What's the word on AR-15 magazines?

shaftbass

I ordered a Bushmaster A3 M4 today, and of course the one magazine supplied isn't enough. I hope to slowly build my magazine store to 15-20 mags picking them up here and there, but what do I need to look for? I know that there are probably more than a few manufacturers out there, and I want to know what brands/characteristics I should be looking for.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shay VanVlymen

USGI aluminum magazines with green followers are fine. The MagPul enhanced followers are good if you want to get them.

I'd stay away from steel mags. The HK mags aren't worth the excessive price.

A quality G.I. or MagPul 30rd mag is just as reliable as a 20rd mag... Likewise, a cheap steel, black-follower 20rd mag can be just as un-reliable as a 30rd of the same quality.

The curved 20rd mags feed better than the straight ones (IMHO), and they are nice for shooting from a prone position... cheap too.

I've heard that Magpul is going to start producing a polymer magazine that is just about industructable. Some friends went to the shot show and talked with them. The price is right on them as well at about $15 and they are supposed to start making them in the very near future.

USGI magazines are what you need. I won't get into the followera since that's been covered.

Brownells has begun making USGI spec magazines and from what I hear they're performing well.

Make sure you get new magazines. And don't buy Orilites, Thermolds, or the steel SA80 magazines. If it's plastic or steel run away. This doesn't include the Magpul mags because they're not out yet so we don't know how they'll perform.