New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

Guest Jason F.

Response from my Senator's office

January 11, 2008

Dear Jason,

My husband and I are NRA members so we understand your position. I will

make sure Senator Tracy receives your email, and we appreciate your

taking time to write us about this important issue.

Christina Barber

Asst. to State Senator Jim Tracy

304 War Memorial Bldg.

Nashville, TN 37243

Phone 615-741-1066 or 1-800-449-8366, ext. 1-1066

Fax 615-741-2255

Somewhat positive response in some ways I guess.

don't know what the assistant and her hubby belonging to the NRA has to do with the senator, reads like she was being pleasant. Better than being told to buzz off which was more or less what I was told one time when I called Nafieh's office about a gun bill.

Guest canynracer

anyone that works in a large corporate office knows that the assistants do all the work...they control the big wigs calendar and email box, they are the "Spam Filter"

what she is telling you is that she will make sure your email goes through the 30000000000 he probably gets because she agrees with your stance. I think it is a good thing. Nice job.

Guest Boomhower
This was only the vote in the Judicary committee. The bill will have to pass in all commitees before it is sent to the whole senate.

I'm still learning on this one. I've never watched a bill go all the way thru the senate before. I've only seen the beginning and the end result. However, I intend to see this one all the way thru. Still don't know what I'm reading, but I'll read it anyways. :mad:

I'm still learning on this one. I've never watched a bill go all the way thru the senate before. I've only seen the beginning and the end result. However, I intend to see this one all the way thru. Still don't know what I'm reading, but I'll read it anyways. :mad:

It's been a learning process for me over the last few years.

I don't have a problem with bills being sent to committee for their opinion and recomedation, but I don't like the fact that 95% of the whole senate or house could approve a bill, but a small group of 5 could kill it in any committee. :D

Guest canynracer

better yet, how long does it take, when are they going to the next voting step, and how can we watch it??? LOL...I have no Idea how this works...

Guest canynracer

LMFAO...you know the sad thing...it actually helped!!!

now, does this bill have to go to the white house, and does the president have to sign it, it is a state thing...or does it just go through nashville??

Guest Boomhower
LMFAO...you know the sad thing...it actually helped!!!

And it's also sad that I remember watching that at some point and time in my young childhood life at school. Aww, the memories...:)

Thanks for the re-cap Dave.....But my question still stands. Is there only one committee that this bill has to travel thru? What are these small committee's called that brain storm before the House or the Senate sees the bill?

What is the total process? How many committee's does one bill have to go through?

See this page for the process in TN.

Here is graphic flow chart of the process.

better yet, how long does it take, when are they going to the next voting step, and how can we watch it??? LOL...I have no Idea how this works...

You can follow the process of this bill at this page.

The next action for it is scheduled for Monday the 14th.

It's really sad that government schools don't do a better job of teaching us this stuff, but then I guess it's better if the peasants aren't too informed.

Thank you Fallguy. You saved me a lot of typing.

I don't recall if it was another restaurant carry bill or another gun matter, but making it to the House floor doesn't mean the matter will be voted on. A couple (?) of years ago a matter made it through a Senate vote and House committees, but the House Speaker just ignored House rules and refused to allow a vote.

I had hoped this would irritate enough Democrats for them to elect someone else Speaker. But they showed no integrity and voted Naifeh back in.

NP Mars..

Seems like I remember that too. I seem to recall the sponosor of the bill trying to get Naifeh to allow a vote on it and Naifeh going on an on about a bunch of stuff. I think his (Naifeh) main thing was, "How would servers know who was armed and who wasn't?" I guess so they wouldn't serve alcohol to those that were armed. I don't think it is up to the servers to have to worry about it. Goes back to showing a little trust in those of use that have taken the time to got a HCP and don't want to take the risk of losing it.

At least that is what I told my Rep.... :)

TENNESSEE: Senate Bill 23, authored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25), will be heard by the full Senate on Wednesday, January 16. SB23 allows a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm in a place where alcohol is served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. Please contact your State Senator toll-free today at (800) 449-8366 and respectfully urge him or her to support this important piece of self-defense legislation.

It has been amended (or proposed, can't tell for sure) to add the "an establishment that derives at least fifty percent (50%) of its annual income from the sale of food;" provision.

To me, the only problem with that as opposed to less than 50% from alcohol are places (besides bars) that serve alcohol on site consumption but do not primarly serve food.

One place I am thinking of is the sports arenas and the such. I'm sure that alcohol is less than 50% of their annual income, but I doubt that food is at least 50% of the income.