Wanted: 10/22 youth stock

valv6

I need a 10/22 youth stock so my nephew can shoot one of my 10/22s. Just a plain black synthetic stock is what i am looking for. I have looked on midway and they are sold out. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things were the deciding factor for the Archangel stock. First was my dealer had a used one in real good condition and second was it looks meaner. I will post pics soon.

No new posts so here is the pic:

DSC07413.jpg

That is a tear drop 50 round mag in the weapon.

Edited by Desert Rat
add pic

The only drawback to the Archangel stock, at least the ones I have seen, is you can't use a heavy barrel, if that is any concerne. The Blackhawk has the adjustable butt stock and can use any diameter barrel. Or, you can be a cheap SOB like me and just cut off about 3" of the original stock and make up a new but plate.

The Blackhawk is less and I would have gone that way if the one I ended up with was not available. Also a heavy barrel defeats the weight issue for a 5 year old. Cuting the stoch was not an option as growth of a young person is a happening thing so I think the rifle needs the ability to grow also. Even if it is only 4.25 for LOP and 6 inches for vertical fore grip. By the time she grows out of this she will be ready for an EBR or even one of my BLRs in 308

Weight was the biggest factor in why I went with the Blackhawk, because the Archangel was heavier than what I wanted for this particular rifle. I'm not sure, but I think you can still use the .920 barrels with the Archangel but you can't use the part that goes on the muzzle. Either way, I went with an ultralight .920 size barrel on this one as well that is also lighter than the factory barrel. I haven't put them on the scales yet, but without the bi-pod I think this rifle weighs less than my Glock 22.

Now That is light. For me the timing was right when I stopped by the Pusher because he had recently got the modified 10-22 in. I picked it up and thought it "Felt" right so bought it. The kids are moving here within the next few months so I will see then if I was correct.

Now That is light. For me the timing was right when I stopped by the Pusher because he had recently got the modified 10-22 in. I picked it up and thought it "Felt" right so bought it. The kids are moving here within the next few months so I will see then if I was correct.

Yours has a look that I'm sure they will enjoy. If the opening in the hand guard is big enough for the .920 size barrels and you decide you want to shave a little weight, look into one of the chromo lined aluminum barrels. The only things I've seen mentioned about that size barrel not fitting is that you can't use the muzzle part.

I can reduce weight by removing the optic and using iron sights also which would probably be a better learning tool. This is a starter weapon that I expect her to grow out of in a few years and advance to 5.7, 556, 308 eventually. Or maybe even a 9 mm carbine which I already have.

By "kids" I was referring to the young one's parents who are in their 40s! ;). Late life baby. The older sister graduates from High School next year.

One never grows out of a .22 like these, that's why the adjustable stock is the best option IMO. Advance to larger calibers...... yes.......but completely grow out of wanting to plink with a .22....no. Heck, I'm 32 years old and have several different caliber rifles to choose from, and even though I did build this gun partially with my nephews in mind, this baby is still for me. ;)

I no longer "plink" being close to twice your age I specifically bought this for the Granddaughter and will shoot to test the scope or if I convert it back to iron sites to site those in. My "Plinking is watching soda bottles explode when hit with a 5.7 round or hearing a 5.56 or 7.62 hit steel at 1 to 200 yards. I recently bought reactive targets to plink with my 45s at pistol distances. Of course I call that practice rather than "Plinking" because that sounds like I am doing something constructive. ;)

If I did get a 22 for my use it would be a Nylon66 as that is the first rifle I shot during my teens and what I owned in the 70s.

Edited by Desert Rat
I no longer "plink" being close to twice your age I specifically bought this for the Granddaughter and will shoot to test the scope or if I convert it back to iron sites to site those in. My "Plinking is watching soda bottles explode when hit with a 5.7 round or hearing a 5.56 or 7.62 hit steel at 1 to 200 yards. I recently bought reactive targets to plink with my 45s at pistol distances. Of course I call that practice rather than "Plinking" because that sounds like I am doing something constructive. :up:

If I did get a 22 for my use it would be a Nylon66 as that is the first rifle I shot during my teens and what I owned in the 70s.

I hear ya on the larger calibers, but here lately my father and I have really gotten into the rimfire shooting. Personally I find it alot more challenging, because we push the limits of .22's more than what would really be considered "plinking". We run through several rounds throughout the year in the larger calibers, but considering we shoot at least a couple hundred rounds almost every weekend the costs of only using larger calibers is more than what I'm willing to pay. Actually it's not even so much the cost, as it is the fact that I have a bad addiction to ammo and start to get nervous if my supply numbers start getting low.