Indoor range shooting... respiratory risk?

Guest wTiger

By far the indoor range with the best filtration system I have shot at was Guncraft (now Coal Creek Armory)in Knoxville.By far the worst is Carter's in Chattanooga.They have NO system,only a small heat pump.That was one of the many reasons I stopped having weekly matches there.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
That really isn't that much of a problem unless you are young and/or want to have kids. Lead does nasty things to DNA in sperm. Just thought you might need to take that into consideration.

hey, that's a helluva lot cheaper than a vasectomy:D:D:D

I can hear it now, "hey, honey...since we already have a kid, how about buying a bunch of ammo instead of paying for a vasectomy? hell, we might even be able to get insurance to cover it.":p

edit: wow, click a link to similar threads and i end up bringing one back from the dead without realizing it....:rock:

Edited by fizik
Your in Nashville, so just a small drive for you would be to Guns and Leather in Greenbrier. That shooting range has some type of hepa filtration system that seems to work very well. I never smell the smoke, and it's only $10 to shoot all day.

+1

I totally agree; shot there weekend before last; it was GREAT!

• 2 months later...
Guest wordsworth
Your in Nashville, so just a small drive for you would be to Guns and Leather in Greenbrier. That shooting range has some type of hepa filtration system that seems to work very well. I never smell the smoke, and it's only $10 to shoot all day.

That's a great price- I'm gonna check that place out soon, but how much money would you spend in ammo for all day shooting? Could run you into hundreds of dollars. Hey, we could beat the system and shoot one round every 15 minutes. I'm finding out that practicing is starting to cost a lot.

The EPA has enacted design requirements on new outdoor ranges to control airborne lead. The Rutherford County Sheriff's department is working on their own range and part of project was designed to control airborne lead as well as the solids. The engineers I spoke with were referring to the "new EPA requirements". If I can get further details I will post them.

• 10 months later...

I have gone shooting with both reloads and all copper cheapy stuff and can tell you that with the reloads there is a HUGE difference in the amount of lead you take home with you. With reloads, my thumbs were almost silver with lead from loading mags and my hands were covered in lead dust and powder. Of course, the powder in the reloads burned a little too dirty for my taste but it was all that was available. In hind-sight, I could have avoided most of the grunge by wearing gloves.

So does Uselton Arms in Franklin.

It's been a few years maybe 10 since I built an indoor range in Houston Texas called Top Gun.If I remember right we had to have 4 100% air changes per hour in the range area.Every 15 minutes the air circulated was completely exhausted and replaced.

Its probobly more dangerous to inhale the fumes in 5 o clock traffic

• 1 month later...
Guest Fltargetmaster

Indoor ranges may pose a risk for lead and other toxic metals. No matter what the air handling systdem or filtration system, the risk is there. If I have to shoot at an indoor range, I do wear a mask and leave as soon as I can. Easiest solution IMHO is to use an outdoor range. A little cold now though.... Lead is one toxic mutha

Guest parris001
So does Uselton Arms in Franklin.

But compare Uselton's range fees to Guns and Leather. There's no comparison. I live in Franklin, but you won't find me at Uselton Arms.

When is Rick going to get his head out of his a**?

Lead is a heavy metal, and there are no biological mechanisms for removing lead from your body. That means the lead that you inhaled shooting as a child is still in your body, and the miniscule amounts of lead that you inhale while shooting for a couple of hours will over time cumulatively affect your body. Lead poisoning can lead to mental instability and sterility, among other things.

Not that shooting is the only source of lead in your body: the average American alive today has 200x more lead in their bones than a Native American who lived 2 centuries ago, simply from the lead now present in the environment. You can blame a lot of that on the wonderful leaded gasolines that dominated fuel pumps for decades and leaded paint. You can dig up vintage advertisements trying to convince people that lead is good for you, just like the advertisements that tried to tell you that cigarettes are good for you.