Hunting knife?

I debated on whether to place this here or the knife section of the forum, but figured I'd put it here.

Need recommendations for a good, affordable knife to use for deer guttin'. Key word is "affordable", as I'm a new hunter and having to spend a lot of money on a lot of stuff.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots to choose from. What I like is a folding knife with a strong locking mechanism. It needs to have to two things on it for me. 1) a drop point blade with a gut hook 2) bone saw. This setup has worked best for me. The gut hook makes it easy to open up the skin without going to deep and puncturing any of the guts. The bone saw works great at splitting the rib cage for easier access.

Something like this but I like the gut on the back of the drop point so it is only two blades.

yhst-93727123504836_2114_10955011

KahrMan, thats a nice knife. I prefer a folding knife. I actually use a scabbord, fixed position knife. Its a Shrade with a gut hook. Not a bad knife for $25. I've field dressed about 6 deer with it and have never sharpened it. Its got the original factory sharpening.

To be brutally honest, any knife will do.

Whatever you have in your pocket, right now, is all you need to field dress a deer.

Save your money & (I can't stress this enough) DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON THE HUNTING SHOWS!!!!!! You really don't need 99.9% of the crap they tout on TV & in the magazines.

There really are only 2 essentials that you needto deer hunt.

1) A rifle.

2) & this is optional- a treestand.

Best camo? Whatever you've got. It all works

Best knife? see above

Best Ammo? Anything not FMJ

Best scent killer? None of them

Best call? All of them

Best attractant scents? Whatever

Too many hunters these days are caught in the trap of buying the latest & greatest of everything (And more power to 'em!) to make hunting as easy as possible.

Sorry, preachy rant off :)

Guest tnfireman
To be brutally honest, any knife will do.

Whatever you have in your pocket, right now, is all you need to field dress a deer.

Save your money & (I can't stress this enough) DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON THE HUNTING SHOWS!!!!!! You really don't need 99.9% of the crap they tout on TV & in the magazines.

There really are only 2 essentials that you needto deer hunt.

1) A rifle.

2) & this is optional- a treestand.

Best camo? Whatever you've got. It all works

Best knife? see above

Best Ammo? Anything not FMJ

Best scent killer? None of them

Best call? All of them

Best attractant scents? Whatever

Too many hunters these days are caught in the trap of buying the latest & greatest of everything (And more power to 'em!) to make hunting as easy as possible.

Sorry, preachy rant off :)

+1

I do use a scent killer, scent a way at walmart is cheap and good. I also use it on my fire fighting gear.

Appreciate the input. I've yet to actually gut a deer, but from the youtube videos I've been watching, it looks like it doesn't take any super fancy knife. I might try to find one that has the gut hook. Thanks guys.

Hardest part about field dressing any deer is cracking that pelvic bone. I have a Gerber camp hatchet in my bag for that. Couple of whacks, pull the bone out, finish pulling the guts through and start dragging. Affordable part of any hunting bag.

Gerber 45912 GerberTool Back Axe - Sheath - Clam

I've used both the gut hook knifes and the none gut hooks. Either will work. For the non hook knife, just put your pointing finger along the backside of the knife and use it to raise the skin away from the diaphragm. You will easily be able to run the skin and fur section up your finger and onto the knife blade and just "unzip" the deer.

Hardest part about field dressing any deer is cracking that pelvic bone.

Speaking of that part, look at the video below. Did I miss something or is this guy doing it a different way without cracking the pelvic bone?

I enjoy a good knife. It doesn't have to be a custom 300.00 knife to be a good knife either. I like a smaller fixed blade knife for field dressing, but a good Buck folder is a nice choice. The BUCK Omni hunter line is a nice knife. They can be had in folding or fixed and I have seen them on the web for around 30.00.

Like WD-40 said, I don't like gut hooks on my knife. I have poked my fingers with them everything I used them. I use a Boker Arbolito 520HH, that can be had for about 50.00. I also have a couple of the Gerber Gators that I keep in packs and vests and have cleaned several deer with.

to me there is no reason to brake the pelvic bone, but some people do. the main reason I dont is that I cant stand the sound of the bones braking. I know im odd. the only thng that the video didnt tell you is that when you cut open the gut you will be introduced to the wonderful smell of intrells. oh and I use utility knife,they are cheap and easy to change blades

Guest bigbovine

I have a question, why crack that pelvic bone. The reason i ask is I have never done this. It may be that it serves a purpose later? I have field dressed plenty of deer and have never been taught this nor heard it being done. Please explain and do not tell me to look at you tube or something, I am on dialup. As far as knives go. I have used several, but my latest is a plain gerber gator. My favorite is a buck folder but I hate taking it apart to clean. And on robtatto comment , 2 items, gun and knife. I've gone in work clothes, street clothes, camo, you name it, still get the deer.

KB

Okay, that's one way. He did not break the pelvic bones. Easier to do on a doe than a buck that way but if you can trim the anus far enough up in there, obviously it can be done. I just don't like all that trimming inside where I can't see.

RW way. Put em on their back like he finally did. If its a doe, just go down one thigh or the other making your first slit. About where he ended up. If it's a buck, you gotta be a bit gross but grab the penis and cut under it and back to the scrotum and let it hang to one side then go down the inside of a thigh. You will hit bone! The pelvis. You will also be able to trim back some of that muscle tying the whole area together and keeping the hind legs together. Once you can see the pelvis, go just up from it to the lower abdominal cavity and make your slit through the skin and diaphragm. Remember he showed you his "small" knife and how he had a finger on the back of the blade? He almost had it right there. Move your pointing finger up the blade till about a quarter inch of your finger is in front of the blade. This will be your guide to keep the knife from slicing into any guts. That way he was cutting over his other hand was scary! If you have a gut hook, same thing, just get a finger in beside the gut hook. Now work your way forward to the breast plate. I do go all the way through the brisket as I like to see above the heart and lungs when I sever them. Reach as high as you can see and cut the wind pipe. I stop at this point and come back to the pelvis. I take the hatchet and crack both sides of the pelvis, you'll see the weakest spots or you can trim and feel for them. It's easier to put the hatchet on the bone and then hit it with a stick, they are usually lying around everywhere. Barring that, a smaller deer you can crack with just hitting it with your hand. Be really careful if you have to swing down as the bladder is right below this bone. Once you crack both sides, pull or pry the cap off and you should see the canal with the intestine leading to the anus. Go back to the top and just pull and trim the entire gut pile pulling down and to one side. Trim a little around the anus as you can now actually see the areas that are attached and pull it all to the side. Roll em over to drain and get them hung as soon as possible.

If your close to your camp or in our case cabin, the easiest way ever is to go ahead and hang em up by the head and do all this where you can just stand next to them. Only difference is dont severe that wind pipe till you have cracked that pelvic bone as the whole gut pile is going to gravity assist right out and in your way.

Guest bigbovine

I take it from what you siad that cracking of the bone makes things less messier. If that is all i will pass. Years of butcher work and meat processing may have dulled me on that part. Seems like a lot of trouble to do that, when i can just grab, trim, pull, trim, and out.

From what I have observed, grabbing and pulling mean a lot more urine...they tend to rip the bladder and urethra apart. This way it all falls out. To each his own. I know I can generally gut one about 2 to 3 minutes quicker than the video and don't need anyone's help to do it as the hind legs spread easier when you have those first cuts done. Whatever works cuz it's all gonna be VENISON. Yaa Venison!

Oh, forgot the other cool part. Save the bladder of a big boy buck and use it the next morning as your cover scent. Better options on a 2 fer the weekend!!

And save those tarsals for drag lines. KB, there are two black patches of fur on the hind legs, you need to get rid of those immediately AFTER you gut your buck. Those are the stink glands for lack of a better word. Put em in a sandwich baggie and you can use them as cover scent and lures for a few weeks after you take that one. Just tie some paracord around em and drag em behind your boots.

Guest bigbovine

Yes to each his own. I have never stunk up the meat my way, but thats what it is, My way. Maybe your way is better (easier to teach) especially for beginners. Never had a prob with fecal or urine. Figure the best way for yourself, usually it's whatever you are taught when you begin. Cannot wait for new season, Ive gotta take up Bow to get in more time. Wife has been hollerin for more Venison, Freezer is empty.

My knife of choice is a Buck 110 folding knife. Keeps a good edge and has been on every hunting trip with me for the past 25 years or so. I don't see the need myself to crack open the pelvic bone until the deer is hung. The bladder and Bung can be removed carfully without cutting the pelvis. However, if you prefer to do so, just carry a small hatchet in you hunting pack.

My knife of choice is a Buck 110 folding knife. Keeps a good edge and has been on every hunting trip with me for the past 25 years or so. I don't see the need myself to crack open the pelvic bone until the deer is hung. The bladder and Bung can be removed carfully without cutting the pelvis. However, if you prefer to do so, just carry a small hatchet in you hunting pack.

They are quality knives. They are heavy, however, and the way the tip of the blade is shaped means you will almost certainly bust a gut open with it. I prefer a straight tip; a skinner style blade. I like high dollar knives, but the truth is you can take around $20 to the Walmart sporting goods counter and get a knife that will gut more deer than you'll ever shoot. Gerber, Buck, and Kershaw are all good quality, inexpensive knives sold there. For hunting, I prefer a fixed knife to a folder, but that is purely personal preference.

I like them both. I guess it's all personal preferance. Main thing is to keep it sharp and know where your fingers are at all times. Remember, for the most part you are cutting where you cannot see. Everyone has given good advice here. I only want to add, count your fingers before and after every job....LOL!

I carry a small folding saw that uses Sawzall blades. It has a fine tooth metal blade in it that I use to saw the pelvic bone on bucks. I don't do this on does, I just cut around every thing and pull it through the pelvis. I prefer to cut on bucks, it makes me feel safer removing the bladder and associated parts. I have split the bone with a knife, but it is a PITA. The saw makes easy work of it. My favorite way to clean deer is to not even gut them. I just hang them from their heads before every making a cut and take the quarters off and the backstraps off after skinning. I don't mess with ribs, so no loss there. With this method I lose the inside loins, but on small deer, it's not worth the 3 bites of effort to me.

I carry a small folding saw that uses Sawzall blades. It has a fine tooth metal blade in it that I use to saw the pelvic bone on bucks. I don't do this on does, I just cut around every thing and pull it through the pelvis. I prefer to cut on bucks, it makes me feel safer removing the bladder and associated parts. I have split the bone with a knife, but it is a PITA. The saw makes easy work of it. My favorite way to clean deer is to not even gut them. I just hang them from their heads before every making a cut and take the quarters off and the backstraps off after skinning. I don't mess with ribs, so no loss there. With this method I lose the inside loins, but on small deer, it's not worth the 3 bites of effort to me.

Just out of interest, I generally do the same thing. However, you don't need to lose the tenderloins. Once you've got the hams & backstraps removed, you can cut into the body cavity down the side of the spine, where it meets the pelvis, reach up & forwards into the cavity & remove them easily. You don't need to cut them out. You'll be able to seterate the back end from the pelvis with your fingers & then just pull them clear. No mess, no fuss, no waste.