WHATS THE BEST .22 SEMIAUTO

Guest ADAM

My dad is wanting to buy a .22 semi auto for target shooting. Whats the best semi, he doesnt want to spend a fortune but wants a reliable easy to clean gun. So please help opinions.

Edited by ADAM
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like even the forum shows replays.

Really, this thread will render no answers for you. You will have people swear by nearly each one on the market for whatever reason.

My opinion; I have a Ruger mkIII. It is the only semi auto 22 i have owned. I have shot many others. I really like the Ruger, and it has treated me well. I am sure at some point along the way I will own something else, but as of now, I am perfectly happy with all of my Rugers.

Guest Drewsett

Love my stainless MkII.

Easy to clean: yes and no

It doesn't really need more than a bore cleaning after shooting, but if you are a glutton for punishment like me and like to field-strip all your guns to clean them, prepare yourself for a whole lot of cursing the first time you try to put it back together. After the first time it's much easier. I can get it back together quicker than I can get it apart now.

Guest cheez

I have owned about a dozen semi auto 22's and the best I have owned or even shot is the keeper that I have now. Ruger MK II 22/45. Totally reliable and deadly accurate.

Guest 10mm4me

Walther P22 is a good, well-made pistol. I have about 2,00rds through mine now & have never had a single issue. I quit cleaning about 400rds ago and it is running like a champ.

Guest Orionsic

Ruger Mark II Competition Side Slab. Its about $350 used and it is just as accurate as almost any high end pistol. Its reliable and forgiving. Its widely known that the most used pistol in that price range will be a Ruger MKII.

Smith & Wesson Model 41 holds that title.

It's the Hammerli 280.

Guest gcrookston

I have owned both the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22. On a scale of 1 to 10, they both get about a 3 in my book with a rating of "utilitarian". The "best .22", as the question was originally phrased, without going into the rarefied air of the Olympic quality pistols is/was the 2nd generation Colt Match Target. Fit, Finish, Balance, Accuracy, Reliability. Used ones in excellent condition are still occasionally to be found in the $800-1,000 range. I prefer the 6" over the 4". Tied for first, in my book, is the Hammerli Trailside Target, with a strong nod to the S&W 41 (although I wouldn't buy one newer than a Bangor Punta gun - certainly not anything out of S&W in the last 15 years). Ruger Marks and Browning Bucks are also good pistols and I wouldn't hesitate to have either in my camping or plinking kit.

Copy3ofdsc000039mb.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

I have owned both the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22. On a scale of 1 to 10, they both get about a 3 in my book with a rating of "utilitarian". The "best .22", as the question was originally phrased, without going into the rarefied air of the Olympic quality pistols is/was the 2nd generation Colt Match Target. Fit, Finish, Balance, Accuracy, Reliability. Used ones in excellent condition are still occasionally to be found in the $800-1,000 range. I prefer the 6" over the 4". Tied for first, in my book, is the Hammerli Trailside Target, with a strong nod to the S&W 41 (although I wouldn't buy one newer than a Bangor Punta gun - certainly not anything out of S&W in the last 15 years). Ruger Marks and Browning Bucks are also good pistols and I wouldn't hesitate to have either in my camping or plinking kit.

Copy3ofdsc000039mb.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

*Drool*

For range use, Beretta Neos. Cheap, reliable, and easy to clean. Mags are crazy cheap as well.

Mine has become a lemon.

Gotta get it in to Beretta first of the week. If they don't pay shipping, I'll be really pissed.

- OS

Catastrophic failure?

Naw..

Been "misfiring" off and on ever since I got it in June, like slipping off sear or something, then always drops firing pin okay on next pull. Doesn't seem to be the in battery nub thingie, although could be part of the prob, dunno. And yeah, releasing all the way, it still does it. Oddly, never does it with rapid fire or dry fire. Sear area is one place I can't get to without undoing a critical special flathead screw that I'm just not gonna tackle.

Been meaning to see about sending it off, and suddenly mag release mechanism totally failed, can't get mag out. Can't get grip off either. I mean, finally did, with mini screwdriver down inside frame, but wound up sticking one back in to send it in locked up to show them.

Looks like Monday before I can get in touch. Service procedure is confusing on site, seems they want you to pick a regional center or something, guess will call main place in MD.

- OS

I try to find a new "what's the best .22" thread to read every week or so on one gun board or another. There are some great old debates and many new ones too. Some go back 7 or 8 years and the same 2 get the most nods when price is factored in, the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mark II (or any Mark for that matter). These 2 have stood the test of time and are in the same price range new or used ($350 +/-). In most of the threads I've read there a LOT of fans of both and their owners have mutual respect for one another.

I have a Mark II with the bull barrell and it's a real tack driver, but I hold no bias against the Buckmark. You cannot go wrong with either, since they are steel and rugged as a tank. The weight of these 2 steel beauties is a big part of why anybody can shoot them well. Both will still be running when you teach your grandkids how to shoot.