Visiting from Az & it's BBQ time!! Nashville/Knoxville sugestions.

Guest Lathe guy

Guest Lathe guy

Hi everybody!

We (wife & I) will be visiting 8-5 thru 8-14 flying into Nashville heading to Norris Lake then back to Nashville for one night.

I 'm looking for BBQ joint in both places (the must eat here kind) and what would be a good thing to do in Nashville on a Friday night?

Also is there a decent river boat cruise in Knoxville?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only river boat outfit we still have is:

Tennessee Riverboat Company | Knoxville Tennessee | Knoxville Cruises | Knoxville Boat

Not sure if they run all the ones scheduled or not, if they haven't booked at group, says must have 20 before they go.

Knoxville has BBQ everywhere, but a real dearth of definitive "must go" places. The place I like the best I only get grub to go, I don't really want to eat in house :)

Couple others like that in the rough part of town, not recommended for normal social graces, though.

Real shortage of funky hole in the wall great BBQ joints, at least ones you'd feel safe eating in, armed or not. :)

Fairly new place on Sutherland near me (and a mile off the interstate) is Dead End BBQ. I've eaten there once, not bad at all.

Dead End BBQ - Knoxville, TN

Write up and review:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/10/dead-end-bbq.html

We also have an area chain called Buddy's. Started out small years ago, over several counties now.

Buddy's Bar-B-Q

Not bad, but again not something you'd write home about.

Since you mentioned the river, there's Calhoun's, right near the Riverboat landing.

It's a nice looking restaurant, food pretty good, again not perhaps definitive cuisine or anything, but nice place.

Knoxville Catering | Knoxville Banquet Rooms | Knoxville Prime Rib | Knoxville Ribs | Knoxville BBQ | Knoxville Bar B Q | Knoxville Barbque | Knoxville Seafood | Knoxville Wings | Knoxville Calhouns

Big ass place, pleasant decor, view of the river.

enjoy your stay

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Blue Moon BarBQ in Hendersonville. It is just north of Nashville. Live music on the weekends. I'd suggest the Friday Night Opry or a cruise on the General Jackson for entertainment. Maybe catch a Nashville Sounds game if they are in town.

The only good thing to ever come out of Knoxville is I-40.:)

Knoxville never decided what it wanted to be when it grew up.

I think of it as the Incognito City.

Not sure we would be bigger than Murville without the Multiversity of Tennersee.

Throwing that thar World's Fahr seemed to rock our "scruffy little city" back on its heels for about 20 years.

:) Sounds like Memphis...

That's actually our motto:

"At least we're not Memphis and we mostly beat Vandy"

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
The only good thing to ever come out of Knoxville is I-40.:)

Which is it? Bama fan or Gators fan? :)

As far as the BBQ. Jacks is good in Nashville. There is one downtown on Broadway and one just north of town on Trinity Lane.

Edited by Jasongar8
Also is there a decent river boat cruise in Knoxville?

Me and the wifey have taken a cruise before at the place OhShoot linked you to. It was real nice.

Calhoun's on the river is right next to the landing where the river boat is docked, dinner then a cruise makes for a real nice evening. I recommend it.

Guest 6.8 AR

Jack's on Trinity Lane, like Jasongar said. Atmosphere ain't much

but you ought to like the food. The place is packed for weekday

lunch time. Enjoy your stay!

Guest bkelm18
If you're willing to deviate from your route just a bit, you should try Captain Tom's Barbecue in Oak Ridge. It's well worth the little bit out of the way. :up:

Capt. Tom's is good stuff. The stuff he puts out on his billboard by the road is reason enough to eat there.

Is there any bad BBQ? I love it all. I grew up across the street from OTT's and mowed the yard there when I was a kid. I was happy to see it reopen after all these years and it still as good now as then. My wife is from Fla. so we also like Sunny's and Capt Toms. is also good.

If you're willing to deviate from your route just a bit, you should try Captain Tom's Barbecue in Oak Ridge. It's well worth the little bit out of the way. :D

If you are deviating from your route, come on down to the armpit of the state (Memphis) and we can introduce you to some real BBQ.

But seiously, sounds like these guys have put you on a good path.

Guest Lathe guy
What part of norris lake are you visiting. We have a house on the upper end in campbell county.

As far as good BBQ I would try vernons bar and grill. Its only a few miles off I-40

Near

JIM LEE RIDGE RD. Follow to E. Dogwood Trail

Guest Glock23ForMe

If you're looking for a "Nashville Experience" and since you're staying in Nashville for one night, GO TO THE OPRY, if you like country music. Tickets are like 58 bucks and its the best thing ever. As far as BBQ, Jack's on Broadway is really good, like amazing.

Guest Bluemax

Several good Cue joints in Knoxville, My two favorites are Dixon's because they have the sauce from the infamous, now defunct Brother Jack's; followed 2nd by Scruggs. Neither is a place you would want to eat in, just get your grub and if it's dark get the hell back in your car and lock the doors. As far as eating in, it's hard to beat Calhouns or Deadend