Help: Mrs D3vo needs an EDC.

Ladies I need your help.

Mrs D3vo is not a forum member (yet). ;)

Mrs D3vo is looking for her first carry revolver.

She is partial to the wheel guns. :screwy:

Does anyone EDC a revolver? What is it? Why do you like it?

If you could have your pick of revolver what would it be?

I hope to get a list to present, rent a few and let her pick her first EDC.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 442 and love it. The concealed hammer is nice for pocket carry.....it doesn't get snagged on anything and you can shoot through your pocket if needed without worrying about the hammer getting caught up in your clothing.

I've also had two Taurus 85's, one was a Titanium with a ported barrel and the other was an Ultra-Lite. The Ultra-Lites are a couple ounces heavier than the Titaniums and about $200 cheaper......other than that, they were very much alike as far as accuracy and trigger pull. I did like the ported barrel on the Titanium though. It seemed to have much less muzzle rise and you could get back on target quicker.....but I love all ported guns. As convenient as a concealed hammer revolver is, having a hammer to cock when you want to is nice as well. If you're in a hurry, you don't have to cock the hammer......but if you're just target practicing or shooting for fun, cocking the hammer gives you that hair trigger that will improve your accuracy greatly.......which makes shooting much more gratifying!

As far as quality goes between Taurus and S&W.......I can honestly say that I could not tell one bit of difference. I think the Taurus revolvers are just as nicely made as the S&W's and are a great value. As far as exposed vs. concealed hammer goes.....I think that's a matter of personal choice really. If you're wife likes to shoot for fun as well as carry for self defense, then I say go with a hammer. If this will be purely for self defense and she'll just be shooting it enough to familiarise herself with the weapon, then I'd go with a concealed hammer.

Another revolver to consider is the Ruger LCR. I have no personal experience with these, but from everything I hear, they are sweet! Supposedly the DA trigger is about as smooth and crisp as they get out of the box, and they're nice and light too.....although a bit on the ugly side. :bs:

One thing for sure I can tell you is to go lightweight! No steel frame revolvers for carrying purposes....especially for the ladies! If it's too heavy, she won't like carrying it. You'll have a better chance of getting her to carry it on her person (vs. in her purse) if it's nice and light.

Hope that helps some. Let us know what you wind up getting for her and tell Mrs. D3vo that I hope to see her on here soon! :D

Does anyone EDC a revolver? What is it? Why do you like it?

If you could have your pick of revolver what would it be?

I hope to get a list to present, rent a few and let her pick her first EDC.

I'm a big fan of the .38 Special revolver for pocket carry. Mine is a S&W 642-2, which is a steel version of the common 642/ 442. With the factory grips, my revolver is actually a pleasant range gun. While it weighs a bit more than the AirWeight versions, the trade off in shooting comfort has been worth it to me.

Best of luck!

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

My wife had a LCR and did not like the snappy recoil. It was hard for her to control. This may be silly question has Mrs. D3vo shot wheel gun vs semi-auto? Currently my wife's carry gun is a Glock 26.

Let her be the one to choose. I have already been through getting the wife a gun thing.

Good luck.

Is her preference for wheel guns based on handling or shooting?

My wife shot my PT145 and didn't like the recoil. She handled an Airweight at Gander Mtn and loved it, so we rented one at the range. After 5 rounds, she turned to me and said... "I'd rather shoot your .45 than this thing." I agreed. I've shot several larger revolvers and really liked them. While the recoil was decidedly snappy, I think the muzzle blast bothered her more.

I've heard so many people complain about the recoil of the lightweight snubbies.......but I just can't understand it myself. I'm a woman and I have arthritis in my hands, and I have no problems at all with shooting the airweights or ultra-lites. The regular non +p loads are a breeze to shoot and the +p are a bit snappier, but still tolerable. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Even my mom has a 442 and she's 79 with severe arthritis in her hands. I bought her some low recoil Federal Nyclads and she can shoot it with no problem. The low recoil .38 loads are great for anyone that might have a problem with the regular loads.

For target practicing, it might be a good idea to get your wife some good padded shooting gloves. That will help absorb some of the recoil and keep her hands from getting sore. If she (or anyone else) ever has to shoot in a real life situation, believe me, the adrenalin will absorb every bit of the recoil! :D

I appreciate the discussion. :D

Everyone has brought forward good questions and can't wait for Mrs. D3vo to read the thread.

Pistol vs. Revolver?

I mentioned that to Mrs. D3vo and I am not sure she knows why she is revolver focused. Seems most the ladies are carrying pistols based on other threads I have read.

I would never recommend a semi auto pistol to a novice shooter....male or female. I believe that you need to have plenty experience with shooting a revolver before making the leap to a semi auto. Then, after you get your first semi auto, you need to know it up one side and down the other and get plenty range time with it.......and definitely know how to clear a jam. You need to know how to remedy anything that might go wrong with it like it's second nature. Semi autos just have too many things that can go wrong on you - and usually at the worst of times.

Revolvers are the best guns to start out with. They are pretty much fail safe. You pull the trigger - the gun goes bang. You don't even have to keep them well oiled and/or clean.....they'll just work when you need them to. They're simple - no safety, no slide stop, no mag release, no decocker, etc. - nothing to get a novice confused.

I'll probably get some flak over this, but IMHO, beginning shooters should never start with a semi auto - period. I would advise anyone to get a couple years and a couple thousand rounds under your belt before you get your first semi-auto. Then get at least a thousand more with your new pistol before you carry it.

I've heard so many people complain about the recoil of the lightweight snubbies.......

I'd guess you have stronger hands than a lot of women. While I thought the recoil was snappy, my main complaint was the DAO trigger. After about 10 rds I needed a winch to pull it. Could have been specific to that pistol. Mrs.Peej had a blister forming in the web between her thumb and forefinger. I assume it came from her inability to keep the gun stable in her hand during recoil. Other revolvers I've shot have been fine, that's the only Airweight I've ever shot. I understand these are purely a defensive gun and in no way intended to be a fun plinker, so it serves it's purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. D3vo held both the S&W 642 and the LCR and the LCR won out because it was 2oz lighter. We planned to purchase the LCR real soon.

So with that in mind I started researching a good method of carry. I looked for hours to find a good IWB that supported the LCR w/ the Crimson Trace.

Every forum or product review I found said the LCR is a great pocket gun, but couldn't find a lot related to IWB or OWB.

I am not a fan of pocket carry because IMHO it violates a major rule of gun safety. "Treat the gun as if it's loaded and point in a safe direction".

Well it's loaded and its most likely pointed down you leg at me sitting in the restaurant booth across from you.

I found a photo on the web showing a LCR w/ Crimson Trace holstered in an IWB and didn't like what I saw.

This photo caught my attention due to the amount of trigger exposed. I looked closer and it appears the LCR cannot sit any lower due to placement of the Crimson Trace laser.

hn8.JPG

So I started comparing the 642 and LCR laser placement. The 642's CT laser appears to be located further back as not to expose the trigger.

4229271574_ae2a43c607_o.jpg

lg405.jpg

I think we are moving back in the direction of the S&W. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hmmmm. Well, they do make some good pocket holsters that provide a safe way to carry in your pocket. However, I think I would go with a good IWB myself. Unless your a man that wears pants with big front pockets, then pocket carry is a bit uncomfortable.

If that 2 oz. was the deciding factor in going with the LCR, and she does plan on carrying the gun IWB, then let me say that she will not feel the 2 oz. difference when carrying IWB. 2 oz. is not much, especially when the weight is in a good IWB holster.

I would recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck or Kholster because they're depth and cant adjustable; and M-Tac makes a neutral cant holster that's made especially for appendix carry that would probably be good for her as well. I LOVE my Supertuck first and foremost, with Kholster coming in a very close second. I looked at the Crossbreed website and they don't list a Supertuck for the LCR with a crimson trace grip. They do list the LCR though. If I were you, I'd contact them and see if they could make one to fit the LCR with the CT grips.

If she wants a nice all leather IWB, I'd just check around and ask some of the good custom holster makers if they can make one to fit. I'm sure that you can get one made.

Another way to go would be asking this question in a Ruger forum, or maybe even calling up Ruger and see if they have a IWB holster recommendation for the LCR with CT grips.

Like I said though, if you haven't purchased it already, the 2 oz. difference with the S&W's is not going to be noticable for her. Especially in a good holster, with a good gun belt. Please do make sure that you get a nice stiff gun belt for her, and get the holster clips or loops to match the width of the belt exactly so it doesn't move around. I have a 1.5" K&D leather gun belt and it's awesome. I carry my KelTec P11 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, or my G27 in a Kholster most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs. D3vo got her HCP in the mail on Thursday. Her Smith 642CT (Crimson Trace) and High Noon Split Decision holster arrived today. The only issue we have to resolve is the laser is out of alignment and the hex wrench that should have been in the case was not.

I want to thank everyone for their input. ;)

642CT.jpg

642CTH.jpg

?action=view&current=642CT.jpg?action=view&current=642CT.jpg

I've carried a S&W 638 Airweight for nearly 9 years now. Fits in my pocket, adequate penetration. I've added Crimson Trace laser grips to it and I carry 158 gr. LSWCHP +P.

My wife shoots it just fine, but feels it's too big for her to conceal.

The holster is a High Noon Split Decision IWB.

Split Decision

Ahhh, I see. It almost looked like a pocket holster without the clip in the picture. Let us know how she likes it. I tried a High Noon Bare Asset IWB for my Glock and I didn't like it at all. It just rode too high for me. I like my gun to sit deep into my pants with just the grip above the beltline. I was with my cousin over the Labor Day weekend who was a LA Sheriff's deputy for almost 20 years and also worked a few years as a US Marshall before retiring early due to health problems. I was wearing my Supertuck with my P11 at one o'clock with a loose t-shirt over it. I asked him to see if he could "make" me. He had no idea that I was even carrying, much less where. :popcorn: