WHATS THE BEST .22 SEMIAUTO

Guest ADAM

Back in February I got a Walther P22 and the hubby bought a Sig Mosquito for himself. We've been to the range maybe once a month and each time would blast through no less than 300-400 rounds. My P22 has performed like a champ each time. We started them with range ammo (CCI Blazers). They both did well with them so we bought a bulk pack of the same ammo. Towards the end of the box, the mosquito started having issues with misfeeds. Keep in mind, both guns are thoroughly cleaned after EVERY trip to the range. Hubby was thinking maybe it was the lead bullets causing his problems so he purchased a bulk pack of some sort of Federal hollow points (Walmart I think). The Walther ate through it's portion and some of the Mosquito's since it kept hanging... hubby found it worked a little better with a less-than-full magazine, but frequently had the gun fail to cycle fully after shooting. Picked up a box of CCI Mini Mags (once we found them.. dang those things sell out quick!) and he had the same problem. I am currently working on demolishing another bulk pack... Remington hollow points this time. These are the only rounds my Walther has had issue with. Shot 200 of them Sunday and had 4 misfeeds. ... Hubby's Sig.. He shot 4 rounds and had to put it back in the case. A pin came out from behind his trigger. Going to have to send it back to Sig.

I were talking and (sorta) laughing about it on the way home that day... everybody had cautioned us against the Walther and said the Sig was a better gun. Hubby says now that if someone were to walk up and offer to trade him a P22 for his Mosquito, he'd tear their hand off trying to get the P22 out of it. Very disappointed in the Sig.

Looked up the warranty info.. seems we have to ship the gun to Sig PREPAID... ugh. Looks like we'll be taking up the local gunsmith on his offer to ship it for us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest to steer clear of the Sig Mosquito. The one I've shot is very picky on ammo (supposedly only likes higher velocity). However, it was pretty much a jam machine with whatever we ran through it. My Smith & Wesson 422 had no issues using the same batches of ammo. Of the .22 handguns currently made, I'd go with the Ruger MKIII.

I'd vote the P22 as well with the previous caveats mentioned (newer/better ammo). That being said, a friend who used to compete, says he sees no difference in the two barrels at short range, but at longer ranges (25yds) the longer barrel gives him better groupings.

The P22 also makes it easy to switch back and forth to its bigger brother, the PK380 (if you happen to own both).

Guest The Highlander

Ruger Mk II or Mk III. Too many variations to list, all kinds of accessories available, inexpensive to buy, will not wear out. My Mk II Target has over 100 thousand rounds through it in 25 years. No, it isn't as accurate as it was 25 years ago, but neither is my eyesight.

Browning Buckmark would be my second choice.

SIG/Hammerli Trailside if you can find one. NOT the SIG Mosquito.

But the Rugers are king.

I try to find a new "what's the best .22" thread to read every week or so on one gun board or another. There are some great old debates and many new ones too. Some go back 7 or 8 years and the same 2 get the most nods when price is factored in, the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mark II (or any Mark for that matter). These 2 have stood the test of time and are in the same price range new or used ($350 +/-). In most of the threads I've read there a LOT of fans of both and their owners have mutual respect for one another.

I have a Mark II with the bull barrell and it's a real tack driver, but I hold no bias against the Buckmark. You cannot go wrong with either, since they are steel and rugged as a tank. The weight of these 2 steel beauties is a big part of why anybody can shoot them well. Both will still be running when you teach your grandkids how to shoot.

That pretty much sums it up. Without going exotic (Smith & Wesson 41), the Ruger MK series or Browning Buckmarks both have longevity as being among the best for quality, accuracy, and retained value. I've had both, along with some of the more modern alternatives (i.e. P22, Neos). Although right now I'm partial to my Brownings, I would recommend either the Ruger or Browning. They are both good enough to where the decision should be aesthetics and/or personal fit.

Guest tomcat4224
My dad is wanting to buy a .22 semi auto for target shooting. Whats the best semi, he doesnt want to spend a fortune but wants a reliable easy to clean gun. So please help opinions.

I looked at several and shot several. I ended up with a S&W model 22a. Put several hundred rounds through it today. Not 1 misfire or jam. I used CCI,Federal,even remington ammo without a hiccup. Very accurate for the first time with it.

S&W 41 is likely the best, also most expensive,

then the various Rugers hard to put back together if you take them apart,

then the Browning Buckmark

Easy to take apart if needed,

accurate enough,

mine feels good in my hand EXCEPT for the grips, but not bad enough that I have ever gotten around to make a new set either.

Guest Kamikaze
I looked at several and shot several. I ended up with a S&W model 22a. Put several hundred rounds through it today. Not 1 misfire or jam. I used CCI,Federal,even remington ammo without a hiccup. Very accurate for the first time with it.

I have one and I love it. Very accurate. I can hit a torso sized target at 100 yards 7 out of 10 times with the iron sites. It's the only pistol I own that I can afford to shoot every week.

I have a feeling that is tentatively born out in some reading I have been doing on rimfirecentral that if you were to take the Ruger, Buckmark, S&W 22A/S and S&W 41, Ransom Rest them all and use each gun's favorite ammo I doubt you would see much difference at 25 or 50 yards. I would throw my now discontinued 422/622 & 2206 in that mix also. You could go on and on adding good chambered/barrelled .22 pistols to the list. In general it seems that as each barrel/chamber is designed to shoot pretty well. Then it seems it comes down to trigger, action impulse and ergonomics and how each fits the use and user. I am glad that Tomcat4224 went with a S&W 22A. For most uses I think that the 22A is a very under rated pistol. I sort of talked a friend into getting a good looking used Sig Mosquito once, that Mosquito turned out to be the worst .22 pistol I have ever seen. Subsequent to my friend's Mosquito purchase I had fallen into a good deal for a 22A, which my Mosquito owning friend got to shoot. Yeah, he got it from me for a good price because I sort of felt guilty about encouraging him to get the Mosquito. Then one day a couple of fellas who fancy themselves .22 pistol shooters were hoorawing my friend for having a 22A at the range, after which he outshot them at all distances. Stick with the main players in the .22 pistol game and it would be hard to go wrong. One last thing about gun snobs. It seems to me that quite a few folks who spend "enormous" amounts of money on a gun assume that lesser priced guns are inherently inferior. I would suggest than any of the main player .22 makers make their mass produced guns at a price and with a process that does sometimes leave room for some improvements from an otherwise generally serviceable gun for most users. I do know that if you take an hour or two and about 80.00 worth of aftermarket parts you can make the much mass produced Ruger MK series shoot good enough except for the most well-trained bullseye shooters. If I can figure out how to shorten the Ruger's trigger reset distance I could eliminate just a tad more creep or pretravel.