to check it out. Did not shoot but really looked the place over. Unloaded my gun as I entered. Spoke with Stan and his brother and they are both very nice guys, I wish them the best. They have invested quite a bit of money in this to be primarily a range with a few guns for sale in extremely nice custom cases.

Yes, the whole "unload your guns before entering" thing is a bit annoying for me, but it is what it is. I respect and understand Coop and the others that will not patron this place because of it, but I also see the problem the owners are faced with. I have never really thought about it before however Guns & Leather (has a range) seems to get around it just fine. Stan (the owner) told me it was for insurance reasons. We talked briefly about it and I'll bet in time, they will change their stance on this issue once they get "settled in".

The range was well lit and set up nicely, did appear to be warm but aren't they all?

The $20 range fee is a little steep but hey, I probably spend close to that driving to Greenbrier when I want to go to an indoor range. (G&L is still my favorite gun shop and will see me again and again).

Overall, I like the place and appreciate the investment these guys have made as well as their overall friendliness and attitudes. I will give them a try.

If you're in for a little competition there's a charity match scheduled for Sat. morning at the Lebanon indoor range. They've pitted Lebanon's finest against any civilian. 25 rnds, 25 yards best target gets a one year membership to the range. Any pistol is fine, you can even bring your sandbags. $30 entry fee day of match (was $20 for early sign up) proceeds go to Sherry's Run cancer charity.

They are kicking off early (8-9 am) with a shoot off at 11:30 am between the best three officers and best three civilians.

Bring it on LPD!!! We're gonna do some smack down!!

• 4 weeks later...
Indoor Shooting Academy 308 South Water Avenue, Gallatin, TN 37066-2907(615) 206-0063‎

The range seems to be older. I have never shot on it, but appears to be busy when I visit the gunsmith.

It is also home to The Complete Gun Shop which is a Gunsmith. Sam does excellent work.

Went to ISA this AM, I was the only one there on the range. Yes, it is a much older and no where as fancy as the Lebanon range. You hand crank your target out to the range you want it at, feet are marked on the center overhead and yds. are on the side walls. Goes out to (apx.) 20 yds. I think. Personally I have no problems hand cranking my target so it's not an issue for me.

Ventilation was fair to poor with just myself but I had to turn it on after I was there for a few min., it may be much better when it's been on for awhile, I don't know. Personally I don't think the ventilation system would be up to the task when the range is in full use for a few hours but I may be mistaken.

Sitting area with table and several chairs is just outside the range proper. By no means is it fancy but I'm not there to sit in fancy stuff.

$16 per day, $35 per mo. and $200 per yr. Full size targets are $1 each. I used 6 targets and shot 300 rds. this AM.

Overall I didn't mind it at all and I will go back. Since my schedule is very flexible I will most likely use this range during the week, I bet it gets quite crowded on the w/e.

Edited by motonut
Wished I knew you were going. I am home on leave this week.LOL

I think my neighbor wants to go to Stones River this Fri. He doesn't like indoor ranges.

I'll give a shout out when we set a time.

Guest Glock23ForMe
There is a sign on the door that says no loaded firearms aloud.

:eek:

I guess I'll have to tell my sidearm to be quiet... He always likes to crack jokes in gun stores... :shake:

:P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mitchel

I understand why some people here have a problem with the loaded weapon rule at The Gun Room. It doesn't bother me at all no matter the rationale. I have been there numerous times to practice and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is well thought out and clean. On top of that, the Baines and the other patrons have been very friendly each time I have been there.

back to the original topic: there is a range in Gallatin as posted previously, its attached to a pawn shop thats been in business for years, the gunsmith is knowlegable and helpful. the range is older with manual cable crank system and decent ventilation. there are rumors (I live in Gallatin) of an indoor shooting range that just opened up in Hendersonville on the main drag and also a SECOND Guns and Leather store opening in hendersonville. If time isnt an issue I would HIGHLY URGE you to visit Guns and Leather in Greenbriar...its 30 minutes from Gallatin and is state of the art...everything there is top notch and worth the drive. If you've never been there some of the salesguys seem...how do I put this...cocky...at first..but their not. they are extremely busy there and their not ignoring you...and they seem like no it alls...because they typicaly do(I'm just sayin)...my unbiased opinion. I have found that the more I go there the more I like dealing with them. If i'm buying a new gun or just going for a range trip...It's always the destination in my GPS. If the Hendersonville store is half what their Greenbriar store is, it's going to be the best / closest one around Gallatin.

Guest motonut

I posted my review of the Indoor Shooting Academy in Gallatin in post #38. I've been there 5 or 6 times since. I like the low key / no frills aspect of the range but I suspect it wouldn't be as enjoyable when it gets busy. Fortunately I can go during the weekday, only 1 time has there been anyone else there.