WHATS THE BEST .22 SEMIAUTO

Guest ADAM

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Ruger MKIII 22/45 and Its a great pistol . Having shot a buckmark recently I think the buckmark has a slightly better trigger out of the box .I am plenty satisfied enough with my Ruger . Its more accurate than I can ever hope to be . It will be getting optics put on it this fall. You cannot beat the accuracy and reliability for the money out of either .

Guest rockbottom12

Smith 22a will not get a nod from me. owned two a serial apart, and both are junk. wife loves hers, but i think it is more of a "this is my gun" type of thing. cause all it is good for is practicing clearing jams. even after trip to hq

I own a few Hi Standard .22. I have bought some used between 250-325. These are some excellent pistols for the money.

The Trailslide from SIG/Sauer is actually made by Hammerli and can be found used for around 400.00.

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the Mark II Slabside very much. Buckmark looks very likeable as well.

Have read some reviews of CZ Cadet and the Cadet Slide kit on CZ 75/85. The reviews seem very enthusiastic about reliability and accuracy. But either a Cadet or the Cadet slide/barrel/mag kit look relatively expensive options unless there is a discounting dealer somewhere. A couple of web stores seem to charge about the same as CZ for the Cadet slide kit, around $400.

Guest gcrookston
I own a few Hi Standard .22. I have bought some used between 250-325. These are some excellent pistols for the money.

The Trailslide from SIG/Sauer is actually made by Hammerli and can be found used for around 400.00.

I also like the Hi Standard. My favorite is the HD Military. SIG spun off Hammerli several years ago. The sole US importer for Hammerli is now Larry's guns.

If money is no object get a Walther GSP. If Americana status is your game then get a S&W 41. If good plinking is your game then get a Ruger MKII or III or look hard and find a S&W 2206 or 6" 422 or 6" 622. I have have or have had 7 Ruger MKIIs/IIIs, about that many S&W 422s, a S&W 22A, shot several S&W 41s, have had other semi auto .22s and have shot some Euro match .22s. I work on Rugers and S&Ws. It is really easy to take a Ruger MKII to the next level. The Ruger MKIII is little bit harder. I have an unnatural affection towards S&W 6" 422s.

Craig in Clarksville

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the replies the ruger II and sig mosquito is whats hes been looking at.

I've got both, and MUCH prefer the Ruger. Why?

(1) The Ruger has a much better trigger out of the box, and can be easily upgraded with with mail-order parts. The Mosquito's pull is too heavy, too long, and too spongy, and I am not aware of any aftermarket triggers for it.

(2) The Ruger--or at least MY Rugers (2 of them)--have fed, fired, and extracted nearly every round of every flavor of ammo they've been fed (except for CCI CB Longs and shot shells--but...duh!). The Mosquito has been a more finicky eater, loving the CCI Mini-Mags, but choking on some cheaper types of ammo.

(3) This may be a function of trigger pull, but I score far more bullseyes with the Ruger than the Mosquito.

(4) The Rugers are built like tanks. I have no doubt that my Rugers will still be excellent shooters long after the Mosquito gives up.

(5) There's a lot more aftermarket love for the Rugers, as far as triggers, sights, and (for some models) grips go.

(6) Many Rugers are drilled and tapped for scopes. Don't think it's currently possible to mount a scope on the Mosquito.

(7) The round, fixed bull barrel of some Rugers is easier to attach a home-made suppressor to, after you've filed the proper BATFE forms and paid the $200 tax.

I have a newer P-22 (3.5" model) with about 700 rds through it. Never had any problems with it using CCI Mini-Mags. And those are the two main problems with the P-22. You need a newer one where they fixed some of the bugs of the earlier design, and you usually have to feed it pricier ammo. It helps to do some more tweaking on your own even on the new ones. $6.75 for a 100 pack of mini-mags at the Wally World isn't going to break the bank, but it's still more than the 550 count Federal bulk pack for around $12. I also find the sites difficult to use. There's a lot of room between the rear dots to get the front dot centered. I'm ashamed to say that I can only get 8 out of 10 on average on a standard round splatter target at 50 ft, but I've seen 3" to 4" groupings at that distance from a much better shooter than me using my gun. So I know it's me and not the gun. If you don't mind feeding it higher priced ammo, and you're willing to accept some "character" in your gun, the P-22 is a fun one to shoot. It's also a great gun for introducing someone to the semi-auto world because it looks and functions like most large caliber semi-autos. I wouldn't make it my first choice for a target competition gun, but I do like it.

As stated earlier, it's also easy to add a suppresor. The barrel is already threaded.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a newer P-22 (3.5" model) with about 700 rds through it. Never had any problems with it using CCI Mini-Mags. And those are the two main problems with the P-22. You need a newer one where they fixed some of the bugs of the earlier design, and you usually have to feed it pricier ammo. It helps to do some more tweaking on your own even on the new ones. $6.75 for a 100 pack of mini-mags at the Wally World isn't going to break the bank, but it's still more than the 550 count Federal bulk pack for around $12. I also find the sites difficult to use. There's a lot of room between the rear dots to get the front dot centered. I'm ashamed to say that I can only get 8 out of 10 on average on a standard round splatter target at 50 ft, but I've seen 3" to 4" groupings at that distance from a much better shooter than me using my gun. So I know it's me and not the gun. If you don't mind feeding it higher priced ammo, and you're willing to accept some "character" in your gun, the P-22 is a fun one to shoot. It's also a great gun for introducing someone to the semi-auto world because it looks and functions like most large caliber semi-autos. I wouldn't make it my first choice for a target competition gun, but I do like it.

As stated earlier, it's also easy to add a suppresor. The barrel is already threaded.

After reading this thread and some others I got a P22 for my wife. She loves it so much I found a deal in one and got one for myself. :rolleyes: I have not shot it yet but look forward to it. I might even step up and get the longer target barrel if I like it well enough.

I think any of the Ruger MK's, 22/45 or the Browning Buckmark are the best .22 out now under $500. The Rugers have more aftermarket parts, but i think the Buckmark is easier to deal with.

I have a Browning Buckmark Camper. It is the most accurate gun i have, always goes bang, feeds all ammo, no FTEs, easy to clean, etc. My 10 year old girl loves it.

Guest jimothy

Not that I have fired that many .22 pistols but I have a nice little Walter P22 I got a bit ago and it may be one of my best guns period.... Def the cheapest to fire at the range, it takes the cheapest stuff wal-mart sells without a jam... Expect to pay around $375-400 ish range, PLUS they have a long barrel also!

Once my Walther p22 broke in and I upgraded to only CCI minimags, it became very reliable and fun to shoot. Prior to that, it was a pain and I wanted to sell it every week.

I've asked around on several websites, including here, about the difference in the P-22 short and long barrel. Everyone says go with the short one. The 5" barrel doesn't add any accuracy according to the responses I've seen. Of course every shooter is different, so YMMV.

And +1 on the P-22 for fun.

Anyone with (or considering) a P-22 should read a great writeup from a guy going by the name 1917-1911M. His discoveries about the internals of this gun have resulted in some of the modifications made at the factory.

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

I think the Rugers are well made and make great 22's for fun or training. You can also do a lot of mods to make them even better. As for best, well then you really get into some interesting and expensive stuff. Among the best are the old Colts, the old High Standard (the new High Standards made since the mid 80's are crap) were among the most elite 22 shooters among competitive shooting.