New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

Guest TargetShooter84

I do agree that it should be allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol because we shouldnt be discriminated against it because we know the responsibility that comes with possessing a handgun (all handgun permit classes teach that), but I honestly wouldnt mind it at all for it to pass as long as we do not drink alcoholic beverages if we are carrying a gun inside a restaurant that serves alcohol.

I dont know if you guys agree with this or not but I'm sure many of you have heard about the incident at Hooter's recently, that suspect would've been stopped right on the spot if the restaurant had allowed handguns inside its establishment instead of taking off while an innocent person died and another shot.

Guest dotsun
Polls are fine and all but a better thing to do would be to contact your Senator at their office. I just got off the phone with Jamie Woodson's office and I urged her to vote for passage and said my vote for her in the future is dependent on her vote for passage of this bill.

If you live in the 6th district you can call Senator Woodson at 800-449-8366 x11648

If you do not know your district or know who your Senator is you can look it up here.

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/senate/members/smembers.htm#Find

I urge all of you to call and express your feelings.

And just in case polls matter or help I just put the two polls on a thread in High Road

If I remember correctly, Jamie is definitely on our side in this debate. I heard her once on some weekend talk radio show last year discussing the same bills that were up for vote then, and she was a staunch advocate for them.

that suspect would've been stopped right on the spot if the restaurant had allowed handguns inside its establishment

That is a broad assumption, I will go ahead and assume that since only 3% of TN residents are HCP holders that no one in there would have been carrying anyway.

Dave, I saw the comittee votes and Woodson was on that comittee and voted to pass it out to the senate floor. She will get my vote next time she runs more than likely.

Has everyone called their senator yet?

anyone have the email they sent their rep? i don't want a "form letter", but want to make sure I haven't overlooked any important points. This is what i'm sending later today ...

Senator Crowe,

As a voting member of your district, I would like to inform you that I support the current bill that would allow Tennessee concealed carry holders to do so in establishments that serve alcohol. Under this bill, the establishment owner still retains the right to “post†their site to not allow concealed carry of firearms.

I feel, unfortunately, that this bill is being read by the common man and portrayed in the media as “concealed carry holders can drink and carry in restaurantsâ€, which obviously isn’t the case as it is a crime for someone to consume alcohol and carry a firearm outside of their home.

I urge you to consider this bill closely and enable your fellow Tennesseans the right to defend themselves in a very violent world.

anyone have the email they sent their rep? i don't want a "form letter", but want to make sure I haven't overlooked any important points. This is what i'm sending later today ...

This is what I sent:

Senator Roller,

Thank you for the dedication and service to the people of Tennessee. As a Coffee County constituent, I place in your hands my support for SB0023, so that you may effect it. As a TN HCP holder for the past 5 years, I want you to know that it is my sincere desire for those of us whom the State of TN trusts with this responsibility… to be more fully trusted. Just as a drivers’ license is documentation of the State’s confidence in a driver to operate a motor-vehicle to and from a restaurant which serves alcohol, provided they are sober, I believe that there should be equal confidence held for those of us who claim the right to self-defense, regardless of where we are, or what the person at the next table has purchased to drink. I would like to be able to take my wife to a nice restaurant without worrying that I have forgotten to disarm, or worse, to be powerless to defend myself from an armed assailant who has no reverence for any law. This legislation would also do away with the equally senseless restriction upon off-duty law-enforcement officers to disarm before entering such restaurants. It is only logical to support Senator Jackson’s bill, because as the law is written now, the only people who are prevented from possessing weapons are the people who respect and abide by the law to begin with.

Thank you for your time, and again for your service.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXX

Tullahoma, TN

(###) ###-####

Guest supergus

I did, although my letter wasn't quite so eloquent as molonlabetn's:( I did, however notice that my senator's community involvement includes the NRA, the Jeep Registry, the Farm Bureau, and several antique and vintage car clubs.:up:So he's o.k. in my book!

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I emailed my representatives as well as all of the members of the Judiciary committee. And like Supergus, my letter was not nearly as elegant as molonlabetn's - it did however get the point across as I received responses from 3 of the Senators. I know SB0023 has a slim chance of making it all the way and has been tried before, but eventually I think people will see the logic in it like many other states already have. What we have to do as gunowners is maintain the best attitude possible about it and continue providing input and feedback to our state legislators.

if the committees vote to send it to the floor, that Jimmy Naifeh will use his power to not allow it to come for a vote, don't you?

I for one am fully aware that this has somehwere between little and no chance of ever becoming a law. There is a possibility at any rate that it could pass in the senate, if I understand correctly. I can easily see King Jimmy squashing it in the house.

At best this will get a little notoriety amongst the public. Someday Naifeh will die or maybe even retire and when that happens the public might be accepting of a law of this type and it could be brought out again and then pass.

Some things start with baby steps.

Naifeh is the poster child for why term-limits are a good idea.

AMEN!!!!!

As Mike said...it has a decent chance of passing the senate, but the house is a different story.

With out side tracking things...I also would like to see the bill passed to allow motorcyclists to have a choice on wearing a helmet...ever session it passes the senate, but Naifeh is able to kill it one little sub-committee each time so far....and probably this year as well.. :D

I still say leave it to the restaurateur to decide if they want to allow firearms. I feel the same way about smoking.

Yep.....if the don't want guns, they can post a sign. On smoking, if enough people that don't like smoke stop comming they will ban it themselves, don't need a law.

As for helmets, well you motorcycle guys are all organ donors anyway so sure, take it off.

Of course I know you mean this with all the jest intended.... :D