Another Jeep issue, need some advice.

Guest db99wj

The 99WJ has 105K miles on her and back at the end of 2006 I replaced the axle shafts, replaced the transfer case (NP247) had the transmission services (dropped the pan and cleaned with one of the kits)

The problems:

Vibration from front end at around 35mph, not there before, not there after

I can go over a significant rise in the road like in an intersection or over a railroad track and I get a front end vibration (the body rises and the extends the springs and shocks)

I get a clunk with a slip, when I stop and when I release the brake to accelerate. No slipping or clunking when changing gears (automatic)

RPM's seem to be running around 1700 at 40 to 45mph on flat roads, can't remember where it is suppose to be, thought it should go lower, might be over

analyzing things because of the other stuff going on.

Things that I can think of, fluid issue (friction modifier for TC and wrong fluid in transmission), transmission needs to be reflashed because of the work, front differential issue......:eek:

Is my thinking correct, what other things could it be, any suggestions?

99 WJ, QTII, 4.7L, BFG AT's 245/75 16's, 2"BB

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

030400 - INTERMITTENT BUMP FELT AFTER VEHICLE HAS COME TO A FULL STOP

Date: 06/23/00 (supersedes 030799 dated 10/29/99)

Model year(s): 1999-2000

Description: A condition may exist where the vehicles owner may feel an intermittent bump (stop-bump) once the vehicle is brought to a full stop. The repair technician may erroneously diagnose this condition as a delayed transmission down shift into first gear. This condition may occur 3 to 20 seconds following the stop or when the load on the rear driveline is reduced (e.g., when the applied brake pressure is decreased). The stop-bump condition may be the result of a binding between the splined surfaces of the rear propeller shaft slip yoke and the rear output shaft of either the transfer case or the transmission. As load on the driveline is reduced, the bound slip yoke will release suddenly causing a bump-like sensation. The condition may be intermittent. If the above condition has been experienced, then perform the Repair Procedure. The splined surfaces on the slip yoke section of the new propeller shaft are nickel coated to reduce the opportunity of binding.

Details: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE SEPTEMBER 20,1999. A WJ EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE, A NV242 TRANSFER CASE, AND A 198 RBI (M35) REAR AXLE USES A DIFFERENT STYLE REAR PROPELLER SHAFT THAN THOSE WHICH ARE ADDRESSED IN THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR THIS VEHICLE, THE SPLINED SURFACES ON THE PROPELLER SHAFT SLIP YOKE AND THE TRANSFER CASE OUTPUT SHAFT ARE GREASED TO PREVENT A BINDING CONDITION AND DO NOT REQUIRE REPLACEMENT. Parts required:

52099484AD Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x2 / 42RE / 198 RBI – M35)

52099485AE Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x4 / 42RE / NV247 / 198 RBI – M35)

52099486AC Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x2 / 45RFE / 226 RBA – M44)

52099487AC Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x4 / 45RFE / NV247 / 226 RBA –M44)

52111483AB Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x4 / 42RE / NV247 / 226 RBA – M44)

52111490AB Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x4 / 45RFE / NV242HD / 226 RBA – M44)

The vibration issue... That could be any number of things, from a bad front propellor-shaft CV joint, to an engine hesitation (does it go away when coasting?). Does it vibrate again at 70mph? If so, the front prop-shaft may be 180 degrees out. A couple of these possibilities lead me to believe that these problems are related, and are the result of something wrong with your front prop-shaft installation.

May want to get somebody to ride with you or check it. Good luck.

Molon, dude..you're muh hero!! Nice call.

being a cherokee owner, I pay attention to the powerplant/transmission issues because as far as I know, all jeeps inbetween 89 and 99 have the same engine and tranny..I dont know if thats erroneous or not..

but I've owned 2 cherokees so far and they've been great..with the same setups..

The TSB above has been done on mine, by the way, I have the 4.7L V8 and the NV247.

It has to be something between the TC and Transmission, that is the only two things that changed when the work was done. On the transmission, he ordered a kit, and did the service on it. I'm leaning toward an issue with the TC, which sucks, because the first one they put in, leaked, they pulled the whole TC and replaced it with another one. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and see what he says.

By the way, if you have a Grand Cherokee and want everything you always wanted to know about a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 99-04 models, got to WJJeeps.com