New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

So lets say the unthinkable happened and this thing passes and is signed off on by our worthless governer.

If a bar or restaurant leaves up the old sign, denoting the old law about no carry on the premise would you be legally able to carry?

Guest canynracer

here is why it wont pass:

SB0038 "requires local governments to be responsible for the payment of any judgment or award against them for all actual medical costs even if such costs exceed the applicable liability limits under the Governmental Tort Liability Act."

8 little words...the bill killer...hey, come to think of it...dont a lot of carry pistols carry 8 bullets?

Guest canynracer
So lets say the unthinkable happened and this thing passes and is signed off on by our worthless governer.

If a bar or restaurant leaves up the old sign, denoting the old law about no carry on the premise would you be legally able to carry?

I would assume that the sign would need to be the same sign every other business would need to post, the one that says "the OWNER of this business restricts handguns pursuant to (insert TN code here)"

or whatever the verbiage is...but it is handled like every other business...

now the good thing, olive garden, outback, and the major chains, will probably not post such things cause of the whole "owner" part...

locally owned resturaunts are a different story...

yeah, we will see if it passes. i hope it does but im not holding my breath. park carry needs to be addressed as well. its one molehill at a time though. then we can work on the mountain.

have to crawl before you can walk! or in this case load before you can drink 1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif

Guest db99wj

52% for to 33.6% against, or if you count the other two questions of somewhat agree and somwhat oppose you get 59.2% for to 39.4% against and 2% that don't have a clue but like to answer polls.

WJHL, in Johnson City, is doing a story about this on the 6 O'clock news tonight. They are doing an interview with restaurant workers.

There is also a poll on this at http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/home.html. Just a little box on the right side of the page.

"Do you think handgun permit holders should be allowed to carry a weapon in establishments that serve alcohol?" Right now, the numbers are 32% yes and 67% no. So, go vote!

Guest pws_smokeyjones
WJHL, in Johnson City, is doing a story about this on the 6 O'clock news tonight. They are doing an interview with restaurant workers.

There is also a poll on this at http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/home.html. Just a little box on the right side of the page.

"Do you think handgun permit holders should be allowed to carry a weapon in establishments that serve alcohol?" Right now, the numbers are 32% yes and 67% no. So, go vote!

The problem with this poll is that most non-gun people are going to assume that it means "do you want people with guns to be legally allowed to drink alchohol". there is nothing in the poll that separates the 'being in the establishment to eat" from "drinking alchohol" and so most people are going to say no to that - of course. They most likely don't understand the current laws and restrictions on CCW holders and most likely don't realize that it is already a crime for a person to comsume alchohol and carry a firearm outside of their own home.

Polls are fine and all but a better thing to do would be to contact your Senator at their office. I just got off the phone with Jamie Woodson's office and I urged her to vote for passage and said my vote for her in the future is dependent on her vote for passage of this bill.

If you live in the 6th district you can call Senator Woodson at 800-449-8366 x11648

If you do not know your district or know who your Senator is you can look it up here.

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/senate/members/smembers.htm#Find

I urge all of you to call and express your feelings.

And just in case polls matter or help I just put the two polls on a thread in High Road

SB0023 by Jackson S. JUD COMM.:

Recommended for passage - refer to: S. Cal. Comm. 1/8/2008 OUTCOME OF VOTE: Passed Ayes................................................8 Noes................................................1 Senators voting aye were: Beavers, Black, Jackson, Kyle, Norris, Stanley, Wilder, Woodson -- 8. Senators voting no were: Marrero B -- 1.