You can't buy a SBR stripped lower anymore apparently? According to Spikes Tactical..

Went to order three SBR stripped lowers for some guys and the NFA guy at Spike's (Ross) said that the ATF doesn't allow the sale of SBR lowers anymore, that they have to be sold as complete rifles.

He also said that basically the FFL sells a stripped standard lower to a customer, and they do the paperwork for registering it as a SBR. Also that the customer no longer has to engrave their name & city/state on the lower.

This flies in the face of everything I have ever dealt with and he couldn't e-mail me the letter/ruling/whatever from ATF stating this. He said this has been in place for a little over a year now.

Time for some research, but thought I would pass this along and I will update when I find out something for sure.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent heard of them changing anything. I dont see why they would care how you get an SBR as long as the paperwork is done and they get the $200. I will see if I can find anything.

I haven't heard any of what he said either. The only change to lowers were for Title I in that they had to be listed as a receiver only for transfer purposes.

In fact I just renewed by SOT last month and did not receive any kind of update about it.

I also never received anything about NFA anything in the last year or so.

He said I could call NFA branch and they could confirm it.

Think I will do that tomorrow...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The rules have been this way for over a year now maybe longer.

If your CIII dealer wanted to build it for you they can and transfer it to you. You can form 1 it after buying the lower. You will be guessing some info that others can give you a good idea about, Overall length for example.

Good luck,