ARMS 18 Scope Mount for my M1A... Oh yeah!!

Over the years, I have been so sick of that old gen3 M1A scope mount that I finally give it away to a bud. Now... I get to see what all the rave is about an ARMS 18 mount. All kinds of good stuff written about it holding zero forever and the fact it's got a see-thru channel to use the irons if you quick detach the scope or have peep rings. We'll know soon as I got my delivery today!!

Well, I have say when you open the bag, it looks small and unimpressive. After removing the stripper guide, I placed the ARMS 18 on the M1A and was no less than impressed with how it felt, looked AND fit. "Wow" does not begin to express my feelings. I truly expected a fitting session because of several comments I read about SA receivers being not quite to GI spec. Look at it... don't you think it looks as if it belongs? I like it, so far.

MVC-111Z.jpg

Here's a view of the see-thru channel. Works just fine as I'm able to clearly see the front post with no obstruction, at all.

MVC-119Z.jpg

Only downer so far is my quick detach GG&G scope mount is not compatible with this mount. It will fit backwards but the disconnect lever crowds my ejection path so I gotta do something different for rings. Do any of you have a favorite QD 30mm ring??

Please sound off!! I'll be ordering something soon as I wanta see how it does with some glass on it.

SmokyBaer :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my play money from the last couple of gun sells and ordered a Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M2 turrents and a Ballistic Drop Compensator in it. A lot of scope for a knock around scabbard gun like this old Scout. Will be able to use it on most any rifle so I went for it. Expecting delivery by early next week. It'd be cool if I get it for the weekend. :shake:

Still up in the air over the perfect 30mm rings to strap that scope onto the ARMS 18 mount. Looks like a LOT of the internet posters are quite pleased with their ARMS #22 Throw Lever QD rings. Since this will be primarily a scope gun, I want it as low as possible. When it's scabbard time on the 4-wheeler, I can just detach the scope and hit the whoopty doos like usual. Any thoughts on ring height to clear the peep??

Learned a neat trick on the M14TFL site that I'd like to share. Way too simple but once I got the scope in, it is precise. You can get the scope positioned perfectly to know ring height and distance from the eye.

My math said use the medium rings but the Bubba tape enabled getting the scope's variable ring past the peep. Low rings will fit nicely there, I hope, cause that's what I just ordered. :D

Check it out!!

MVC-139X.jpg

MVC-142X.jpg

MVC-143X.jpg

Another good tip I learned was replacing the original big headed screw on the front of the ARMS mount. It interferes with the handgaurd. Here's the set screw replacement that works real nice. If you set yours up like mine, the handgaurd does not hit this.

MVC-134Z.jpg

MVC-138X.jpg

Thanks!! Yea, those guys on M14TFL are full of knowledge. Truly some expert info there. I'll be posting all my results of this install... good, bad or ugly, it is what it is.

Still have some parts coming in before I get to test. Lo rings, M14 extractor and a shim kit for my front band. The scope mount does not require using the shims but I'm gonna tighten it up before I go shootin.

m14man, you should let us know how your ARMS install is going. Maybe we can pick up some tips from what you get working. :up:

I've got the same setup Arms 18 with 22 rings I belive mine are the mediums. Its a solid set up I Have removed the scope several times and the zero has held so far. I had read awhile back that that there were some problems with the 22 rings breaking and Larue tactical was replacing them with their rings free of charge for some reason. I think swan and larue had some kinda problem with each other at the time. I've never had any problems with mine loosening up or holding a zero.

TNrifleman,

Do you have a pic of your setup?? I'm really interested how much clearance you have over the peep. Also, how far back you brought the scope in the rings. Ya'know center the knobs versus moving it rearward for closer eye relief. Just wondering where your sweet spot ended up being.

Oh yeah... is yours an M1A and are you running a M14 extractor to clear the spent brass or just factory??

Edited by SmokyBaer
I dont have a pic but I'll measure the clearence for you. I have the scope pushed as far forward as i could get it. The extractor is factory. I also put a adjustable gas plug on it.

A measurement would do just fine. Thanks!!

and yeah... I read about those variable gas plugs today. Those actually do work, eh?

Ok there's only about a 1/8th inch between the scope and rear sight. Mine has the NM rear sight so im not sure if there is a height difference in the standard. I dont think the low rings will work unless you move the scope to the rear aways. I put the adj gas plug in to shoot heavier bullets ie the 175's and up. The heavy loads are hard on your op rod. Its not needed if your just going to shoot ball ammo. You can adjust it though to just eject the casings right out next to you. Good luck they are fun to shoot.

Ok there's only about a 1/8th inch between the scope and rear sight. Mine has the NM rear sight so im not sure if there is a height difference in the standard. I dont think the low rings will work unless you move the scope to the rear aways. I put the adj gas plug in to shoot heavier bullets ie the 175's and up. The heavy loads are hard on your op rod. Its not needed if your just going to shoot ball ammo. You can adjust it though to just eject the casings right out next to you. Good luck they are fun to shoot.

I'm not sure on the sight either but mine is not hooded. I did have to pull my scope a ways back to get my eye relief about centered on 8 power. Maybe it will clear the vari ring and be on the tube. My parts should start coming in by the end of the week so we'll soon see. Hey Thanks for the measure. I been a little nervous on the order. Gonna suck if they don't fit. I will post the pics as I fit the rings and also the M14 extractor I've been told to install on my Scout for the brass to clear the low mount.

On the adj gas plug... maybe I don't need that cause I'm mostly a fan of 150-168 grainers. In fact, my new Leupy's BDC is calibrated to 168s. Thanks for the feedback on it's purpose. Saved me some money I can put on ammo!!

Thanks guys!

I just got an SA scout and was wondering about optics!

You are in the same boat I was in. Didn't know what I wanted and could not find info on what I liked. When we get done snappin' photos of this setup, at least you will get an idea how it looks and shoots. Got a couple other things to do to it too. Shim the front band and clearance the hand gaurd. May glue it too... later.

My pusher said to put a scout scope on the rail mid barrel and use my SASS for longer shots.

You won't hear any disagreement with me... the previous Scout I was setting up had a scout scope on the barrel rail and I was almost done with it when I decided to sell a bunch of stuff. That rifle was unfired and had NIB value so it went pretty quick. It was a pretty cool setup but a bit front heavy. Almost went that way on this one but found the ARMS and wanted to try that.

Here's a crosshair view of that Leupold scout scope...

ScoutSquadwLeupold25IER-03.jpg

Got my ARMS 22 Low rings in and they fit snug BUT... had to drop my peep sight down 4 clicks. Not really too big a deal as long as I remember to click it back up if I jack the scope off for some reason or another. Looks great and feels right.

Guess I do have plenty room to slide the scope back a 1/2" and run my peep back up but right now my eye relief is near perfect as it is. Still requires more of a chin weld than a proper cheek weld for a steady view thru the scope. May get one of those add on plastic cheek risers with the thumb nuts. Seen them around but don't know what they are just yet.

Anyways... here's the clearance of a Leupold M4 2.5-8x36 illuminated reticle on an ARMS 18 M1A mount with ARMS 22 Low rings...

0811001540.jpg

Before I go to the range, I'll be swapping out to a G.I. extractor and spring.

Good deal i'm glad the low rings worked out for you. I know what your talking about cheek weld, mine is in a mcmillan a5 stock with the adjustable cheek piece they are nice. My scout is like your saying its more of a chin weld to see through the scope.

Guest gcrookston

I started with a Brookfield and #22 rings for my Mk4. Though satisfactory, there was room for improvement. After some experimentation I ended up with a #18 and Mk4 rings, removing the NM rear sight apeture. For a cheek rest I opted for one sold by Fulton. I've had it in it's current setup for about 10 years now.

DSC00152.jpg

rings.jpg

dsc001071jp2.jpg

Okay... got my extractor in and went to work swapping it out with the factory Springer stuff. Couldn't help but notice how dry my old parts were coming out. I guess under fire the oil and grease gets vaporized.

Also, swapped out the ejector and springs for GI parts. Even put in some fired brass to check extraction. Wow, it really flings it now! Anxious to get to the range and see what kinda groups it will produce with this whole new setup AND how reliable the extraction is going to be.

Here's the new GI extractor with the old Springer one. Check out the subtle differences in the cut for the rim and the shaft that pokes in to capture the ejector and firing pin. Looks bigger but it isn't.

MVC-150X.jpg

Guest gcrookston
Must be a satisfying shooter or you would not have kept it for that long. :D

I've been happy...

dsc00133sv2-1.jpg

Edited by gcrookston