What's your longest handgun shot?

roverboy

220 yds. on steel chicken silhouettes with 7mm TCU, contender, 10 & 14" bbl. with iron sights.

Tannerite 1/2 lb. bottle at 100 yd w .223 contender, 6x scope

pigeon, 75ft. in top of a tree with .44 Remington brass frame cap & ball revolver off 8th Ave. in downtown Nashville, man I was proud of that shot- best shot I've ever made.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

The range I shoot at has a good sized rock at about 215-225 yards depending on whom you ask. A lot of us plink at it with all kinds of guns. When it has been dry, you can walk shots into it by watching the dust fly and adjusting your aim. Not really too big a trick, it looks more impressive than it is because of the dust and chunks of limestone that fly off. Not sure how big the rock is, several feet square at any rate.

I can walk a Ruger Mk II or Kimber Rimfire in with enough rounds and a spotter, my GP-100 6" is deadly on it. My G20 holds my personal record, 10 out of 10 hits. Not on the first round, or even the first mag of the day though! It took me about 10 rounds to walk it in and get my hold right. Then the 10mm Glock just made gravel out of it. And I had a guy on a spotting scope that witnessed it. I've hit it with .357 SIG and 9mm Glocks as well. It honestly isn't too hard with a caliber that makes some dust, you just walk the shots in, and its a pretty big target.

On an "honest" shot, I hit a little plastic toy elephant kind of thing with a Kimber Rimfire Target at 50 yards offhand. I don't remember how many rounds, I know I got it with less than a full-magazine though. I found it and threw it in my shooting bag as a good luck charm! It's still in there. Please don't ask me to do it again, I couldn't even see it at 50 yards now!

Actually, long range shooting with a quality revolver and a little practice is really not that hard. I am rusty but if you can see where the bullets are landing you can kentucky windage them right on target. Elmer Keith is the father of more than the 44. Try it sometimes, you might like it. BTW, those old Keith loads work really well for those long shots too.

Right, Its not all that hard with a gun you shot a lot. I don't shoot handguns as much as I used to, but if you can see where your hittin', its a lot easier. I used to hit gallon jugs at 100 a lot. I would aim at the lid and hit the jug in the middle.

I hit a couple of 8 inch metal plates at about 200 or so yards once with a Sig 226 in 9mm I think. I won't tell you how many shots I fired. I'll just say I hit a couple of 8 inch plates.

penitus via plures, baby!

Edited by robbiev
Guest achingass

200 yards at a steel plate about the size of a pizza box..... g17 115 fmj. note: did not adjust for anything,held sights dead on. two of use did it with two different glocks.

• 1 year later...
Guest dboonekilledabearhere

100 Yards...shot a coke bottle off the top of a 4" x4" post. Ruger MKIII Hunter. GREAT HANDGUN!!!

Edited by dboonekilledabearhere

125 yards half silhoutte steel, using a Taurus 85 .38. Ranged the first shot, then hit the next 4. This was at the place I got my carry permit in Dover, TN back in '04. I had a good coach tell me how to do it. Impractical but fun and a confidence builder.

Edited by graycrait

........and almost a year and 1/2 later this thread lives!!!!

Well since the last time I posted, I've done much better than what I posted prior.

Longest shot was last summer at 125yrds with a tricked out G17 shooting bowling pins. Took 14 shots to knock down 5 pins..........with a few tries I can knock down a bowling pin at 60 yards with my G26.....

92 yards freehand one-handed with my kimber 1911 shooting handloads at a 10"x10" steel plate. I actually have that shot on video for proof. I shoot that same plate at 100yds two-handed quite a bit. Ive never tried any distance greater than that but I guess I need to!

I was wondering what was everybodys longest shot with a handgun? I'm not saying just on game but targets too. What did you shoot and caliber? My longest was 350 yards with a Ruger Security Six .357 and 158 gr. cast handloads. I hit a 55 gallon drum. Not on the first shot either. I think it took me about 4 shots until I heard the gong.

200 yards with my kel tec 223 plr 16, bench rested with a scope. That is the fartherest range have access to easily, so I have not had a chance to take it any farther --- I am sure it would do quite a bit more.

My 'best' so far with a handgun was multiple shots on a good-sized paper target at 100 yards with my 6.5 inch Heritage Rough Rider. I had the WMR cylinder in it and was shooting 40 grain Winchester Super X rounds. The shots were made standing, offhand (I don't shoot from a rest very much - I am not very good at it.) I mostly decided to try it as a lark but when I noticed I'd actually managed to at least hit paper a couple of times with the first cylinder full, I decided to try and 'dial in' to see what I could do. This was a day with no wind at the Spring Creek outdoor shooting range. I was a little winded by the time I shot the final cylinder full because we didn't have a spotting scope, etc. so I was walking all the way out to look at the target between each cylinder full shot. I couldn't believe I actually ended up doing as well as I did. I took a picture of the target and later put in 'color coded' circles around each hole in the target and a 'legend' explaining the colors. Here is the picture:

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Edited by JAB
Guest jkb4c

My best shot thus far was a coke can at 65 yards, with a springfield GI champion, on the first shot. You guys have inspired me to go out and get into the triple digit yardage now....

50 yards 8x10 crosstie plate hung as a plinker with xd40. Never tried my 1911 and am much more accurate with it than I am xd.

458 yards hit a fire extinguisher( according to gps) with weatherby vanguard 30-06.

This is NOT my story, but a fellow USAF cop once made a 70 yard shot with his Beretta M-9, hitting a BG right between the eyes.

http://www.historyli...fm&file_id=8767

Actually he fired 4 shots, missing twice, and hitting the guy in the shoulder before the fatal shot between the eyes.

This is NOT my story, but a fellow USAF cop once made a 70 yard shot with his Beretta M-9, hitting a BG right between the eyes.

http://www.historyli...fm&file_id=8767

Actually he fired 4 shots, missing twice, and hitting the guy in the shoulder before the fatal shot between the eyes.

The Airman eventually left the Air Force and went to work for the Border Patrol. Last that I heard he was a marksmanship trainer for Dept. of Homeland Security.