Anyone had jury duty in Shelby County?

kb4ns

It's been a long time coming and they finally found me. I got a summons for jury duty in the mail today. Unless I get lucky enough to draw a civil suit, I don't think any defense attorney in their right mind would want a cop on their client's jury. Anyways, I have to report to the Cook Convention Center in a couple of weeks. Anybody know how jury duty (the selection process) goes here in Shelby County?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

You will probably have to go down each day, in the morning, hang out, if you are called, like you said, you would probably be dismissed, but still will have to show up each day until told not to come back. I've heard people say they were told not to come back after the Wed. session.

I got sequestered on a Gangsta disciple murder trial, and they said I couldn't be called for 10 years. It was a very interesting process and I actually enjoyed it. Lots of waiting around.

I actually wouldn't mind the experience of sitting on a jury. It's having to go downtown and sit around for hours on end that doesn't appeal to me! :D

The date I have to report is on a Friday. I assume I'll be told a certain week to come back?

Guest jackdm3

Mine was for the city of Memphis. We met at the Coliseum to get our dates, and then had to go downtown on the assigned week. 300 to 500 of us sat in a big room until we were called to the actual courtrooms. They called me in on Tuesday for a gangsta on trial for stealing a car at Memphis State (Yeah, I said it!). They asked me if I had ever had anything stolen. My bike when I was 14. "You're excused." Day 2 out of 5. Thought it was gonna be a long time till Friday (last day of duty)! Wednesday they finally came in a little after lunch and said we were free from city duty for 10 years. Buuuuuuuttttt they said the county could get me anytime (SPIT!). They paid like 5 bucks a day which only covered parking fees.

Sent from my PC using Clickity-Clack.

You sure you didn't get the summons from the county (for state jury duty) and that you could be called for Federal service? Anything that's going to be a jury trial (like the vehicle theft) can only be handled on the state level (criminal court in the county of the offense). Municipal courts like Memphis only hear misdemeanors with a judge presiding.

I had jury duty here a few years ago. When I went, we met at the coliseum. Basically the meeting there was: A guy got up and stated the reasons you can get out of jury duty. There aren't very many. We were told, "If you don't qualify due to one of these reasons, DO NOT come down here." Then after that was over, they told us to come down to get our jury card. I went down front and was given a card with a date on it. Then, on the date listed, I showed up downtown at the Shelby County building.

Each morning we sat in a meeting room until called. I was called on about Wednesday. You are called along with about 30 people. You go across the street to whichever courtroom and sit in the court room during the voir dire (is that spelled right?) process. If you are called for that jury, you stay. If not, you go back into the jury selection pool. In my case, I was dismissed from that particular jury because someone in my family had been involved in something similar and the lawyer said I would have too much of a preconceived notion about the case.

After being dismissed, I went back across the street to the waiting area. On Thursday morning, we were told they had filled all the jury positions for the week and we could go home.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I got Jury Duty in my home county of Washington for May. I proved I was a Full-Time Student at MTSU and they said that they would push it back until January. Normally, they just say not to come back. IDK. I don't know if I want to do it or not. I don't even live close to there anymore.

Guest jackdm3

kb, I don't really remember all the divisions. It was just like Robbie's tour of duty. So the county jurors go to the Cook? You most definately know more than I regarding city/county/state.

Sent from my PC using Clickity-Clack.

Guest Jeremey

I got called once. Went to the Cook Convention Center, got a card with a date. Went to court and sat in a room with ALOT of people with absolutely nothing to do, better take a book or something. I actually got called within 2 hours on Monday, and was selected for the jury. I sat on a civil case where a woman was suing a retail tire store that is no longer in business in Memphis. Apparently it was the second time it went to trial and we were not allowed to know the outcome of the first one. My fellow jury members had no interest in the matter and just wanted it to be over and get back to work. I on the other hand was 19, and was getting paid from my employer so I didn't care how long it took. I found it very interesting. I wonder why I have never been called again?

I wonder why I have never been called again?

My understanding is that the names are supposed to be chosen completely random by a computer program. Some folks will get called all the time, over and over again, while others may not ever be called.

kb, I don't really remember all the divisions. It was just like Robbie's tour of duty. So the county jurors go to the Cook? You most definately know more than I regarding city/county/state.

I think it used to be the Coliseum, but they now use the Cook.

Guest db99wj

Hmm, I went to a building, I think where the election committee is, across the street from 201 Poplar. We were sequestered in a high rise hotel downtown, one person per room. Food was great, they fed us very well.

A while back a girlfriend called someone and pointed that neither she nor her roommate had ever been on jury duty.

They were both called for Grand Jury duty for 1 year...

At the time Larry Parrish (sp?) was the prosecuting attorney. These 2 nice girls were inditing people because

they liked Larry's suit way more than the other guy's!

I haven't had ANY trust in the judicial system since......

Guest nozzle13

I've had jury duty in memphis, we started at the coliseum to get a date, and then went to 201 on the date we got. I got selected the first day. The defense attorney asked me a bunch of questions, and then was good with me. Then the judge asked me, some questions, cause me being a fireman. He said you know there are a couple trials going on now involving firemen. Fred, and another one can't remember which one at the moment. Anyhoo, he asked me if I had a problem being on a jury. I told him I would really like to be on Fred's trial, (like to see him get the chair), but had no problem being impartial for the one we were talking about. He said good, and I got selected. The judge didn't intervene on anyone else.

To make the long story short, I found it very interesting.

If it wasn't for me the guy would of got off. We had one hold out, and everyone was finally gonna just side with her, but I laid it out, and she got the point. It got pretty heated for a few minutes. Anyways, we convicted him. I wish I new how much time he got. When we were finished, the judge talked to us. Cool guy. He said we made the right decision. The fellow we convicted was with his brother when he did his robbery, and while they were out on bail, his brother killed a fella. They still had an upcoming trial on that deal. The chick that felt he shouldn't be guilty felt like a real dumb ass after that.

I had it last year. Went to the Cook, got a card with a date, couple months later I went by 201 and sat in a room for about 2 hours, got called to a civil suit case, got dismissed (pit bull bite case, needless to say they did NOT want a hospital security officer with some medical background and friends with pit bulls on the jury lol), court deputy told us "see ya in 10 years". I was done by 130 pm on my first day. Maybe you'll be as lucky!

I was done by 130 pm on my first day. Maybe you'll be as lucky!

I really hope so. Many states (and the federal gov't) have laws against LEOs serving on jury duty. It'd be nice if TN would do the same and save me and the attorneys the waste of time. :shrug:

Guest jackdm3

Just remembered. The attorneys asked lots of questions of each juror and the judge didn't ask much. Got to me and they asked a few as well as what my occupation was. At the time I was a blacksmithing automotive spring mechanic. Then the judge got interested. Asked me which size springs? What are those pads at the end of the springs for? What are the plastic inserts in the middle of the springs for? I'll tell ya. The more he and I talked, the more everyone around me seemed to disappear. Like the attorneys were looking at us with, "OK. Can we continue judge?!" Totally surreal.

Just remembered. The attorneys asked lots of questions of each juror and the judge didn't ask much. Got to me and they asked a few as well as what my occupation was. At the time I was a blacksmithing automotive spring mechanic. Then the judge got interested. Asked me which size springs? What are those pads at the end of the springs for? What are the plastic inserts in the middle of the springs for? I'll tell ya. The more he and I talked, the more everyone around me seemed to disappear. Like the attorneys were looking at us with, "OK. Can we continue judge?!" Totally surreal.

So did you get picked for a jury, or did you get "sprung"? :shrug:

Got it last year, but got out of it. Didn't really want to get out of it, but had a vaction planned and didn't want an extended trial Fing it up. I got out of it because it was my third time in 10 years. Otherwise, I would have been all over it. Your Friday appointment at the Cook is so Clyde Carson can lecture you about your civic duty. Then, you pick a week to serve, probably in September. During your chosen week, you will sit in a large waiting room. Bring your own entertainment. If you like to sit and read and be left alone, you will love jury duty. You can come and go (in and out of the room), talk on your phone, drink coke, etc. If Carson enters the room, it is because some judge needs jurors, and Carson will call 20 or 30 names for prospective jurors. If you are selected for a trial, you are free to go when that trial is finished. If you are not selected, you go back to your book in the big room until Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, when Carson comes in and thanks you for your service. Piece of advice--at the Cook, sit on the extreme left or extreme right sides--this will enable you to quickly get in line when the week you want is coming up. It will make more sense when you go.

I got called for Federal jury duty a few months back. It was a habitual criminal with gun and drug charges. I got questioned by the judge, prosecutor and defense. The judge had a good personality and made me feel at ease. I got dismissed when they asked about gun ownership and law enforcement background. They wanted details about the types of guns and how long I had carried. I don't think the defense wanted me because I had worked as a MP and county CO. I think the prosecutor dropped me because I came off as being TOO gun friendly. I was disappointed because it seemed like the trail was going to be very interesting.

I don't know if I have been lucky or unfortunate to not have been selected for jury duty.

Now my luck my HCP with show up with a summons for jury duty attached for saying this.

Back to back years my parents both got called to Jury duty and both had to serve.

It was kinda hard as Mom does not drive and the court house was a 40 mile drive from where they lived.

First Dad was up, and at the time Claiborne Co herded everyone into the court room and drew names for the jury pools.

Then toward the end, he was drawing for the grand jury and the very last name he drew he said and the Foreman will be, called out dad's name.

Sitting there, dad just said Sh*t. One, he does not like to speak in public and he is not a fan of the legal system, plus he didn't like the judge at all.

The next year, Mom had to serve on a case where a person went into a VFW(in short that didn't belong there) and attacked a Vet in a wheel chair and another vet defended him by hitting the attacker with a pool stick over the back or head. I don't full details.

The attacker had a law suit, I guess civil against the man that defended they guy in the wheel chair. If it wasn't for Mom and about 3 others, she said the others on the jury wanted to give go against the guy that defended his friend. I am glad to know it turned out right for him.

They joked I would be called the next year, but I think that was they year I moved.

Where I work, they have a policy, if a person gets jury duty, they in short don't want you to use work as an excuse to get out of it.

I think voting is what keeps you in the jury selection process right?